Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,408,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illininutt View Post
My unemployment ended at 126 weeks. A month later I got an email saying Illinois gets 20 or so more weeks. I'm up to week #135 now and still going. The sea-quest-ter will cut me short...just living it up till it does!
I knew, if I just looked, I would find something positive about the sequester. And here it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 02:50 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,566,305 times
Just got two really great links from Darexpa1. Great info on both:

Quote:
In the states with the most severe cuts in unemployment:

North Carolina ended all federal EUC benefits on July 1st, cutting off EUC payments to an estimated 70,000 North Carolinians in the state with the fifth highest unemployment rate in the nation.

Maine eliminated the last eight weeks of benefits available to EUC recipients, rather than reducing benefits by a set percentage each week.

Florida eliminated the last four weeks of EUC. [FL's Tier 3 is max 7 weeks (not 9)]

The states with the highest percentage reductions for all weekly EUC benefits are Maryland (22.2%), New Jersey (22.2%), Montana (19.6%), Connecticut (19.2%), Arizona (16.8%) and Illinois (16.8%).

Ten states opted to implement benefit reductions for new EUC claims only, or for new Tier 1 and those moving to next-Tier claims only, which produced more severe cuts to somewhat smaller groups of workers (CA 17.7%, CO 18.2%, NH 16.7%, NM 25%, ND 18%, UT 17%, NE 19.4%, OH 16.4%, WA 21.1%, WY 23.1%).

In California about around 120,000 workers had their EUC benefits reduced by 17.7% in May alone, according to state officials. An estimated 429,000 will experience benefit reductions through September 30th, and 531,000 will do so by year-end, should sequestration continue.

Cuts in Unemployment Benefits Due to Sequester Budget Cuts
NELP chart on state implementation - interesting reading if you're wonky about UE:

http://nelp.3cdn.net/6320ece2f3fe1f26f3_9em6bhlqt.pdf

States w/fewest UE claimants are WY 1,100; ND 800, SD 300. Wonder how many people are working on their UE offices or, in the case of SD, if it has even one dedicated worker?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,199 times
I just got the same letter for Emergency Unemployment for my first Federal extension. I just finished my first 26 weeks and have been paying into unemployment for more than 27 years continuously and only used the program once before for 6 months about 12 years ago. I was barely making ends meet on the $450 per week and now it is reduced to $372 a week. Do you think that if I appeal this new notice that I can get them to reinstate my previous benefit amount? Are there any other changes that I might not have heard about? Thanks!

Old 08-08-2013, 12:59 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,566,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TWenty View Post
I just got the same letter for Emergency Unemployment for my first Federal extension. I just finished my first 26 weeks and have been paying into unemployment for more than 27 years continuously and only used the program once before for 6 months about 12 years ago. I was barely making ends meet on the $450 per week and now it is reduced to $372 a week. Do you think that if I appeal this new notice that I can get them to reinstate my previous benefit amount? Are there any other changes that I might not have heard about? Thanks!
There is absolutely NO appealable issue on sequestration cuts. These are federal cuts imposed on the distribution of federal monies by Congress. CA is merely following Congressional and USDOL orders.

Sequestration has been in place in all the states, in varying forms, beginning April 6th. CA implements its sequester cuts on a staggered basis, so its cuts are higher. More detailed info, here:

Sequestration.

CA announced these cuts long ago. CA has a good page on its benefit program, here:

New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions

Under current legislation, all EUC payments stop with week ending December 28, 2013. Congress may or may not extend the program into 2014.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,199 times
^ Thanks for the information!&nbsp; Much appreciated!&nbsp; <br><br>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment