Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM

170 posts, read 316,616 times

Advertisements

Does anyone find this annoying? I was caught off guard by this interviewer and the person on the other line was hard to hear. I thought she was going to schedule an interview but rather that, she didn't give me a chance to say anything and asked me about myself.

I know I didn't get that job for sure but I felt it was pretty unprofessional What do you guys think? Or was I wrong for not memorizing my pitch and not having their listing in front of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Well to be honest when someone is looking for work they can't be "caught off guard". Now if you answer the phone and you're on line at the supermarket I think it is OK to say the interviewer "I'm at the store would it be possible for me to call you back in a half hour".

Any reasonable person would understand that. If they didn't, you probably don't want to work there.

But when your phone rings you have to be ready to carry on a conversation and always answer the phone with the right tone of voice.

If you want to avoid getting a call while you're shopping or driving, then let it go to VM. But if you answer the phone you need to ready to have an intelligent conversation.

And it's also OK to say "excuse me I'm having a hard time hearing you". They may have you on a speaker phone or a bad connection with their cell phone, but you have to tell them that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment