Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 01:21 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,767,133 times

Advertisements

No this isnt a spinoff and none of the current stars are expected to be part of it.

Quote:
‘The Big Bang Theory’ Eyes ‘Sheldon’ Spinoff Prequel Series On CBS

The biggest comedy series on television is getting an offshoot. I’ve learned that CBS is in negotiations for The Big Bang Theory spinoff titled Sheldon, after one of the main characters on the original series played by Emmy winner Jim Parsons. Details of the new series are being kept under wraps, but I hear it is a prequel, described as a Malcolm In the Middle-esque single-camera family comedy centered on the Sheldon character at age 12. I hear the project, which is yet to be written, is getting a pilot order though sources suggest that it is considered a shoo-in for a series pickup for next season. I hear Sheldon is produced by The Big Bang co-creator/executive producer Chuck Lorre, executive producer/showrunner Steve Molaro and Parsons. Big Bang co-creator/exec producer Bill Prady also is expected to be involved in some capacity.
‘The Big Bang Theory’ Eyes ‘Sheldon’ Spinoff Prequel Series On CBS | Deadline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 01:39 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,260,740 times
The pilot is yet to be written, yet it is a "shoo-in" to be picked up?

Right.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:45 PM

22,989 posts, read 28,455,171 times
Chuck Lorre could pitch a show about two friends who spend their days proofreading telephone books and CBS would air it.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM

If they make a pilot and the test audience hates it, Chuck Lorre or no Chuck Lorre, it will either not get picked up or it will be sent back for a major rewriting, recasting or reworking of the concept.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:28 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,767,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The pilot is yet to be written, yet it is a "shoo-in" to be picked up?

Right.
It's tied to the Big Bang negotiations which pretty much makes it a shoo-in. CBS will pick it up as a "put pilot" which happens every year. Basically it means the networks picks it up sight unseen/or possibly after seeing just the pilot.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:15 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,280,638 times
Latest news...

TV Query: Is ‘The Big Bang Theory’ getting a spinoff? – Screener

Quote:
Ever since CBS announced that they were looking into the possibility of a spinoff for "The Big Bang Theory," theories and rumors about this potential new show have taken over the Internet.

The spinoff rumors also sparked questions about whether "The Big Bang Theory" would be ending soon. After 10 years of the hilarious and popular nerd-centered show, it's more than fair to assume that some or many of the actors would want to move on, effectively ending one of the highest rated comedies on TV.

What we know so far is that a prequel series based on the character of Sheldon Cooper is currently in development at CBS, which, if picked up, would likely air in the Fall of 2017. The show will depict a young Sheldon, growing up in Texas.

According to Deadline, "The Big Bang Theory's" executive producer Chuck Lorre is attached to the project, tentatively titled "Sheldon," as is showrunner Steve Molaro. Jim Parsons, who plays Sheldon on "The Big Bang Theory," is also attached, though only as an executive producer rather than in an on-camera role.

If you're worried about "The Big Bang Theory" getting the axe after Season 10, it's a little early to start making predictions yet.

It's true that the high production cost of CBS's highest rated show and soon to be expiring contracts of the cast make its fate hard to predict, but until "Sheldon" gets an official green light from CBS, you shouldn't worry too much about the spinoff replacing the original.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:12 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,789,132 times
I don't know where the Big Bang Theory thread is - I had searched for it before posting this, so I will post this link here to this other thread. EDIT - I found the other thread, but will leave this post in this one for now since technically it is a different show than the BBT.

CBS uploaded this to YT in 5/15/17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-jIhwIfIw
Young Sheldon preview just over 5 minutes long

Quote:
From Chuck Lorre, Steven Molaro and Jim Parsons, this new comedy follows the life of a young Sheldon Cooper as he navigates childhood in a football-loving, churchgoing, small town Texas family. This Fall on CBS.

On the fence so far. I'm not sure if I will like this or not, I am rather divided on it. I do like Parsons narrating it overall. I guess the series will be a wait and see. I do like that it has no laugh track. When I first heard of the idea a while back, I didn't think the character Sheldon Cooper deserved his own series as a spin-off. The young boy reminds me of a young Sheldon, not sure what I think about the rest of the cast.

Other opinions out there ?

Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
= The young boy reminds me of a young Sheldon, not sure what I think about the rest of the cast.

Thanks for bringing the preview to our attention.

I'll give the show a try, but it might be the case that it wears on viewers quickly. What we saw was pretty much all one dimensional characters. The ever correcting Sheldon, the ever religious minded mom, the good ole boy dad, and the unappreciative of his genius kids at home and in school.

If there had never been a Big Bang Theory show, perceptions of this offering would be different. The premise is a genius kid growing up surrounded by yokels in Texas...might be good. We could watch it and be sympathetic with Sheldon, assuming that he grew up and became a more well rounded person after a rocky childhood. But as a prequel, we already know that Sheldon never grows out of that sense of special entitlement he believes he merits due to his smarts. That is going to make it harder for the young Sheldon to generate sympathy.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:46 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,815,158 times
Quote:
I don't know where the Big Bang Theory thread is - I had searched for it before posting this, so I will post this link here to this other thread. EDIT - I found the other thread, but will leave this post in this one for now since technically it is a different show than the BBT.

On the fence so far. I'm not sure if I will like this or not, I am rather divided on it. I do like Parsons narrating it overall. I guess the series will be a wait and see. I do like that it has no laugh track. When I first heard of the idea a while back, I didn't think the character Sheldon Cooper deserved his own series as a spin-off. The young boy reminds me of a young Sheldon, not sure what I think about the rest of the cast.

I love the fact that Laurie Metcalf's daughter is playing his mother!

Old 06-03-2017, 08:16 AM

23,939 posts, read 33,814,783 times
Quote:

I guess we'll see how it goes. We'll probably add it to the DVR because the clip you posted looks ok.

Link to BBT thread

FB page Young Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
I love the fact that Laurie Metcalf's daughter is playing his mother!
I do too. She's perfect for it! I wonder if anyone else tried out for the role or if it was written for her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV