Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,142,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennieb25 View Post
ok. thank you for the clarification. I was not aware of some of the items you posted.

Ladies...please understand I have honestly been looking for full-tim work in my field (Human Resources) for 14 months...(even when I was pregnant)...and NOTHING.

As you know, I do have a child. He is 9 months...was born October 2011. When my unemployment runs out...I will have nothing. I have no one to fall back on..no family or friends. I am on my own. I will be evicted. They just evicted a couple across from me in the next apartment....

I'm at a loss here....I truly am.

I'm in the same boat, which is why I have decided to accept $10,000 less than what I was making at my last job because it will be better than $0. And I will just have to work my way back up from there. But the main thing would be I'm able to stay in my APT and pay bills which is the main goal right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,142,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
When the UI runs out, you resort to TANF and in AZ they call it section 8 housing, and medicaid.

Start researching it now so you're ready to apply the second you get your last check.

What about for a single man with no kids? Nothing?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,154,156 times
You can get food stamps, liheap, lifeline phone discount, maybe a low income utility discount for gas/electric if your utility companies offer anything like that.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:46 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,412,662 times
Quote:
You can get food stamps, liheap, lifeline phone discount, maybe a low income utility discount for gas/electric if your utility companies offer anything like that.
Not if you have anything in savings, at least not in CA. Just kills me too. If I hadn't found a job before benefits ran out, I would have been living off the savings. Yet CA expects you to deplete the savings before you qualify...so, they want me to get to the abslute WORST place I could be, with no money whatsoever to pay ANY bills, and then they will give me food stamps and other discounts.

Thanks (insert sarcasm)

Old 07-11-2012, 03:14 AM

241 posts, read 1,020,815 times
In CA if you're unemployed and want food stamps, u have to work for them. They won't give them to you just like that.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:42 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,154,156 times
I can't speak to what CA does, but in AZ, you had to have less than $2,000 in the bank for a single person with no dependents. I took my surplus and paid off my credit cards knowing in all probability I'd be able to charge them back up. I got my savings to $1,999, and just charge stuff on my credit cards now and make minimum payments.

If it starts to look like it'll take more than my natural life expectancy to pay them off, I'll wait until I'm on SS (not garnishable), file bk, and kiss the debt good bye.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,686,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
What about for a single man with no kids? Nothing?
Yep. That's the case in Indiana. No medical anyway. Families get priority for section 8 and there are waitlists two years long in many areas. I think you can only get like 3 months of emergency food stamps if you are single. You can't get welfare if you are single and don't have kids.

A relative of mine is pregnant and is having trouble getting on Medicaid. She has no money and no savings.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 AM

6,898 posts, read 22,576,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
A relative of mine is pregnant and is having trouble getting on Medicaid. She has no money and no savings.
She needs to keep trying. My daughter was in the same boat in SC and she finally did get on. Because she is pregnant it shouldn't take too long.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,412,662 times
Quote:
I can't speak to what CA does, but in AZ, you had to have less than $2,000 in the bank for a single person with no dependents. I took my surplus and paid off my credit cards knowing in all probability I'd be able to charge them back up. I got my savings to $1,999, and just charge stuff on my credit cards now and make minimum payments.

If it starts to look like it'll take more than my natural life expectancy to pay them off, I'll wait until I'm on SS (not garnishable), file bk, and kiss the debt good bye.
It was an option I considered, LOL. Luckily I made it ok on UI until I found something else. It was just frustrating. I looked into it thinking it would help me be able to pay the bills, as the UI did not cover everything. And I was also irritated as, unlike UI, welfare IS paid for by my tax dollars. So I work, pay my taxes, put money in savings, live within my means, and I am rewarded by being penalized for putting money in savings. I can understand if it was a large benefit amount (I would have received something like $30/month anyway) or long term. But darn it, there SHOULD be something that allows a "short term" qualification if you are on UI...especially if it is because of a layoff. I even did that right and didn't quit or get fired!!!! I guess my vent is that I did everything the way I was supposed to, and in order to get $30/month I was required to deplete the savings that was allowing me to make the bills. And I don;t really have any CC debt...paying all of it off usually is about $150/month of my budget as I do not carry balances. So, I was annoyed.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,278 times
I'm back to work but I don't get a check till 2 weeks at work if I stop calling unemployment to I still get those 2 last checks from them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment