Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 AM

11,644 posts, read 12,722,728 times

Advertisements

I am an avid watcher of PBS programs. If you watch PBS, then you know that many of the local stations create and fund local programs about the local area. Thanks to the internet, I can go on their website and watch some of them which are not available on my PBS stations. For example, I watched all of the episodes of Colorado Experience on a CO PBS station website Colorado Experience | Watch Online | PBS Video, a great documentary produced by the Nashville PBS station about the Civil War and the battle of Nashville and one of the most interesting stories from the station in Pittsburgh WQED Multimedia: Portraits for the Homefront: The Story of Elizabeth Black.

My own PBS stations have a series about films made by local film makers, a recent documentary about Italian-Americans in the NY/NJ area, usually a local program related to the latest Ken Burns films, such as documentaries about WWII vets from our area and their stories, a program about local landmarks, and a weekly program about cultural events in my area. Wondering if anyone would like to share some special PBS program airing on their PBS station's website for all to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 08:13 AM

8,818 posts, read 21,292,593 times
My son actually worked on one of those . He does computer graphics & it was the one about Henry Hudson's voyage to the New World and his discovery of the Hudson River.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-21-2015, 09:08 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,078,746 times
I love the PBS programs. I never really watched it until I discovered the Masterpiece Classics. I have been watching the dvds and trying to get up to date on those that are still being shown. So far I have watched Downton Abbey, Mr Selfridge and Call The Midwife. I am about to start watching Upstairs, Downstairs. I really enjoyed watching all of them.

As far as documentaries go one that I found very interesting was "Surviving The Dustbowl".

Your post makes me want to do some research and see what others I have missed especially if I can find any about my local area.

PBS does a wonderful job with their programming. I really should start donating to them because they have given me many hours of enjoyment watching the Classics and the documentaries have taught me things I never knew.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:47 PM

5,901 posts, read 6,971,790 times
I like this one
A Chef's Life | Shows | PBS Food

Old 03-21-2015, 01:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,444,764 times
Local?

I'll watch California Gold with Huell Howser. Occasionally.
After about 30 minutes, his voice and over-the-top enthusiasm gets to me.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:57 PM

11,644 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Local?

I'll watch California Gold with Huell Howser. Occasionally.
After about 30 minutes, his voice and over-the-top enthusiasm gets to me.
Thank you so much. I didn't know about these programs.

Many programs are aired nationally, although it is up to the individual station to decide to put them on their schedule. But there are others that are only made and broadcast locally, yet they may interest other people. For example, from the Colorado Experience, I learned about the Sands Creek Massacre, something I did not know anything about, which really should have been included in my social studies curriculum when I went to school, along with The Trail of Tears and Battle of Little Big Horn.

I've watched some interesting shorts, features, and documentaries here:

Long Island Screening Room | Watch Online | WLIW21 Video
It's sort of a potporrui of artsy stuff/ local stuff/interviews

And
Treasures of New York | Watch | THIRTEEN - New York Public Media

Old 03-21-2015, 10:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
There's a locally produced show called Back in Time on OETA, the Oklahoma station which I enjoy very much. Often its about how local areas developed, and the diverse elements which are to many a surprise. One of the most interesting was the show about the first lunch counter boycott over segrigation and not serving non whites. It occured in an Oklahoma town. A group of local citizens decided to break the policy, and they did, actually before the same tactic was used in other states. Martin Luther King came to support them before he was known and many of his techniques were learned from there.

It was fascinating and a bit of largely unknown history.

I love OETA. It has more viewers than any other pbs station in the country. It has had other locally themed shows about the space program and the race to the moon, and the states largely unknown part it played in things.

I'm actually a supporter of the station.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:45 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,505,077 times
There used to be a home show that I watched. A couple of goofballs fixing problems at people's homes.

Now all I know of are a couple of wilderness type shows. They take you down the Snake river or up into the mountains. Not interested in those. Oh there's a political show too, interviewing local politicians and discussing Idaho issues.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:14 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,583,797 times
I finally caught on to Manor of Speaking -- a 30 min. discussion of Downtown Abbey each week, out of a Houston station. (I watched it on a Philly or NJ PBS station). I thought it was great -- the panel was speculating on what might happen next, which characters they like best/least...

Looks Like Laury, Talks Like Laury was a powerful documentary about a vibrant woman in her 40s who became debilitated by a type of dementia. Haunting and deeply sad.

Eisenhower's Secret War originally aired a few years ago, but I just saw it for the first time. Very good interviews with key players, including Nixon, who was interviewed years after his resignation.

POV aired My Brooklyn, an eyeopener about the gentrification of the once thriving Fulton Mall (an outdoor shopping district) in Brooklyn. They paired it with one about DC.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:27 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
Anything with Rick Sebak. He's from Pittsburgh, he's unabashedly in love with Pittsburgh, and history, and has a sense of wonder and fun.

He can make the most unsavory thing cool -- check out the Cemetery Special. It's amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV