Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 37,626 times

Advertisements

Is it true though, that even if the NJ legislators re-approve the 3 year loopback, that the EB will expire in March 2012 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 PM

25,633 posts, read 56,816,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkiehound View Post
Is it true though, that even if the NJ legislators re-approve the 3 year loopback, that the EB will expire in March 2012 ?
At this point, yes, unless NJ reverts to 50/50 federal state funding. With your governor, that may be hard.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM

14 posts, read 31,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
At this point, yes, unless NJ reverts to 50/50 federal state funding. With your governor, that may be hard.
This is incorrect. NJ must BY LAW pay EB, if triggers are met. If they revert To The 3 Year Lookback (as expected), EB Will Be Paid, until the 110% trigger is no longer met. 100%, Or 50/50 HAS NO BEARINGS ON EB PAYMENTS IN NJ! NJ is one of about 5 states like that, where EB Is Paid Even With 50/50 Funding. Mr. Christie really has no bearing on that fact.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
That is not true. Assuming The 3 Year Lookback Is Re-Instated, EB WILL END WHEN THE 110% TRIGGER IS NO LONGER MET. 100% FUNDING WHICH ENDS IN MARCH HAS NO BEARING ON EB PAYMENTS IN NJ.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYSINN2012 View Post
That is not true. Assuming The 3 Year Lookback Is Re-Instated, EB WILL END WHEN THE 110% TRIGGER IS NO LONGER MET. 100% FUNDING WHICH ENDS IN MARCH HAS NO BEARING ON EB PAYMENTS IN NJ.
Not according to the article you linked:
Quote:
The Legislature unanimously passed similar legislation (S-2680/A-3795) earlier this year after the federal government extended UI benefits until Tuesday. The legislation was signed by Gov. Chris Christie in April. Sweeney and Oliver said the new legislation that will be introduced will include a trigger that will automatically extend the benefits at the state level should the federal government extend them again at any future date.

N.J. legislative Democrats say they will approve extended unemployment benefits by Jan. 9 | State | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.
I read that to mean NJ's lookback will parallel the feds, expiring when the federal lookback does. Right now federal lookback expires February 29th. Which means NJ's EB, even if lookback is corrected, is tied to that date, as well.

Or, is NJ decoupling its lookback from feds? And, if it is, what funds will NJ use to pay 'mandated' EB if it is not in compliance with federal regs IF fed lookback reverts to 2 years on February 29?

Newspaper article says NJ will track federal legislation - not go beyond it.

Do you have more up to date information?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-30-2011 at 08:34 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Not according to the article you linked:
I read that to mean NJ's lookback will parallel the feds, expiring when the federal lookback does. Right now federal lookback expires February 29th. Which means NJ's EB, even if lookback is corrected, is tied to that date, as well.

Or, is NJ decoupling its lookback from feds? And, if it is, what funds will NJ use to pay 'mandated' EB if it is not in compliance with federal regs IF fed lookback reverts to 2 years on February 29?

Newspaper article says NJ will track federal legislation - not go beyond it.

Do you have more up to date information?
Well That's a different story then. I was referring to the fact that NJ pays, and has paid EB EVEN WHEN FUNDING WAS 50/50, while many other states did not. This is what I was referring to. You are correct, that NJ can only lookback 3 Years if the fed reg's allow it. I was referring to the fact that NJ paid EB, when Federal Funding stopped The Payments in most other states. Fair point

Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,309 times
I was trying to file for my Tier 3 benefits today and I have quite some money in there. I have been collecting for 52 weeks as of today and it wouldn't let me and the pop-up said that I have exhausted all my benefits. I don't get it??? Did anyone else have this problem when they went to file online??? Please help!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 AM

166 posts, read 793,237 times
At the 52 week mark I understand you have to re-certify. You have to call on the phone and answer some questions and they then release payment and you can to back to claiming online again.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,281 times
Can someone please help explain this to me? I just don't understand all the previous answers and am worried that I will be cut off soon.....I went on unemployment July 14 2011, am i getting unemployment only until the end of Januray 2012 or am i eligible for extended benefits?

Old 01-01-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
Can someone please help explain this to me? I just don't understand all the previous answers and am worried that I will be cut off soon.....I went on unemployment July 14 2011, am i getting unemployment only until the end of Januray 2012 or am i eligible for extended benefits?
This thread is about Extended Benefits - not Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Benefits (aka extensions). Extended Benefits are the LAST level of benefits paid after exhaustion of all EUC tier benefits.

At present, through February 29, after exhaustion of state benefits, the legislation provides for:

20 weeks - EUC Tier 1
14 weeks - EUC Tier 2
13 weeks - EUC Tier 3 (trigger 6%)
06 weeks - EUC Tier 4 (trigger 8.5%)
13 weeks - Extended Benefits (trigger 6%)
07 weeks - High Extended Benefits (trigger 8%)

State benefits need to be exhausted not later than February 25 in order to transition to Tier 1. Based on your post, you are well within the eligibility period and will transition to Tier 1 for another up to 20 weeks which can be exhausted in their entirety - but not later than August 15, 2012.

Any further benefits will depend upon Congress extending the legislation beyond February 29th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment