Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times

Advertisements

Tonight at 9pm central time on the National Geographic channel is the season premiere of Locked Up Abroad, a documentary series about people getting in trouble with the law while traveling. The narrator for each story is the person it actually happened to. Sometimes they're telling their story while still in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
I love this show and am glad that it is back on.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 PM

542 posts, read 1,100,229 times
This was one of my fav shows to watch when I had cable. The stories are so fascinating because the people that end up trying to smuggle drugs are usually just 'regular' people who want a vacation while making a couple of extra bucks. You can relate to these people as a friend, relative or even you!! The most intriguing part for me has always been just before they get caught. Some of them don't even get caught the first time, and they press their luck by doing it again! Duh! Those are the people that i DON'T relate to.

This is one of the shows that I actually miss seeing by not having cable anymore, which is saying a lot! I'm going to check this thread just to see what the new episodes are like.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,283,482 times
Is there a web broadcast?

My basic bacic plan only gives me the good channels now and then but when I had it I found this fascinating. Its amazing how some realize how utterly stupid they'd been and home, or knowing they'll go home, see themselves actually having some sort of future since they went past stupid.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 PM

My two recent favorite episodes involve two hit movies. The first was the real guy from "Midnight Run", the story of the guy who escaped from a Turkish prison. The second was from the movie "Goodfellas". The guy the movie was about could finally tell his story on camera since everyone he sent to prison were finally dead and what happened where the movie left off.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,348,703 times
I watched the story of Billy Hayes the other night. Anyone remember the book and movie Midnight Express?

He told the true story and it is quite different from the book and movie. It is still very exciting.

I remember when all this happened and my father said to me "If you ever go to another country DO NOT break the law there." All someone has to do is see a few of these stories to know that it is insane to break the law anywhere but particularly in another country.

I've watched this show for a few years. It really is good.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I watched the story of Billy Hayes the other night. Anyone remember the book and movie Midnight Express?

He told the true story and it is quite different from the book and movie. It is still very exciting.

I remember when all this happened and my father said to me "If you ever go to another country DO NOT break the law there." All someone has to do is see a few of these stories to know that it is insane to break the law anywhere but particularly in another country.

I've watched this show for a few years. It really is good.
Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. While in the Navy a sailor stationed in Naples became friends with a Nigerian businessman. After becoming friends, the businessman said the Italian government wouldn't let him leave because they're racist (the friend was also black). He asked the friend if he would go to Turkey to pick up some goods for him (he delt with curios and figurines). He offered to buy the plane tickets, pay for the hotel, give him spending money to enjoy the trip, and give him more money when he returned with the figurines. Everything was fine until he went to the Turkish airport for the return flight. Drug dogs pegged his package and each figurine was filled with hashish. That was in the 1990s. As far as I know he may still be there because his sentence was life.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,348,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. While in the Navy a sailor stationed in Naples became friends with a Nigerian businessman. After becoming friends, the businessman said the Italian government wouldn't let him leave because they're racist (the friend was also black). He asked the friend if he would go to Turkey to pick up some goods for him (he delt with curios and figurines). He offered to buy the plane tickets, pay for the hotel, give him spending money to enjoy the trip, and give him more money when he returned with the figurines. Everything was fine until he went to the Turkish airport for the return flight. Drug dogs pegged his package and each figurine was filled with hashish. That was in the 1990s. As far as I know he may still be there because his sentence was life.
Moral to the story. Watch out for Nigerians.

You know what is interesting to me? In so many of these cases someone has been set up by a "friend." When they finally get out of prison they go home. It seems to me that we would hear a bit here and there about the woman or man taking revenge on the one who set him/her up.

Or maybe that doesn't happen. I know from what the folks say about finally being free that they rise above the idea of revenge and are just happy to be alive and free.

I have always wondered if the movie "Brokedown Palace" is a true story. I know they say it is fiction but it rings so true to me. I can really see that happening.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
Best show on T.V.
I like the fact that other countries don't let you slide because you a Us citizen

Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 PM

2,112 posts, read 3,018,745 times
I also enjoy the show. Glad they finally got a new season, tired of watching reruns. I've seen the story about Billy Hayes, love the movie.
These people think they can get away with smuggling, how stupid can they be? Sure, maybe they get away with it once but then they try it again? I feel sorry for the guy tonight, he didn't know there were drugs, and the torture he went through, ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV