Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 PM

58 posts, read 147,925 times

Advertisements

Last year I lost my job do to another employee lying on me. I admit I didn't make the situation any better. I should've fought but I didn't, I figure it'll be easier to find another job. In the mean time I filed for Unemployment and to my suprise, it was denied. I hit the web and found another job yes! After a few weeks and the stomach pains of being fired, I finally relaxed. Four months go past and my New employee called an emergeny meeting and to my Suprise again 33 of us had been laid off. I again filed for unemployment this time I received it. I guess it picked up from the old claim ( the first job I've lost ). I've been collecting for maybe four months and they sent me a letter stating that my intial claim is about to expire. It asked if I worked since I lost my first job and I did. MY QUESTION is, is this an extention or would I be out of money? I've been on the road appyling for jobs and such but no luck .... Can anyone help me out with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewood_Resident View Post
Last year I lost my job do to another employee lying on me. I admit I didn't make the situation any better. I should've fought but I didn't, I figure it'll be easier to find another job. In the mean time I filed for Unemployment and to my suprise, it was denied. I hit the web and found another job yes! After a few weeks and the stomach pains of being fired, I finally relaxed. Four months go past and my New employee called an emergeny meeting and to my Suprise again 33 of us had been laid off. I again filed for unemployment this time I received it. I guess it picked up from the old claim ( the first job I've lost ). I've been collecting for maybe four months and they sent me a letter stating that my intial claim is about to expire. It asked if I worked since I lost my first job and I did. MY QUESTION is, is this an extention or would I be out of money? I've been on the road appyling for jobs and such but no luck .... Can anyone help me out with this?
Your initial claim filed a year ago is about to expire. UI is now trying to determine whether you qualify for a new claim based on your earnings during your first claim year or whether they should reopen your old claim and have you continue on that.

For your information, HR4213 passed in July removes the penalty for a benefit recalculation when establishing a new claim year if the new benefit is $100 or 25% less than the previous benefit. If this is the case, you are allowed to continue on your old claim at the old benefit rate. Based on the information in your post, you should not be out of benefits.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Your initial claim filed a year ago is about to expire. UI is now trying to determine whether you qualify for a new claim based on your earnings during your first claim year or whether they should reopen your old claim and have you continue on that.

For your information, HR4213 passed in July removes the penalty for a benefit recalculation when establishing a new claim year if the new benefit is $100 or 25% less than the previous benefit. If this is the case, you are allowed to continue on your old claim at the old benefit rate. Based on the information given, you should not be out of benefits.
Okay and correction on my my behalf I started receiving benefits the last two weeks of april so it five months. I remember reading total of 52 week. I am no match genius but I know I am not up to that. Also asking if I worked after my intial claim, the letter mentioned something about " Base Salary ".

Old 09-05-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Okay and correction on my my behalf I started receiving benefits the last two weeks of april so it five months. I remember reading total of 52 week. I am no match genius but I know I am not up to that. Also asking if I worked after my intial claim, the letter mentioned something about " Base Salary ".
When did you first file for unemployment? Was it 52 weeks ago?

The fact that you began receiving benefits in April is not relevant to when your claim year expires. Wages earned at any time during the first claim year are factored into a determination for establishment of a second claim year, etc., as I said above.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
When did you first file for unemployment? Was it 52 weeks ago?

The fact that you began receiving benefits in April is not relevant to when your claim year expires. Wages earned at any time during the first claim year are factored into a determination for establishment of a second claim year, etc., as I said above.

Correct, the intial claim was for 9/20/2009. By filing a new claim is that for the previous job that I just losted? I thought you had to work atleast six months for your employee to start contributing to the fund?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Correct, the intial claim was for 9/20/2009. By filing a new claim is that for the previous job that I just losted? I thought you had to work atleast six months for your employee to start contributing to the fund?
Your wages from your most recent employer - because they were earned during your first claim year - are being used to determine your eligibility for a new claim or a continuation of your old claim. Many people work part-time for various employers for very short periods of time while claiming unemployment and those W-2 wages are considered when establishing a new claim year and/or benefit, or a denial of a new claim and a continuation of the old.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Your wages from your most recent employer - because they were earned during your first claim year - are being used to determine your eligibility for a new claim or a continuation of your old claim. Many people work part-time for various employers while claiming unemployment and those W-2 wages are considered when establishing a new claim year and/or benefit, or a denial of a new claim and a continuation of the old.

Whether or not the employer you have worked for most recently has paid anything in for you is not relevant here. The wages you earned while working for that employer are.
I got cha.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 PM

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment