Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,387,821 times

Advertisements

So we cancelled our cable last week. We already had Netflix and I did the free trial of Hulu to see if we could watch all our favorite shows.Unfortunately in my quest to get rid of an $80 cable bill, I overlooked the fact that most of those shows can only be watched on a computer. Our computer is not exactly in a room that's conducive for the whole family to watch tv comfortably so I'm trying to figure out a way around this.

We don't have any laptops; just a desktop and 2 tablets (Nexus 7). I'm wondering if I can use like one of the usb ports that make monitors wireless on the tv. I was gonna go by Best Buy later this week to see if they have anything like that. if not is my only other option to run a cord from the pc to the tv, which IS doable but kinda ugly.

Any advice is appreciated. Otherwise we'll probably have to go back to the cable company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,748,591 times
I don't have much advice but I just came across this:

Google Simplifies YouTube And Netflix Viewing On TV Sets With $35 Chromecast - Deadline.com

It's a $35 device that plugs in to the TV's HDMI port to let you watch netflix and youtube without the computer hooked up or an Xbox or whatever. Seems interesting.

People in the comments were saying that a Roku is only $15 more and so you might check in to that and compare the two?

We use a PS3 to watch on our TV but this little Google "Chromecast" might work for us in the future when we expand to two TVs in the house.

Looks like either this or a Roku would still be cheaper than cable.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Spoiler
So we cancelled our cable last week. We already had Netflix and I did the free trial of Hulu to see if we could watch all our favorite shows.Unfortunately in my quest to get rid of an $80 cable bill, I overlooked the fact that most of those shows can only be watched on a computer. Our computer is not exactly in a room that's conducive for the whole family to watch tv comfortably so I'm trying to figure out a way around this.

We don't have any laptops; just a desktop and 2 tablets (Nexus 7). I'm wondering if I can use like one of the usb ports that make monitors wireless on the tv. I was gonna go by Best Buy later this week to see if they have anything like that. if not is my only other option to run a cord from the pc to the tv, which IS doable but kinda ugly.

Any advice is appreciated. Otherwise we'll probably have to go back to the cable company
Have you looked into a Roku? It plugs to your router (or wifi) and then to your TV with HDMI. It will pick up Netflix, Hulu, and a large number of other options, some fee based, some free.

There's also an app - Plex - you install on your PC. If you find a video/movie/program online that you want to watch then you 'Plex It' and will be available on your TV. Some content won't work with it like ESPN. But YouTube or your favorite TV programming stations usually will.

Purchase is a one time cost that will liberate your TV from the cable or dish.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Thanks for your responses. I looked into the Roku but I wasn't sure how'd it be different from the wii as far as content. The newer shows all say "Web Only". I can watch them on the PC but nothing else. I'm gonna get one from Walmart that way if it doesn't work I can always take it back without restocking fees and all that

Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,510,092 times
I watch Hulu plus on my ps3. It cost the same as Netflix which is $7.99 a month.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I watch Hulu plus on my ps3. It cost the same as Netflix which is $7.99 a month.
Yeah I'm able to watch it just fine on my wii but some of the content like So You Think You Can Dance or Switched At Birth are only available on my pc; I'm trying to find a way around it.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,735,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Did they finally fix the app??? I had Hulu+ and got rd of it a year ago because my PS3 locked up every time I tried to play it (known issue at the time) and without that I never used it.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,735,121 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses. I looked into the Roku but I wasn't sure how'd it be different from the wii as far as content. The newer shows all say "Web Only". I can watch them on the PC but nothing else. I'm gonna get one from Walmart that way if it doesn't work I can always take it back without restocking fees and all that
Here's a thought. Buy the cheapest laptop you can find and connect it to the tv. It may set you back $200-$300 but without that $80 cable bill it will pay for itself in a few months. They even make PC's that bolt to the VESA mount on the back of flat screens.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,095 times
Quote:
Once you get plugged up you'll have a screen with channels to add from the Channel Store...
Netflix
HuluPlus
Amazon

Some news stations... The news stations are typically podcasts, as in pre-recorded. They will be broadcasts from earlier in the day or week and you'll listen to them one at a time.

There's a generic channel 'NoWhereTV' - with some live news stations, typically international. The deal here is that they aren't on cable so they can be broadcast streaming.

Also, choose the 'Plex' channel. U.S. content on cable can't stream live due to regulations. So, some TV entertainment content you can get next day. With Plex on your PC you can choose channels you want to view. Then on the TV you pull up the Plex channel to choose your show. Works with YouTube, some broadcast stations.

For instance you can find CSPAN on your PC and click a PLEX icon. Then go to TV to find the CSPAN and watch live. The programming is passing through your PC and uses minimal resource.

Good luck

Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,517,613 times
Quote:
If I recall, "web only" shows won't can't be watched on ROKU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV