Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,891 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing for a job in North Tulsa. I am a white woman and would be coming from out of state. I understand that North Tulsa is considered a dangerous area. But I have worked in "urban" locations before and know that sometimes the stories about black neighborhoods get really overblown. I've done some research and know N Tulsa has the highest crime rate of the city overall. I work in a similar environment in another state now and don't feel unsafe, but I'm wondering just how bad N. Tulsa actually is during the daytime. I would plan on living in a different neighborhood.

Is the area less dangerous during the daytime? I am specifically concerned about whether or not I would be a victim of crime there, either while at work or while entering or leaving work, and how likely it is that my car would be vandalized (especially with out of state plates). Would you pass on such a job just because of the neighborhood if you were coming from out of state, or is the hype about N. Tulsa overblown? For what its worth the job itself is an excellent opportunity otherwise.

Please understand I am not trying to troll and if you want to send me private messages about this instead of posting to avoid starting a debate I would appreciate the help. I am just genuinely worried about moving my kids across the country and my own safety if this is putting me at significant risk, and have no one else to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times
Use the following resource to get an idea on the crime in North Tulsa. I hear varying comments on this; some people say there is a lot of crime and others say it is very safe. I'm sure it also depends on which area of North Tulsa as it would in any city.

Map Central

Hopefully someone that lives there can clue you in.

BTW, I don't believe your race would have any effect on whether or not you were the victim of crime. In fact, it might even be advantageous because from what I understand most crime in African American neighborhoods is against people of their own race.

I think you may catch a little flack bringing race into the whole scenario although I realize that's probably not your intention.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,891 times
Thank you for your reply. You are right that making it into a racial issue isn't my intention. In fact, I work in a place with similar demographics now and everyone thinks it's "soooo dangerous" based on the crime rate, even though they never spend any time there, and I never feel unsafe. I keep my wits about me and it hasn't ever been a problem. I just don't want to be naive going into a similar environment in Tulsa when I'm not familiar with the area. I don't know if it's something similar, that it's not really as bad as people outside the neighborhood think, or if I'm going to be a target. I hope the hype is overblown because it sounds like a really great job and I'm not as fazed by the concept of working in a so-called bad neighborhood as others might be.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 PM

38 posts, read 128,356 times
I lived in Tulsa a couple of different times and I lived around the 31st and Sheridan area. It was a decent neighborhood, middle working class area. My ex went to boot camp back in 1999 and the night that he left, someone broke into his car, busted out the window, stole his stereo and got his stereo stuff out of the trunk. I lived there another time a few years later, same general area, and while I was at work on a Saturday morning I came home around 12pm for lunch to find that someone had broken into my house and had destroyed everything that they didn't take. On the flip side, my friends boyfriend works in north Tulsa and has for years. He's never been messed with.
Now I'm not trying to say Tulsa is a bad city and you shouldnt move there. I loved it and there is so much to do and I wouldn't mind living there again. Those were just my experiences and they didn't happen on the north side. Crime can happen anywhere so you just need to take extra precautions. If possible, walk to your car with someone else that may be getting off of work at the same time as you, put mace on your keychain, etc. I hope that wherever you go that you truly enjoy it and that maybe this helps!

Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times
When I lived on 41st and Riverside my roommate had his car stolen. It was generally a very safe area so any part of any city can have crime. I am astounded by Tulsa's high crime ranking on city-data, however. It's much too high for the mid-sized city that it is. They need to do something to curtail crimes in the city big-time.

However, crime statistics, like any other statistic can be manipulated. Some cities deliberately under-report crimes and then also some cities have so much crime that the residents don't even report the crimes so I guess it's all based on personal experience. When I lived in Tulsa for 2 1/2 years I was never the victim of any sort of crime whatsoever.

Of course I had nothing worth stealing...

Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 PM

38 posts, read 128,356 times
I do agree that Tulsa does seem to have a fairly high crime rating. I've always wondered though. When I walked into my house and found that I'd been robbed, I immediately called 911. I was told by the operator that 911 was for emergencies only and that I should hang up and dial another number. I was shocked! If a burglary isn't considered an emergency, especially if you're not sure the robbers are out of the house, then what do they consider an emergency? The policeman that responded wasn't very helpful either and they didn't dust for fingerprints or anything. Not sure if that's common or not as I've never been robbed before.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:20 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,994,129 times
I go to north Tulsa all the time and never have felt unsafe. I am not sure I would want to hang out up there after 9 pm, but the rest of the time I have no problems whatsoever

Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM

37 posts, read 42,923 times
Depends where you are in north tulsa and what you are doing. It's not the best place to be ... but if you are only working from 9-5 weekdays, you'd be fine.

If you are working managing a pizza place or convienence store late night --- well that's another story.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:48 PM

491 posts, read 1,477,038 times
If it's a good job opportunity, you should probably do it and just be careful. My friend had his pickup broken into recently in North Tulsa. But, there are thugs everywhere. I had my car broken into once when I was in church for an hour in Purcell. Besides, it's probably not any worse than where you are now.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:54 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDawn View Post
If it's a good job opportunity, you should probably do it and just be careful. My friend had his pickup broken into recently in North Tulsa. But, there are thugs everywhere. I had my car broken into once when I was in church for an hour in Purcell. Besides, it's probably not any worse than where you are now.
After reading this thread, makes a person wonder, are the police active in the community , in specific the North Tulsa location if crime is what I understand it to be... I rememmber when I went through my Army training near Tulsa, seemed to be a nice town...Is the economy affecting some of this crime ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa