Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 17,936 times

Advertisements

Morning everyone. My wife and I may very well be moving to Tulsa to accept new employment in the next three-four months. We want to purchase some horse property either north or south of the downtown Tulsa area. We're looking for 2-40 acres. Can anyone give us some suggestions as to the best places to look, both in terms of ruralness and access to Tulsa?

Everything I've read seems to point to north and south of Tulsa as the place to move for the country, privacy and low crime rate. I haven't read much with regard to east or west of Tulsa?

We just want a nice safe place to have our horses and dogs and not have to worry about high crime and a lot of noise.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 03:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
We are moving soon to Beggs, Oklahoma which is close to Tulsa. Hubby's job starts on the 20th. Can't wait...looking forward to it.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
rick, I don't think you will have a problem in any direction from Tulsa. I live west of Tulsa and have all the privacy I could want. I have no idea where my keys are to the house, and the only reason we have a gate is to keep the cows in. I have an uncle in Claremore who has the same problems I have, I am appraising a place south of Tulsa where the situation is the same, I know folks near Ramona who are in identical straits.......so, if you can refine your requirements somewhat, I'll be glad to get on MLS and see what is available. I also know some private land sales .................

One suggestion, don't look for anything south and west of Owasso.......the airport can be noisy. But anywhere else....north of Owasso, Collinsville, Skiatook, Sand Springs, Cleveland, Mannford, Pratville, Sapulpa, Beggs, Liberty, Bixby, Leonard, Coweta, Haskell, Inola, Claremore, Catoosa.......all are quiet, safe, and horse friendly. It just depends on what you want to spend, and how far from Tulsa you are willing to be.........

Old 04-11-2009, 10:52 PM

Goodpasture, thanks for the information. For me, any commute less than 45 minutes is a walk in the park. I have lived in a large, metropolitan area for 30 years, but I was raised in the rural midwest. I'm ready to return to that. In researching the area, it looks like everything is pretty much within 30 minutes of downtown Tulsa, no matter what direction. I've been concentrating on the Skiatook, Owasso, Sand Springs, Sapulpa and Jenks areas (yes, I know some are west). I want to go outside at night and see the stars. Where I live, all one can see is light and more light. Housing prices in the areas I've mentioned here are a lot less than they are in Utah. We're really looking forward to getting out there and setting up shop. Thanks again for the info.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:05 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcop44 View Post
Goodpasture, thanks for the information. For me, any commute less than 45 minutes is a walk in the park. I have lived in a large, metropolitan area for 30 years, but I was raised in the rural midwest. I'm ready to return to that. In researching the area, it looks like everything is pretty much within 30 minutes of downtown Tulsa, no matter what direction. I've been concentrating on the Skiatook, Owasso, Sand Springs, Sapulpa and Jenks areas (yes, I know some are west). I want to go outside at night and see the stars. Where I live, all one can see is light and more light. Housing prices in the areas I've mentioned here are a lot less than they are in Utah. We're really looking forward to getting out there and setting up shop. Thanks again for the info.
I have a good friend who lives in Winchester (which actually isn't a town, it's a CDP or some such) in Okmulgee county who LOVES it out there. It's about 30 minutes to Tulsa, but he has all the privacy he ever wants. He lives around 251st St South and US Hwy 75.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:03 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
We looked at a house in Winchester... it is actually on the map though. It is very close to the house we are buying. We are by telephone in Beggs, by mail in Mounds, and by school district in Beggs also. Can you tell I am excited? All South of Tulsa on HWY 75 there are little communities that are very rural and private.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:58 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
I like Winchester. There is a nice mix of housing types, from (as I recall) a really nice A frame to more conventional housing on small acreages. I also like Mounds. That area east of Mounds is flat and level, the hill behind (west) of Mounds offers a lot of privacy, some small undeveloped subdivisions, and some awesome estate type houses.

I also like the area north and west of Sand Springs. There are nice properties there around the Zink Ranch and towards Skiatook Lake.

I also like the area around Prue.

If I knew the size of land, the size of house needed and the budget, I could be more help.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:57 AM

Goodpasture, et al: Thanks for all the suggestions! As for property, ideally, we'd like about five acres, but would take more. As far as size home, the home we live in presently in SLC is 3000 square feet and it's too big for two people - at least for us it is. We'd want at least 2000 square feet. It looks like around 2500 sq. ft. would be ideal although we aren't locked in on that size. A barn in good shape is a must and should have at least 2-3 stalls. Water shares would be great. I really don't want to irrigate pasture with culinary water. As for price, in talking with folks from the Tulsa area, housing prices are quite a bit lower in your neck of the woods than they are here. I mentioned $250K to a person recently and she said for that price, I could get just about anything, or at least certainly a nice piece of horse property. I'll look into the Winchester and Mounds areas. If anyone knows of property available, please feel free to email me with the info. Thanks again everyone!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 10,196 times
Hello rickcop44 (Goodpasture and others),

I found this thread while looking for almost exactly what you were asking about. Did you find what you were looking for? My husband and I are also looking for a place near Tulsa as a retirement home, with space for grand kids. My ideal would be a 3,000-3,500 sq ft home in the country (nice, but not modern looking or fancy), with enough land and a barn for a horse or two. I grew up in the mountains, so not a flat area. Would love to have a view of at least some hills, and some water, if possible. The area between Keystone Lake, Skiatook Lake, and Sand Springs looks awesome on the map, but all the places for sale seem to be in housing developments. Any recommendations from anyone?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 20,038 times
Hi, rickcop44 -

If you're still looking for horse property, please let me know. I have a nice home on 3 1/2 acres with a barn. 4 or 5 bedrooms, 2 bath, everything has been updated and remodeled in the past 2 years. Moving out of state, but really love the community of Owasso. You can contact me at uthooves@hotmail.com and I can send you pix and information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa