Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 AM

23,022 posts, read 28,502,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'd love it if King could get HBO or Starz to do a series based on The Stand. I believe on one of those networks it could be something really great. But then again, I figured CBS wouldn't do what they've done to this show, so maybe it's Stephen King that has done it. Under the Dome was never his best work though, but The Stand is definitely up there at the top.
The Stand is going to be a stand alone movie. Which means they'll have to cut out 85% of the book. My hopes are not high.

As for a good SK adaptation, check out STORM OF THE CENTURY. Great, great mini series.

I tried watching UtD first season. I couldn't finish it. Writing was just too bad. I haven't watched a single episode this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,057,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'd love it if King could get HBO or Starz to do a series based on The Stand. I believe on one of those networks it could be something really great. But then again, I figured CBS wouldn't do what they've done to this show, so maybe it's Stephen King that has done it. Under the Dome was never his best work though, but The Stand is definitely up there at the top.
The Stand has been done in a mini series format already. It stayed pretty true to the book. I didn't like who they cast for Stu Redman--Gary Sinise, and Franny--Molly Ringwald. I thought the rest of the casting was pretty spot on.

I do agree with you, that I would love to see it done on HBO or another premium channel.

Mark S, I heard that Ben Affleck is the one trying to get the movie version started. I think it would be a mistake to have The Stand in 2 to 3 hour movie format. Like you said, they would have to cut out so much from the book. I don't think a movie can do it justice. I would also love to see The Dark Tower done in a series format on a good, quality cable channel.

I'm still watching UTD. I have no idea why.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:30 PM

72 posts, read 69,986 times
Come on guys! Apparently, you have never been trapped inside a dome before.
Of course, chaos will rule the day! It's a television show, not true crimes.
At least, it's not based on some reality crap that's taking over television.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:12 PM

15,185 posts, read 28,011,008 times
Exactly! It's a TV show, for entertainment (and I agree about reality crap shows LOL)

Old 09-19-2014, 04:48 PM

21,571 posts, read 10,696,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
The Stand has been done in a mini series format already. It stayed pretty true to the book. I didn't like who they cast for Stu Redman--Gary Sinise, and Franny--Molly Ringwald. I thought the rest of the casting was pretty spot on.

I do agree with you, that I would love to see it done on HBO or another premium channel.

Mark S, I heard that Ben Affleck is the one trying to get the movie version started. I think it would be a mistake to have The Stand in 2 to 3 hour movie format. Like you said, they would have to cut out so much from the book. I don't think a movie can do it justice. I would also love to see The Dark Tower done in a series format on a good, quality cable channel.

I'm still watching UTD. I have no idea why.
I think Ben Affleck could do the story justice, in a miniseries format on HBO. I wonder if he's ever considered it. I know Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg have done things on HBO, so why not? Maybe people should deluge him with suggestions to make this a series. There's not any shame in working in television these days. It's got more credibility than the movies.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:47 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,947,210 times
The story line is meandering, the acting has gotten progressively worse as the show moves on, and I am finding myself getting more bored with it every time I watch it. Now they're going to extend this in to a third season? ( maybe ).... We've either got to sit through this for another thirteen hours next year, or, if it gets cancelled, accept the fact that we've already wasted 26 hours of our lives on a story that we'll never get a proper end to, seeing as we were left with another cliff hanger this year.

Me no like the options here.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,348,870 times
It was strange to hear (last night) that they had been in the dome only 2 weeks! It has felt like YEARS!

Not strange that the evil in Big Jim came out for all to see. He started out evil and ended up evil.

I think a better ending would have been to tie up some loose ends and then have the dome crush them!

Then we could have had next season with a dome over another town!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,430,961 times
horrible horrible show

horrible

Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,094,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
It was strange to hear (last night) that they had been in the dome only 2 weeks! It has felt like YEARS!

Not strange that the evil in Big Jim came out for all to see. He started out evil and ended up evil.

I think a better ending would have been to tie up some loose ends and then have the dome crush them!

The show really took a turn for the worse, when it got picked up for the second season. They should have just done this as a 1 season "event" type of show/mini-series and followed the plot of the book. Instead, they veered SO far off course and lost a LOT of viewers (me included).

The show should be retitled Under the Dumb!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,947,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

And he's such a terrible actor isn't he? I never really liked him on Breaking Bad either, but at least his acting was better on that show.

I think even the actors are getting bored with this show and are starting to just phone it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV