Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,109 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone can help me.....I live in PA and I was a manager at a hotel and was laid off! In the meantime I worked part time basically making minumum wage. Trying to learn a new trade. Unfortunately it's not working out. I am on tier 3 federal extension. Now they reviewed my claim and I had to reopen a state claim. So my benefits went from 578.00 to 79.00 through my new employer. I don't understand!! The HR 4213 bill states your benefits will no longer be reduced if you work part time???? Is this true? someone told me if I quit what I am doing now to persue other avenues I would be denied by state UC benefits and be able continue my federal extensions......Any info would be really appreciated. I don't understand because I didn't sit around and do nothing trying to start a new line of work I am being penalized??????
Very disheartened.....:-(

Last edited by tgirl2010; 08-29-2010 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 PM

25,592 posts, read 56,602,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgirl2010 View Post
The HR 4213 bill states your benefits will no longer be reduced if you work part time???? Is this true?
HR4213 allows you to continue to collect your original benefit if opening a new claim year reduces your benefit by $100/week or 25%.

You need to talk to someone at PA about this. Call, or better yet, VISIT one of their offices. Mistakes are made all the time by the UEC people and it is possible the rep processing your 'second claim year' either didn't know about HR4213 or made an error. PA is quite liberal when it comes to paying unemployment benefits, so it is important to know WHY they are not complying with the options available to you in HR4213.

Here is text from HR4213. It reads "if permitted by state law" . . .
Quote:
(1) If—
‘‘(A) an individual has been determined to be entitled
to emergency unemployment compensation with respect
to a benefit year,
‘‘(B) that benefit year has expired,
‘‘(C) that individual has remaining entitlement to emergency
unemployment compensation with respect to that
benefit year, and
‘‘(D) that individual would qualify for a new benefit
year in which the weekly benefit amount of regular compensation
is at least either $100 or 25 percent less than
the individual’s weekly benefit amount in the benefit year
referred to in subparagraph (A),
then the State shall determine eligibility for compensation as
provided in paragraph (2).
‘‘(2) For individuals described in paragraph (1), the State
shall determine whether the individual is to be paid emergency
unemployment compensation or regular compensation for a
week of unemployment using one of the following methods:
‘‘(A) The State shall, if permitted by State law, establish
a new benefit year, but defer the payment of regular
compensation with respect to that new benefit year until
exhaustion of all emergency unemployment compensation
payable with respect to the benefit year referred to in
paragraph (1)(A);
‘‘(B) The State shall, if permitted by State law, defer
the establishment of a new benefit year (which uses all
the wages and employment which would have been used
to establish a benefit year but for the application of this
paragraph), until exhaustion of all emergency unemployment
compensation payable with respect to the benefit
year referred to in paragraph(1)(A);
‘‘(C) The State shall pay, if permitted by State law—
‘‘(i) regular compensation equal to the weekly benefit
amount established under the new benefit year,
and
‘‘(ii) emergency unemployment compensation equal
to the difference between that weekly benefit amount
and the weekly benefit amount for the expired benefit
year; or
‘‘(D) The State shall determine rights to emergency
unemployment compensation without regard to any rights
to regular compensation if the individual elects to not file
a claim for regular compensation under the new benefit
year.’’.
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...213enr.txt.pdf
Quote:
The someone told me if I quit I to persue other avenues I would be denied by state UC benefits and continue my federal extensions......(

Quitting a job is often a good reason for denial of benefits. Check your state website for PA allowable reasons.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-29-2010 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 06:30 PM

Thank you so much for the info!! Your right everytime I talk to someone they don't know and keep putting me on hold to talk to a supervisior. I just put an appeal together to mail tomorrow hoping that will shed some light into the situation. The reason is the HR 4213. Just trying to wrap my head around this?????
Thanks again

Old 08-29-2010, 06:39 PM

25,592 posts, read 56,602,609 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the info!! Your right everytime I talk to someone they don't know and keep putting me on hold to talk to a supervisior. I just put an appeal together to mail tomorrow hoping that will shed some light into the situation. The reason is the HR 4213. Just trying to wrap my head around this?????
Thanks again
Print out HR4213 from the attached link, highlight the language and attach it to your appeal.

Can you possibly try to call first and get this straightened out right away? Processing an appeal will take weeks and weeks. Of course mail the appeal before the deadline if you get no satisfaction with a phone call or visit.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Great advice! Your the best........ Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment