Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,651,709 times

Advertisements

This is a difficult time for everyone and I am sorry for your plight, but at 28 you haven't lived long enough to make such assessments. There have been tough times before, and you will see tougher ones ahead. It is called "testing our metal."

Just a few things to offer that might help.

1. No one (or thing) can make you feel guilty -- that is your exclusive option. If you choose to feel guilty, it is your choice.

2. Read above and insert word "victim" for "Guilty."

3. If you are passionate about your chosen profession, do it and the opportunities will come. If you don't, toss it off as a lesson learned and move to what appeals to you now. In your life's road you will take many turns and some will seem wrong and turn out to be right; others will seem right and turn out to be wrong.

When you get to be my age, you discover that all life's twists and turns have only served to help you understand what kind of person you are, and what kind of person you want to be. I guess if you want to sell dope, that tells us all something there, now doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,499,503 times
It's not Facebook's fault. It's just a medium through which people can selectively present the best parts of their lives as the whole picture.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:43 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,145,576 times
I don't like FB and don't use it but I did have an account briefly - There are stories about people that have lost jobs due to FB - The story I liked best was a photo that was posted on a teacher's FB account of her ande some friends in Germany during OctoberFest - She just so happened to be holding a glass of beer and was fired - I found that so extreme but you don't even have to post nasty comments about a boss - Also what about people that post messages your FB account - I would love to think everyone I know would post with care but you never know -

Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 AM

4,796 posts, read 23,006,268 times
Facebook usually only shows the sunny side. People don't want to read about all the unpleasant things in people's lives. But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Just because someone has a job doesn't mean it's a good job or pays well. Or that they don't have any other problems in their life. And a lot of people leave former jobs listed rather than broadcast that they've been laid off. Your envy may be entirely unfounded.

But if you can't deal with it, don't use facebook. Or 'hide' people that bother you.

But blaming other people and a website isn't going to accomplish anything positive for you. You should spend your energies toward more positive pursuits.

Last edited by kodaka; 08-14-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM

460 posts, read 1,145,615 times
I realize this wouldn't be an ideal career for you, but I see copy/printing places like FedEx Office (they do business cards, printing, etc.) hiring. It's something that would keep the wolves at bay.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,888,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I graduated from college a year and a half ago from a school with a great national reputation. I majored in graphic design because I have always been a talented artist/illustrator. Cynical old out-of-touch voluntary internet guidance counselors may chastise me for not studying nuclear physics, BUT other people I went to school with who majored in the same field as me have been getting good jobs. Maryland is the most recession-proof state but I am still competing with career veterans twice my age. After looking at some of my former classmates' profiles on Facebook, it makes me jealous to find out that many of them have found jobs. I have run into some of my former classmates since. Most of them who have jobs were able to get jobs because of their connections. I know plenty of my other classmates and college buddies who majored in the same thing as me who don't have jobs. Facebook makes life look so easy. In Facebook world, there are no setbacks, there is no struggle, there is no mental strain quarter life crisis or hardship, there is no bad luck, there is no economic downturn; just an easy road to success from what I see on my "friends" profiles. I've had at least seven interviews in the past year with no job offers. I've been unemployed for a year. I apply for jobs everyday. I've applied for many, many low-paying jobs as well leaving my college degrees off the resume. At 28, this is the longest I have ever been unemployed in my life and I've been working since my teens. I have over ten years of work experience and significant internship experience in my field. I have stared down my competition of seven or eight people in group interviews competing for one single position. I have been told by interviewers that I was competing with people with decades of experience. I feel like I am royally f*cked at this point. I live with my mother and my brother and my sister (both of whom are adults over 25) and NONE of us have jobs. We are living off my father's quickly dwindling life insurance money. Homelessness for me is very possible in the near future. Maybe less than a year. I've done everything "right" up to this point in my life but I will probably still be criticized anonymously in these coming comments for it. I might have to live like a pre-Malcolm X "Detroit Red" to survive soon. I think I would have a better shot at financial stability selling weed in California than trying to land one of the very, very few entry level job positions available in my field.

If your graphic design skills are anything like your writing skills it's not a surprise you don't have a job. Seriously the key board has an "enter" key.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:25 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,546,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I graduated from college a year and a half ago from a school with a great national reputation. I majored in graphic design because I have always been a talented artist/illustrator. Cynical old out-of-touch voluntary internet guidance counselors may chastise me for not studying nuclear physics, BUT other people I went to school with who majored in the same field as me have been getting good jobs. Maryland is the most recession-proof state but I am still competing with career veterans twice my age. After looking at some of my former classmates' profiles on Facebook, it makes me jealous to find out that many of them have found jobs. I have run into some of my former classmates since. Most of them who have jobs were able to get jobs because of their connections. I know plenty of my other classmates and college buddies who majored in the same thing as me who don't have jobs. Facebook makes life look so easy. In Facebook world, there are no setbacks, there is no struggle, there is no mental strain quarter life crisis or hardship, there is no bad luck, there is no economic downturn; just an easy road to success from what I see on my "friends" profiles. I've had at least seven interviews in the past year with no job offers. I've been unemployed for a year. I apply for jobs everyday. I've applied for many, many low-paying jobs as well leaving my college degrees off the resume. At 28, this is the longest I have ever been unemployed in my life and I've been working since my teens. I have over ten years of work experience and significant internship experience in my field. I have stared down my competition of seven or eight people in group interviews competing for one single position. I have been told by interviewers that I was competing with people with decades of experience. I feel like I am royally f*cked at this point. I live with my mother and my brother and my sister (both of whom are adults over 25) and NONE of us have jobs. We are living off my father's quickly dwindling life insurance money. Homelessness for me is very possible in the near future. Maybe less than a year. I've done everything "right" up to this point in my life but I will probably still be criticized anonymously in these coming comments for it. I might have to live like a pre-Malcolm X "Detroit Red" to survive soon. I think I would have a better shot at financial stability selling weed in California than trying to land one of the very, very few entry level job positions available in my field.
graphic design is not a good field to go to college for. your getting into a bunch of debt for something you cuold have taught yourself or done at community college.

also, graphic design is worthless unless you also have programing and web design background as well.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:27 PM

3,730 posts, read 4,663,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
It's not Facebook's fault. It's just a medium through which people can selectively present the best parts of their lives as the whole picture.
This.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:41 PM

4,975 posts, read 9,564,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Yes. It is all Facebook's fault.

No...it is the fault of the people doing what they are doing. And we have a choice if we want to engage in that stuff.

That is why I say it is personal propaganda. Anyone can get on there and make an identity for themselves, and many do, to be competitive and attract friends.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,394,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
No...it is the fault of the people doing what they are doing. And we have a choice if we want to engage in that stuff.

That is why I say it is personal propaganda. Anyone can get on there and make an identity for themselves, and many do, to be competitive and attract friends.
Some people sure have a dark view of things. I'm guessing most people just use it as a way to stay in touch with people and don't have any kind of ulterior motives.

But I guess some people are always looking to blame someone for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment