Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,719 times

Advertisements

hi

really excited to find this board

the faq section was detailed. thank you for taking time to write it.

but i think my question is so obvious it isnt even there.

how much can i work before unemployment is canceled? can i take a part time job? or a fulltime temporary job? and, when i stop working again--does my claim continue where i left off? or do i have to start a whole new claim?

thanks so much.

chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,140,990 times
You don't say how long you've been unemployed. However, what you propose has complications that can leave you with no job and no further entitlement to UI benefits. The system was designed for you to get a new job that is as good or better than you had before. You should avoid applying for a part-time or temporary job until you are collecting EUC benefits.

To answer your questions, your claim can be cancelled in as little as one to two weeks if your earnings cause you to receive no payment under your state's partial benefit formula.

You can take a part-time job, but it is a new job with a new separation issue before you can resume benefits again. Same with a full-time temporary job.

Your claim might pick up where you left off, you might start a new claim, or you might end up with nothing. You might pick up where you leave off, and then find out you just lost your entitlement to EUC benefits.

The reason the question isn't addressed is because it is so complicated and the situations are very much based on your individual circumstances, and sometimes as little as a day or a dollar can make all the difference in the world.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,574,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You might pick up where you leave off, and then find out you just lost your entitlement to EUC benefits.

Read this thread:

California Unemployment: Do I take this job or not?

The issues discussed at the above link are not specific to California.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:16 PM

thanks.

why is it better to wait until euc benefits kick in before getting a job?

are they more lenient on paying you again when the work ends?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispuffer View Post
why is it better to wait until euc benefits kick in before getting a job?
Your answer is on that link - in detail. Read that link. Pay close attention to post #9 on that link.

Quote:
are they more lenient on paying you again when the work ends?
Not always. Depends on what your last employer says when you reopen the claim. Many temp agencies lie and say you quit.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-10-2013 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Don't think we're telling you not to work, we're just telling you not to work at just any job. A job that is as good or better than the job you lost should be a no brainer provider them is some longevity to it.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM

thanks everyone.

really helpful.

it's frustrating to me though because i keep getting offers of jobs that are short-term, but it seems like the system encourages me not to take them and keep taking unemployment until it completely runs out.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Those temp jobs will still be there after your benefits run out, and that is when you take them or when the math works out and sets you up for a new claim.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM

thanks chyvan and ariadne.

i promise this is my last question.....

is the federal extension different than the california benefits? if i qualify for it--does it work the same way regarding part time or short term work? or is it more lenient? thanks.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
is the federal extension different than the california benefits? if i qualify for it--does it work the same way regarding part time or short term work? or is it more lenient? thanks.
Yes, the federal extension is different than state benefits.

Not sure what you mean are federal benefits more lenient? In what way lenient?

Closing and reopening a claim - whether you are collecting state or federal benefits - require the same process. The state investigates why you are no longer working.

Financially requalifying for a new state claim while collecting EUC does not change, either. Each state has its own thresholds. CA's earnings threshold is not NJ's, is not PA's, is not NC's, etc.

If you have begun collecting federal benefits (EUC), and then later, because of new earnings, qualify for a new state claim (the states must test for eligibility quarterly), you retain the right to continue the federal benefits which you are already collecting on your first claim.

If the new state claim provides a benefit of $100 or 25% below that of your first claim, under HR4213 (aka PL 111-205), payment on the new lower paying state claim will be deferred until you exhaust your federal benefits under the first claim.

All states have the ability to implement HR4213 if, while you are collecting EUC benefits, your earnings trigger a new, lower-paying state claim.

It is really very simple. Just don't work until you have begun federal EUC benefits.

Finally, do you know if your current claim qualifies for EUC? If it doesn't, then all this discussion on preserving your rights to federal EUC does not apply to you at this time.

What state are you in?
What is monetary determination of your claim?
What is your weekly benefit?
What quarters & $$ amount of earnings were used to establish this claim?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-10-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment