Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Star Trek Series do you like the best?
Star Trek:TOS 30 26.55%
Star Trek: TNG 46 40.71%
Star Trek: DS9 16 14.16%
Voyager 7 6.19%
Star Trek: Enterprise 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:57 PM

950 posts, read 693,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My understanding is that they just "up and left."

But Vulcans are not pacifists, Vulcan philosophy is logical and Stoic, but not pacifist.
How can you say that they're not pacifists? Remember, you have to go all the way back to Surak. Before the advent of Surak, the Vulcans were constantly at war among themselves. Surak's introduction of pacifism instituted global peace. So how can you say they are not pacifist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 05:39 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
How can you say that they're not pacifists? Remember, you have to go all the way back to Surak. Before the advent of Surak, the Vulcans were constantly at war among themselves. Surak's introduction of pacifism instituted global peace. So how can you say they are not pacifist?
Establishing peace among their own kind does not make them pacifists.

Vulcan ships have phasers and Vulcans use hand phasers. I never saw any instance where Spock or any Vulcan expressed an aversion to using violence when it was the only logical option.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:29 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,172,263 times
Over the past month or so I have been replaying DS9. I often forget just how good this show was. I think it probably was the best of Trek - probably because of the long story arcs.

But, I gotta say, I just came across a clunker. "Nor the Battle to the Strong." It was not really a bad ep... it was just and atrocious end to an episode.

The story takes place in a field hospital where Bashier has detoured with Jake. They do the normal hospital story but Jake has cause to question his own courage after running in panic a couple times. Of course there is deep emotion and in the end Jake is accidentally thought a hero. Like any good writer though, he writes the story and asks his pop to read it. During the actual story, Jake never confronts his own "cowardice" but after reading his account Ben give the standard "All of us who go into battle experience the same thing." And that's the end - a kiss on the forehead, all is wrapped up. That one minute wrap up was definitely too pat an answer to be given in such a deep episode.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
  • TOS is the progenitor. For that reason alone, it is excused from criticism.
  • TNG was a very good show marred only by early bad writing; the bad acting of Marina Sirtis (she got better); and the too many Dr. Beverly episodes - I honestly don't think they could think of anything to write about her. Of all the shows, I would guess that 30 percent of them were so-so, 20 percent were excellent, and the rest everyday entertaining.
  • DS9 overall had the best acting and the best story arcs. Head and tails above all the other shows. It was solid from start to finish with only a few groan-able episodes.
  • VOYAGER had my favorite character, The Doctor. I thought of the rest of the chacters as just OK -- except when there was any paired dynamics such as Neelix and Tuvok, Tuvok and Ensign Lon Suder, Harry and Tom, Kes and the Doctor, 7 and the Doctor, Seska and Chakotay. In fact, I think the strongest stories were about pairings. Voyager was also the most imaginative of all the series.
  • ENTERPRISE I can't say much about it because I missed most of the episodes and they are not being repeated. I guess I have to go DVD. But I can say that I loved the opening theme.. until they sped it up. I liked Archer; Trip and T'Pol had good pairing (re my Voyager pairings comment), but beyond them the rest of the character made no real impression on me. Phlox was OK, because he was the most freaky. Unfortunately Malcolm, Travis, and Hoshi were so one dimensional that you could cut paper dolls out of them. The best actor on the show though was Jeffery Combs (but that's almost a given). I think the main problem with the show was that beyond the "how did the equipment or race relationships come to be" aspect, they had no conceived overall arc for the show. It just meandered.
I just finished the complete ENTERPRISE series.

It started slow, but not as badly as TNG. The first two seasons were kind of a mess, but still entertaining; while the last three seasons were very good - especially each of the mini-arcs. This series could easily have gone on for the remaining 3 seasons if the writing of the last two is a guide.

When I look back on it, of course the leads were great. But I also think they severely under utilized Travis Mayweather - he seemed to get the short shrift.

Whatever Star Trek comes in the future they will do well to keep long arcs. DS9 had the longest and best arc, TNG had the fewest, but the characters and individual stories helped make up for it. Voyager had ne next fewest I think, but the overall arc of the 70 light year voyage and the strange encounters with Delta quadrant folks kept it outside the "normal" ST environment and entertaining for me.

Oh, and any new show that Jeffery Combs can be part of will definitely benefit.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:53 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:

It started slow, but not as badly as TNG. The first two seasons were kind of a mess, but still entertaining; while the last three seasons were very good - especially each of the mini-arcs. This series could easily have gone on for the remaining 3 seasons if the writing of the last two is a guide.

When I look back on it, of course the leads were great. But I also think they severely under utilized Travis Mayweather - he seemed to get the short shrift.

Whatever Star Trek comes in the future they will do well to keep long arcs. DS9 had the longest and best arc, TNG had the fewest, but the characters and individual stories helped make up for it. Voyager had ne next fewest I think, but the overall arc of the 70 light year voyage and the strange encounters with Delta quadrant folks kept it outside the "normal" ST environment and entertaining for me.

One of the best things about DS9 is that it was an ongoing story. Here and there are independent stories, but the power of its story enexorably is dragged toward a massive war. The other part of this is the war was presented believabily. They didn't have a front line, but they sent their families home. The station is surrendered, and lives under occupation while Sisko endures the frustration of having lost his ship. That wall of names each Friday, all those from the station, brings the war's cost up close and personal. And with survival the cost, the rules cease to appy with Section 31. It didn't show many battles but on a people level it made for a believable war.

Some didn't like it because it was 'too dark' and didn't have much idealism. But later in the movies we see just how desperate the situation was.

Yes, Jeffrey Combs was great. I went to a small convention the last year of the show and they had all the cast but Avery, and he has a great sense of humor. He really made the Vorta real too, and not robots. You *almost* felt a little sorry for him when it all went wrong and his side lost.

All the stories post Dominion war have reflected a much different 'world' for our trek people to live in.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:26 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
One of the best things about DS9 is that it was an ongoing story. Here and there are independent stories, but the power of its story enexorably is dragged toward a massive war. The other part of this is the war was presented believabily. They didn't have a front line, but they sent their families home. The station is surrendered, and lives under occupation while Sisko endures the frustration of having lost his ship. That wall of names each Friday, all those from the station, brings the war's cost up close and personal. And with survival the cost, the rules cease to appy with Section 31. It didn't show many battles but on a people level it made for a believable war.

Some didn't like it because it was 'too dark' and didn't have much idealism. But later in the movies we see just how desperate the situation was.

Yes, Jeffrey Combs was great. I went to a small convention the last year of the show and they had all the cast but Avery, and he has a great sense of humor. He really made the Vorta real too, and not robots. You *almost* felt a little sorry for him when it all went wrong and his side lost.

All the stories post Dominion war have reflected a much different 'world' for our trek people to live in.
That's why I say that the post-Dominion Federation was kind of like post-Vietnam for the US (for those who remember the 70s) and a post-9/11 US for younger Americans.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:30 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,603,323 times
Quote:
Umm, well...Star Trek is fiction...none of it really happened anyway.

Of course, that is because it is only 2017, not 2250 when Captain Kirk will be the captain of the Enterprise.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:
That's why I say that the post-Dominion Federation was kind of like post-Vietnam for the US (for those who remember the 70s) and a post-9/11 US for younger Americans.
It's very much the same feel as the world post 9/11 especially. People no longer live in a 'world' they feel secure. They won that one, but it ripped up the rules that had quietly kept the Federation and neighbors to maintain peace. And now while the larger players lick their wounds, the smaller ones see a chance to take what they want.

You almost have to go to the books to really see the Federation post Dominion war. They are still desperately short of everything from ships to trained personal. Other places are looking toward the Federation for help, but its no longer able to save everyone else. All those assumptions from before are either broken or doubtful. Yes, they survived. But if their culture and beliefs have and can, nobody knows.

I think the fans of today can easily 'get' the post war stories, and the uncertainty of the future better than the one in TNG where the Feds were the ideal come to life. I also think that one reason Trek has become a part of out culture is that it has always mirrored in some manner the reality around us.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Two

Old 02-10-2017, 07:43 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,903,792 times
I'm not a big Star Trek fan, so the fact that Enterprise was my favorite might not be surprising. I couldn't watch TOS, sorry but it was too dated for me. If I had grown up with it that would be one thing, but I didn't, I wanted to like it, but it was too hard to watch. I watched the first few seasons of TNG and lost interest. I've seen a few random DS9 episodes and I did like them, but I have too many other shows I'm into to watch it now. Someday. I don't think I've seen any Voyager episodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV