Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM

25,633 posts, read 56,825,752 times

Advertisements

Copied this to your original thread, for continuity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyr2 View Post
UPDATE:

I am apparently back on Tier 1 EUC - account shows Tier 1 Benefit balance and I was able to claim weeks with no apparent issues today.

Hoping for a nice surprise in my bank account on Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM

58 posts, read 161,291 times
Thanks....

I am now trying to figure next steps, assuming an EUC extension.

Ideally a job in the near future...that would free me from my "injury" job and able to resign as part of an acceptable settlement.

I assume if I were to resign from this job anytime soon, it would raise red flags with UI, so am inclined to let things alone for a few weeks.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Back on EUC Tier 1 but with payment questions

I am confirmed back on my Tier 1 benefits in Florida. First payment issued yesterday for one week, but not clear how they arrived at it.

I started Tier 1 in April 2012 with EUC Weekly benefit amount of $275 and EUC balance of $5500 = 20 weeks of benefits at $275/week. I was told by UC that after I came off WC and was able/available for work, this Tier would restart, and it has . (Thanks, Ariadne22 for your help in explaining this!)

BUT- They have issued me a $54.00 payment for W/E 12/8/12, my first paying week. (I thought I only had to serve 1 waiting week - are they considering this a NEW EUC claim?) I claimed on 11/25/12 and they said W/E 12/1/12 was the waiting week.

At $54.00 for one week, that is 19.6% of my WBA - where did they get that number?

Anyway- how do I know the correct amount I am supposed to be getting when I consider the below from Dept. of Labor:

"For all new EUC08 First Tier claims established for a week ending after
September 2, 2012 (in most states, this is the week ending September 8, 2012),
the maximum entitlement is reduced
to the lesser of 54 percent (from 80 percent)
of the maximum regular Unemployment Compensation (UC) entitlement or 14
times (from 20 times) the regular UC weekly benefit amount."

But, I believe THIS applies to me: (again from DOL)

Individuals whose accounts were established with EUC08 First Tier amounts
before the maximum entitlement was reduced will (if otherwise eligible) continue
to receive the balance of their EUC08 First Tier until exhaustion or the final
payable week of EUC08, whichever happens first.

I have a call in to them, but anyone who can shed some light on this would help.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM

Resign my ON CALL job?

How would resigning my on call position - where I have not worked since June and whose insurance company is offering a settlement of my WC claim if I resign, affect my unemployment benefits? I was receiving EUC Tier 1 and assuming they continue as part of the new law, how would this resignation affect me?

I have had NO contact with the employer for some time and even after notifying them that I reached MMI on 11/28/12 and can work without restrictions. This on-call position has no regular hours and only works as needed, which is infrequently under normal circumstances. I have no sense that the employer wants me back.

Any ideas? I am in Florida.

Is this resignation to close a WC case something that will jeopardize my unemployment? My WC attorney did not know as he doesn't do unemployment.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM

EUC and Employment Status update and questions:

First - Thanks to all posters (and especially Ariadne22)- I have learned a LOT on here!

"Since you had begun receiving EUC before your bye, you should have contacted FL to reopen your old claim. Then, because it was past your benefit year, FL would first attempt to open a new claim. They are required to do this. Since you had no wages to support a new claim, FL will then deny your new claim application and resume paying you EUC."

DONE - They denied my new claim filed 12/1/12 (not enough wages) and have resumed paying me EUC.

"Normal resumption of EUC is routine. Employer will be notified. An issue might arise if your employer contests resumption of these benefits. If that happens, then FL investigates, you deal with the issues as they arise."

Did have issues in resuming EUC that needed adjudication that delayed my first EUC weeks. I found these out after claiming first EUC weeks on 12/11/12 and getting no payment. Had an adjudicator e-mail me requesting complete info on my separation and WC issues noted below.

Health - DEO cleared this issue 12/12/12 (Medically cleared to work without restriction)
Employment -Termination from part-time employer for exceeding medical leave (not the one I was injured at)- DEO cleared on 12/18/12. I have no idea whether they contacted my other employer (the one where I was injured).
Worker's Comp - Cleared 12/21/12 - (no longer receiving WC benefits).

Both the employment and WC issues above were deleted on 12/21/12.
On 12/26/12 (After seeing "No weeks to claim") I got verbal confirmation that I was back on EUC and all weeks would be paid in a couple of days- and they were, except for an offset where my first EUC week was one in which I also received a WC payment. I did receive Determinations from DEO reflecting that I am cleared to work and not receiving WC.

SO - With the extension of EUC, I think I am fine except for the following:

1. Did the issues I had to have adjudicated "re-qualify" me for resumption of EUC? Since I was declared monetarily ineligible for a new claim, it seems to me that these issues were adjudicated to do that. Is this standard for the resumption of EUC after break in EUC?
2. I still have the issue of the employer where I was injured. DEO has an entry in my file (entered after I filed my claim) that shows the status I chose on my denied claim- on permanent layoff (as the position has no scheduled hours, and I have not worked for them since June, have no expectation of being scheduled to work, and even since informing them that I am fully cleared to work, have not heard a word from them). One of the descriptions of this status when I filed was -"Employer has no work for you". I thought this was accurate then and do so even more strongly now.

With all the adjudication that I have had, I have no idea how DEO sees my status with this employer or whether it even matters. It looks to me that any issues DEO had are resolved, but since they did not seem to specifically address this one, I don't know how to think about it when I consider a resignation to accept a WC settlement.

Any ideas would help. Thank you all again for your help.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM

UPDATE:

I'm trying to prepare for ending Tier 1 of EUC and going into Tier 2. (Began Tier 1 in April 2012, interrupted by injury, then resumed with the extension of EUC) My Tier 1 benefit was 20 weeks at $275/week. (Florida's Maximum)

From Florida DEO:
Tiers II or III: Unemployed workers currently receiving benefits on EUC Tiers I or II, can now qualify for the next level of benefits if their current tier is exhausted by the week ending December 21, 2013. EUC Tier II provides 54 percent of an individual’s state claim and Tier III provides 35 percent of the state claim additional benefits.

I am not clear on what the "54% of an individual's state claim" means.
This is from Dept Of Labor:
EUC08 Second Tier: There are no changes.

o The maximum entitlement to EUC08 Second Tier continues to be the lesser of 54
percent of the maximum regular UC entitlement or 14 times the regular UC
weekly benefit amount.

My original Tier 1 Balance was $5500, which equals 20 weeks @ $275. Does this mean my Tier 2 will be 14 weeks at $275? I am having trouble with what "54% of the maximum regular UC entitlement" vs. "14 times the regular UC benefit amount" is.

54% of $5500 = $2970 / 14 X $275 = $3850 - This is the math. Am I correct?

Hopefully this is clear- I've been away from this for a bit and am getting back up to speed to be prepared for a possible drop in benefits.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM

25,633 posts, read 56,825,752 times
Quote:
54% of $5500 = $2970 / 14 X $275 = $3850 - This is the math. Am I correct?
No. $2,970 does not provide 14 weeks' benefits.
Quote:
The maximum entitlement to EUC08 Second Tier continues to be the lesser of 54 percent of the maximum regular UC entitlement or 14 times the regular UC weekly benefit amount.

My original Tier 1 Balance was $5500, which equals 20 weeks @ $275. Does this mean my Tier 2 will be 14 weeks at $275?
Yes. Tier 2, for you, is $275 for 14 weeks. However, tier benefits are calculated as a percentage of your "regular UC entitlement" (state benefits) - not as a percentage of any of your tiers (federal benefits).

Therefore, if your "maximum regular (state) UC entitlement" was 26 weeks @ $275, or $7,150,

Tier II is 54% x $7,150, or $3,861 divided by $275 weekly benefit - or 14 weeks.

Per FAQS:
Quote:
The weekly benefit rate remains the same throughout the life of the claim.

Tier benefits are a percentage of the original monetary determination, divided by the weekly benefit amount, to arrive at the actual number of weeks available per tier.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/25250900-post6.html

Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM

Thanks - you do a fantastic job!

Given all my previous issues, I want to stay ahead of the curve. As they have just ended my Food Stamps, I need to know what income I will have going forward.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM

I have 3 more weeks to claim in EUC Tier 1 and am waiting for notification that I am moving into Tier 2. I read the "Ugh...confused again on tiers thread" and want to be clear on my situation, especially as it seems the sequester cut will be implemented right as I transition to Tier 2. (I'm in Florida)

I should get 14 weeks of Tier 2 benefits, and while I thought that was automatic -meaning whatever the unemployment rate was, I now see from EUC Trigger Notice 2013 -7 that Florida shows a 3 month TUR for period ending December 2012 of 8.2 and shows both Tiers 2 and 3 as ON.

Can I assume I will go to Tier 2(FL being above the 6% trigger), and then if the TUR is above 7%, go on to Tier 3?

I am not clear on the qualifying dates to exhaust tiers and move on, but is the above correct?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,215 times
I am on EUC in Florida from my original claim filed 04/21/2012. Today I filed my claim entered the weeks work searches etc. did not receive a payment. Called the office and they said that since my original claim was filed on 04/21/2012 and I have not worked since I am not eligible for EUC?? is that correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment