Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM

10,069 posts, read 9,596,230 times

Advertisements

It seems the general consensus is that Betty White was terrific and I agree her comic timing is great. I guess she did the best she could with the scripts she was given. Could you imagine how great the show would have been if they spent a little more time and maybe brought in some really talented writers to put some great scripts together. As someone already mentioned, some parodies of her old work would have been great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,130,333 times
Yeah, I actually laughed out loud during the opening monologue, something I have not done in a long time on SNL. Her put-downs of Facebook were very funny.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:28 PM

10,069 posts, read 9,596,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Yeah, I actually laughed out loud during the opening monologue, something I have not done in a long time on SNL. Her put-downs of Facebook were very funny.
I agree, that was the best part of the show.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,098,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I was disappointed there weren't any paradies of her older works.
Lets be honest here, SNL's primary audience werent around when Betty White's old TV shows were airing. I am actually glad they didnt bring up that old stuff as people would not get it.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:45 PM

5,319 posts, read 9,021,874 times
Betty White was great on SNL.

Her opening monologue was extremely funny ... possibly one of the funniest ever on SNL.

I really liked the McGrubber skit too.

Didn't care for the PBS radio show skit ... was a little too drawn out.

Betty White can be really funny with x-rated humor. Who knew?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 AM

124 posts, read 530,921 times
Loved it! Betty White's definitely still got it. I though she was just raunchy enough without going too far. And what an inspiration, showing how much fun a person can still have at 88 (and going strong). One of my favorite SNL episodes ever.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,114,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I agree that SNL hasn't been worth watching for a good 20 years. I love humor but I just don't get all that crap they put on.

FINALLY, last night was worth seeing. Betty White's presence was amazing, especially the tongue-in-cheek, double entendre, instant classic of a skit about her muffin. That skit was stuff of comedy legend, the way comedy used to be and should be and could be again if we could get some decent writers in show biz.

Glad you liked it! However, the muffin skit was just a rehash of the classic Alec Baldwin "SCHWETTY BALLS" skit. In fact, I think ALL the skits were repeats. They were ok but I would have prefered to see the Italian tv show, Whats Up With That, the Vincent Price special or her as Gilly's grandma.

BTW for all, if your cable tv service has the On Demand feature, you should be able to rewatch the show on the NBC OD or PRIMETIME OD channels, but it may not include the musical guest

Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,978,498 times
Betty White is amazing, but SNL sucks! This show hasn't been funny in decades! The skits were awful and although I did laugh a few times...they just didn't do anything great. I mean come on! You have Betty White there and this is what you come up with? Seriously?

Still love Betty White and think she is one of if not THE funniest woman alive!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,316,554 times
OK let's make the old lady say raunchy things (seemed to be the theme of the writers)...muffin skit was hilarious but why in the world did they NOT introduce her as Sue Anne Nivens? That would have put the bit into the stratosphere.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,507,411 times
Why the sudden hoopla over Betty White??

Sorry, but she will always be sweet dingbat Rose Nylund to me.

(And SNL SUCKS.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV