Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times

Advertisements

I've not watched anything on this network for maybe a year. I thought I'd give it a chance with one of those 'Where are they now' episodes.

Boy, what a mistake.

I used to love Oprah, but I think she bit off more than she can chew this time. She's way overextended. On her daily show I usually walked away learning something or with an insight of some sort.

The segment I saw was on Mary Jo Buttafuoco in part. Boring, boring, boring. Need I also say, a huge waste of time. I think maybe she has a different staff or they are just spread too thin.

She's lost the magic. Sorry, Oprah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,325,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I've not watched anything on this network for maybe a year. I thought I'd give it a chance with one of those 'Where are they now' episodes.

Boy, what a mistake.

I used to love Oprah, but I think she bit off more than she can chew this time. She's way overextended. On her daily show I usually walked away learning something or with an insight of some sort.

The segment I saw was on Mary Jo Buttafuoco in part. Boring, boring, boring. Need I also say, a huge waste of time. I think maybe she has a different staff or they are just spread too thin.

She's lost the magic. Sorry, Oprah.
Meh, it's starting to pick up. I agree should have stayed doing talk shows at least and she could do what she is doing now simaltaneously as well.

There are a few good television shows and programs on the OWN network channel. I'm sure it will improve as the years go by.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
OWN is part of the Discovery network of channels. If it starts to go under, I think Discovery will try to resurrect it with a lot of the ID type shows it already owns. They'll cross networks and ID will look like OWN and Discovery Health, etc.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
OWN channel is boring and to our family, it has nothing of interest for a white Greek family.

I do like so of the "where are they now" segments though, as I am old, so I get that.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
OWN is part of the Discovery network of channels. If it starts to go under, I think Discovery will try to resurrect it with a lot of the ID type shows it already owns. They'll cross networks and ID will look like OWN and Discovery Health, etc.
They're already doing that with reruns of "Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets"

Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
They're already doing that with reruns of "Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets"

"Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets" is the only ID feature that I cant stand. I dont mind the storyline but I cant tolerate the obviously-phony-and-overly-dramatic verbalized thoughts of the deceased.

I read that OWN was a miserable failure in the beginning. But, since it's gotten the soap operas and some ID reruns, the news reports say it's getting more viewers.

I dont care for Oprah at all and I dont care for her name/initials plastered all over everything she touches. Her money, her right -- but my right not to support it.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:33 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
"Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets" is the only ID feature that I cant stand. I dont mind the storyline but I cant tolerate the obviously-phony-and-overly-dramatic verbalized thoughts of the deceased.

I read that OWN was a miserable failure in the beginning. But, since it's gotten the soap operas and some ID reruns, the news reports say it's getting more viewers.

I dont care for Oprah at all and I dont care for her name/initials plastered all over everything she touches. Her money, her right -- but my right not to support it.
Well, she obviously sold out when she realized her network couldn't make it on just her name, but she's been able to save enough ownership to market her programs as original content.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:39 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,545,524 times
When I catch something on the OWN network its usually the Where are they now and Iyanla fix my life or a special show with someone of interest to me..

Old 11-15-2013, 09:00 AM

483 posts, read 870,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalChubsta View Post
When I catch something on the OWN network its usually the Where are they now and Iyanla fix my life or a special show with someone of interest to me..
My same sentiments. "Fix My Life", "Master Class", and "Where are they" shows offer more substance over style. Finally this year, I am happy channel graduated to HD to better see beautiful faces of all colors.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
We don't get OWN in our lineup, and don't intend to.

As for Oprah, looks as if she can't stay out of the limelight. If her network's sorry ratings are improving, I'm sure it's for no other reason than she's allowed just about every other TV show to "preview" her segments and interviews. Nothing like free advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV