Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Basically I teach English...well, in Japan. Have the education, experience, everything...esl/efl.

Just occurred to me that I could go back to the States...and maybe even somewhere like Puerto Rico...and find a job teaching english as a second language...maybe in a community college, who knows.

Just wondering if this is even a possibility.

On an additional note, I have a wife who is working on her AA in Nursing. Wondering if a mainland nurse (in the future) would be able to find nursing work in the PR as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
I haven't moved to PR yet but I think I can answer this. I am actually getting an MA in TESL at Universidad Interamerica de San German (all classes in English). Most universities have English classes and will hire you to teach. If you speak Spanish you may be able to get a public school job, but I don't know if they'll take you with anything less than an MA. And don't expect the big bucks you made in Japan. Just a guess but I think $15,000 a year would be an accurate starting salary.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:27 PM

I do have the MA in Education-TESL.

Yeah, that salary is low...but at least it is technically possible!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 AM

355 posts, read 1,047,209 times
Yup. It is technically possible with an MA. You'll probably have to stick to colleges though.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 AM

81 posts, read 301,471 times
I will tell you that they are in need of English teachers here. my daughter missed the 1st 2 weeks of schools just because they did not have a teacher. If you are bi-lingual and would like to teach wonderful kids in paradise please apply. We really need the teachers on the west coast.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 AM

132 posts, read 290,033 times
I can answer that for you, since I worked for a tech univ. in PR.
YEEEEESSS you will get a job as an ESL teacher or proffessor. All you need is your MA and the teacher certification (from the department of education).

You can also teach in private schools but it's much cheaper. Starting salary IS low $15,000 - $20,000 depending on experience.
You can even get a part-time as an ESL teacher if you need to make extra money.

As for nursing, it's also doable.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoyeno View Post
I can answer that for you, since I worked for a tech univ. in PR.
YEEEEESSS you will get a job as an ESL teacher or proffessor. All you need is your MA and the teacher certification (from the department of education).

You can also teach in private schools but it's much cheaper. Starting salary IS low $15,000 - $20,000 depending on experience.
You can even get a part-time as an ESL teacher if you need to make extra money.

As for nursing, it's also doable.
That is low. I suppose rent is high in San Juan? Or within range of local salaries to be able to afford?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 AM

132 posts, read 290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That is low. I suppose rent is high in San Juan? Or within range of local salaries to be able to afford?
Rent is high in San Juan, but the houses arent cheap they're well built and can withstand hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories