Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 AM

260 posts, read 230,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
24/7 - So you are relocated to south Florida...maybe you can tell one of the posters before about UVI on STT. I'm sure your knowledge will be GREATLY appreciated by everyone!
What was it they wanted to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
What was it they wanted to know?

See post #13 in this thread - here's the link:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2555375-post13.html

Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 AM

260 posts, read 230,661 times
Quote:
See post #13 in this thread - here's the link:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2555375-post13.html
I'm afraid I cannot answer that question at the moment and definitely cannot answer from experience. I left home at 17 for school in New York City because back then, what I was looking for was not being taught at the University, but that was light years ago. I've never attended, but my little sister did and is now a graduate.

The only thing I can say for now is that the University got tons and tons of publicity last year because it became the focus of BET's annual College Hill reality show. These shows are filmed at historically black colleges and this past year's series as a huge hit and exposed the university to many potential students. Application rate shot through the roof.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
Hi! We grabbed our lap top to check our email, and I thought I'd send ya'll a greeting from the West End, Tortola. We are sitting at the Jolly Roger Bar...where the food is warm and the beer is cold . The bay is beautiful, the water churning today, the weather beyond words!!!

Two tickets to Paradise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WooHooie!!! Yeah, that and the search for the world's best Painkiller. Gotta keep lookin'. Teehee! Old women have the most fun!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
I lived in Moganheny(sp?) golf course on St. Thomas after the 96' came went thru and was there for a little while. Loved it. I also used to live and work in the out islands of the Bahamas for a period as well. If anyone is looking for a 6-pac captain with sea time and deliveries under his belt let me know. Sailor and sportfish mate and capt.. I used to keep a 22' mako in Red Hook for running around in. Boy we did a job on that boat getting around some of the reefs on Hans Lollik and little Hans Lollik islands. I really miss the USVI but it seems that my work shifted north to the Bahamas and I just haven't gotten back there, great pics.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:17 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,522 times
Default Great Pictures, here some of mine

Hi Sam,
your pictures are great, I especially liked the one from Point Udal. Basically we all stand in the same place when we take the picture pointing west. It's neat to think that many of us have never meet but we have walked or sailed some of the same places.

My wife and I chartered with another couple in the BVI's a couple of years back also, Soggy Dollar Bar, Foxy's all great memories.

Let see if I can do as well as you with attaching some pics
100 - Schooner Roseway on the mooring
17 - Rainbow over Gallows Bay taken from Mount Welcome
93 - Gallows Bay taken from parking lot at Fort Christiansvaern
197 - Lovely little stray dog at the beach east of Gallows Bay (hoping for a home)
143 - Monarch caterpillar on milk week plant
119 - Creque Dam in the rain forest out by Frederiksted
220 - The water in Creque Dam

I hope everyone enjoys,
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-st-croix-100.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-st-croix-017.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-st-croix-093.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-st-croix-197.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-st-croix-143.jpg  

Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-st-croix-119.jpg   Pictures of U.S. and British Virgin Islands-st-croix-220.jpg  

Old 02-01-2008, 10:19 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,522 times
Oops pic 220 is Rose Way underway in Gallows Bay

Old 02-07-2008, 02:46 PM

54 posts, read 200,770 times
Beautiful pics. I would love to move to V.I. one day.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspetite View Post
Beautiful pics. I would love to move to V.I. one day.

Misspetite, the only thing I can say about that is...boy, I feel like a broken record...do your homework diligently. See if you can swing 3-4 weeks of extended stay there before making the leap. Look at all the islands. What fits you aesthetically may not fit you financially. Have a decent chunk of change (and by decent, I'm talking $10K) to get you into an apartment, pay utilities, and drive an island beater until you get a job. That really is barely enough. Be prepared to take a job far out of your field, and maybe two or three jobs.

Island life is not easy. Some people adapt, some don't. You will need to leave your stateside ideas at the airport. They will be neither welcome nor useful once you get immersed in daily living. As a new continental you are low man on the totem pole. Accept that before you get there - most of the locals will not get very chummy with you until they decide you're going to stay, meaning you'll need to be there at least a year or two before you really know anyone other than other continentals, most of whom will disappear during your first year.

It is beautiful. People say they would do anything to live there - and they do, including working four part-time jobs to keep their head above water. I cannot for the life of me understand why you would work so hard just to keep things going but never be able to really enjoy the gorgeous weather and beaches because every free moment is taken up with work or with trying to repair what the salt air just ate up.

It's a completely different life that suits some and not others. It is an adventure for sure, but if you don't get there with some money in your pocket and some street smarts, the ability to adapt, and a very strong work ethic you will be miserable...and that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-28-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 12:43 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
Quote:
Misspetite, the only thing I can say about that is...boy, I feel like a broken record...do your homework diligently. See if you can swing 3-4 weeks of extended stay there before making the leap. Look at all the islands. What fits you aesthetically may not fit you financially. Have a decent chunk of change (and by decent, I'm talking $10K) to get you into an apartment, pay utilities, and drive an island beater until you get a job. That really is barely enough. Be prepared to take a job far out of your field, and maybe two or three jobs.

Island life is not easy. Some people adapt, some don't. You will need to leave your stateside ideas at the airport. They will be neither welcome nor useful once you get immersed in daily living. As a new continental you are low man on the totem pole. Accept that before you get there - most of the locals will not get very chummy with you until they decide you're going to stay, meaning you'll need to be there at least a year or two before you really know anyone other than other continentals, most of whom will disappear during your first year.

It is beautiful. People say they would do anything to live there - and they do, including working four part-time jobs to keep their head above water. I cannot for the life of me understand why you would work so hard just to keep things going but never be able to really enjoy the gorgeous weather and beaches because every free moment is taken up with work or with trying to repair what the salt air just ate up.

It's a completely different life that suits some and not others. It is an adventure for sure, but if you don't get there with some money in your pocket and some street smarts, the ability to adapt, and a very strong work ethic you will be miserable...and that's all I have to say about that.

Quite true my friend! Born and raise in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas ( What we called back then: Oswald Harris Court). Attended Lockhart Elementary School and Addelita Cancryn (Or even before that Wayne Aspinall). Unless you have a real significant amount of money to start out with, you can just forget it. Life is not cheap. It is a struggle for islanders to make it week to week. I know, my family still lives there. I myself wanted out and left at 17. Re-visited back in 2003 and the economy is even worst unfortunately. My sisters however, still love the island and refuses outright to leave. I can't blame them, someone has to stand their ground and preserve our heritage. Other than the cost of living and the economy, it is a beautiful island to visit. Magen's Bay is a wonderful beach to visit. So is Coki Point (pronounced cookie ). I say do careful research first before totally committing yourself to anything. Have lots of fun and be sure to visit Market Square.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-28-2008 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories