Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM

12,157 posts, read 6,013,501 times

Advertisements

First off - many thanks to Adriane for the help with my 2nd claim - I've searched these forums and the net and don't see an answer to my question so I hope someone can help.

1st claim filed 1/1/11 after lay off - worked at the company 18yrs as an xray tech - salary $20 hr. - received max NY benefit of $405 a week

May 7,2011 - hired as a medical receptionist - salary $13.50 hr. - let go Aug. 11,2011 and was able to claim again on 1st claim

1/8/12 - bye - because I had employment they started a new claim - good news - receiving $405 due to previous high quarters. Used 36 weeks on 1st claim before starting new claim.

Now the question - I have 26 weeks of ui on this new 2nd claim - after the 26 weeks am I entitled to additional tiers, does it revert to the old tiers on my 1st claim or am I finished with unmployment all together?

Looking daily for jobs but have received no call backs - xray field flooded here and I feel that due to my age - 54 - I haven't gotten jobs in the medical field as receptionist or secretary, although I qualify with my experience in the office setting.

Thanks to who ever can help me out. I know you all see repetitive questions - but for those of us who have worked all our lifes and are now finding ourselves unemployed - it's a confusing situation. And we really do appreciate all your advise - to make it more understandable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 AM

6,910 posts, read 22,640,282 times
I believe you go back to Claim I tiers until they are exhausted or until legislation stops payments but let Ardiane22 confirm as she is the most knowledgeable on these matters. Are you in a position to relocate? Might be something to consider.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM

131 posts, read 353,204 times
It all depends on if congress extends the dates for EUC. If they extend the dates so that EUC is still available when you exhaust your new regular state claim, you should be placed back on whatever tier you were on from your first claim. After that you will run through the rest of the tiers on your first claim and then if EUC is still available you would be able to start EUC on your 2011 claim.

I'll let Ariadne22 correct me if I am wrong on any of this, since she really goes in depth and gives great, accurate answers.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:34 PM

25,608 posts, read 56,731,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
1st claim filed 1/1/11 after lay off - worked at the company 18yrs as an xray tech - salary $20 hr. - received max NY benefit of $405 a week

May 7,2011 - hired as a medical receptionist - salary $13.50 hr. - let go Aug. 11,2011 and was able to claim again on 1st claim

1/8/12 - bye - because I had employment they started a new claim - good news - receiving $405 due to previous high quarters. Used 36 weeks on 1st claim before starting new claim.

Now the question - I have 26 weeks of ui on this new 2nd claim - after the 26 weeks am I entitled to additional tiers, does it revert to the old tiers on my 1st claim or am I finished with unmployment all together?
NY should revert to remaining tiers on the 2011 claim. That said, NY has in the past routinely paid tiers from the current claim (in your case 2012) until its bye - contrary to EUC regs. Let us know what happens, here. I'm curious if they are still continuing this practice. Good for you, if they do, as it keeps your rights to 2012 tiers intact past the bye of this second claim. Normally, if you do not begin receiving EUC on a claim prior to its bye, your rights to those EUC benefits are lost.

All of the above, of course, is predicated on Congress continuing to extend the EUC legislation.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM

12,157 posts, read 6,013,501 times
Thank you for all the knowledge! You all do such a great service for us! Had my Dept of Labor meeting today to let us know what help in finding a job is available. Signed up to take a class on tips for the "Mature" unemplyed so hopefully will get some new ideas.

The meeting room today was almost filled to the max and most were 45 yrs plus. Something new from last year is that they had a Dept of Labor assistant talk to each of us afterwards briefly to see how the job search was going. Also they said that we can expect to be called in for a job audit after 3/4 months if we are still collecting benefits. This is entirely new from last year but there must not be as many new claims opening.

Does anyone know of a site that gives real numbers of the unemployed per state that would include those that have used up their 99 / 93 weeks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment