Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 AM

641 posts, read 1,075,180 times

Advertisements

I really think you ought to look around at Eufaula instead of Nowata with your pre-approval!

Yes beer is not a problem. Convenience store beer and liquor stores for better beer and liquor.

Nowata is a faded older town with not much going on, except that it is very close to Oologah lake, which is a large and good fishing lake but not big as a recreational lake otherwise. Nowata is in a pretty rich farming area but if you are not farming then I don't know much else to say about it. It has some fairly neat old houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:39 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,458,776 times
Many years ago when I was in high school there were no liquor stores in Oklahoma and my town had a bootlegger. He was very popular. LOL Then most of the years I lived in Oklahoma City liquor by the drink was illegal, but the city was wide open. The night clubs serveed liquor by the drink and various rules circumvented the laws. Finally, serving liquor by the drink was voted in and the fun ended because all the laws enacted by our legislature took away lots of the fun. I suppose we are used to it by now. I'd forgotten there were still laws about beer, but most places there are no problems.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,520,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Bassy, the lake has been pretty clear this year, unless you're on the Deep Fork arm. I see it almost every day. Until my accident I was walking around Belle Starr State Park every day.
Reading back through this thread I noticed your reason ("I was drunk") for editing your post and I got a kick out of it.

I've been known to get on here on City-Data a bit sauced up from time to time! But given the ridiculous nature of some (many?) of my posts I bet ya'll already knew that.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Reading back through this thread I noticed your reason ("I was drunk") for editing your post and I got a kick out of it.

I've been known to get on here on City-Data a bit sauced up from time to time! But given the ridiculous nature of some (many?) of my posts I bet ya'll already knew that.
I've participated in discussion forums for at least 20 years and have often suspected some posters as being, if not 3 sheets, at least one or two. LOL Many years ago after making a remark about Joe Lieberman's voice being difficult to listen to, a man joined for no other reason than to yell at me for being an anti-Semitic no good whatever else name I could be called. Sort of the same mentality as those who accuse anyone who doesn't like the current president as being racist when race has nothing to do with it.
My late alcoholic second husband once informed me that he was not responsible for anything he did when he was drinking. For some strange reason his logic and mine were at odds.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 PM

42 posts, read 62,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
I really think you ought to look around at Eufaula instead of Nowata with your pre-approval!

Yes beer is not a problem. Convenience store beer and liquor stores for better beer and liquor.

Nowata is a faded older town with not much going on, except that it is very close to Oologah lake, which is a large and good fishing lake but not big as a recreational lake otherwise. Nowata is in a pretty rich farming area but if you are not farming then I don't know much else to say about it. It has some fairly neat old houses.
Hey Teakboat...well, I have checked out Eufaula just since your post and I will say it looks promising. Golf course not too far away, fishing opportunities virtually unlimited. It reminds me very much of northern Wisconsin...a vacation paradise...unfortunately, the FIB's ( Frickin' Illinois Ba**ards) have taken over our beautiful northern region and turned into a mini Chicago...complete with crime, brothels and a-holes... lots and lots of a-holes!

Lotsa' housing for sale in the area...that's good. Seems to be a LOT of mobile homes on permanent locations...I have no experience with mobile homes except they seem to make the news a lot in the aftermath of tornados??? Are they pretty livable...I mean maintenance wise...or are they shoddily built and somethings' always going wrong? Most have nice decks attached and sometimes extra living areas added. I've seen a lot in the mid 50's with anywhere from 2 to 10 acres of land, The rest, in my price range, seem to be older cabins that have been "winterized" to become year round homes... most are very small...under 1000 sf. Those are common up here as well...In fact, I've winterized a couple/three over the years myself.

Eufaula, I think, would fit the bill as far as doing some occasional work as well. I am going to bring down my work trailer...it's outfitted, basically, as a 6'X12' tool box that holds all my remaining hand tools. I have thought I'd still like to keep my hand in occasionally...make a few extra bucks here and there doing maintenance on homes and cabins etc. Like to do some occasional volunteer work as well...fixing up the town whatever...here, I build park benches, a park gazebo or three, covered bus stops and the like...the City pays for materials, I build to their specs.

Sure could use some input on the mobile home issue...I've gotta say I've always sorta snubbed my nose at them but this is an entirely different situation up here...weather-wise and general climate...and attitude for that matter.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Old 09-20-2014, 09:54 PM

Mobile homes are vulnerable in tornado country. You are correct about them being in the news when a storm hits. I would not want to live in one.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,520,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from Wisconsin View Post
Hey Teakboat...well, I have checked out Eufaula just since your post and I will say it looks promising. Golf course not too far away, fishing opportunities virtually unlimited. It reminds me very much of northern Wisconsin...a vacation paradise...unfortunately, the FIB's ( Frickin' Illinois Ba**ards) have taken over our beautiful northern region and turned into a mini Chicago...complete with crime, brothels and a-holes... lots and lots of a-holes!

Lotsa' housing for sale in the area...that's good. Seems to be a LOT of mobile homes on permanent locations...I have no experience with mobile homes except they seem to make the news a lot in the aftermath of tornados??? Are they pretty livable...I mean maintenance wise...or are they shoddily built and somethings' always going wrong? Most have nice decks attached and sometimes extra living areas added. I've seen a lot in the mid 50's with anywhere from 2 to 10 acres of land, The rest, in my price range, seem to be older cabins that have been "winterized" to become year round homes... most are very small...under 1000 sf. Those are common up here as well...In fact, I've winterized a couple/three over the years myself.

Eufaula, I think, would fit the bill as far as doing some occasional work as well. I am going to bring down my work trailer...it's outfitted, basically, as a 6'X12' tool box that holds all my remaining hand tools. I have thought I'd still like to keep my hand in occasionally...make a few extra bucks here and there doing maintenance on homes and cabins etc. Like to do some occasional volunteer work as well...fixing up the town whatever...here, I build park benches, a park gazebo or three, covered bus stops and the like...the City pays for materials, I build to their specs.

Sure could use some input on the mobile home issue...I've gotta say I've always sorta snubbed my nose at them but this is an entirely different situation up here...weather-wise and general climate...and attitude for that matter.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
As one who is over in Eufaula often, I think they would jump on your offer to spruce the town up. It's a quaint town, in fact, it's main shopping district is quite a bit nicer/kept up compared to other smaller towns in that area. Still, it could use some help and updates on some of the stuff gettin' run down.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:49 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Default I Will Be Interested In Buying Some Of Your Art Work On My 2015 Oklahoma Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Howest, I've never been to Cookson, but a woman from there saw my exhibit at an art gallery in Tahlequah and bought THREE pieces. I was shocked.

I Will Be Interested In Buying Some Of Your Art Work On My 2015 Oklahoma Trip...please tell me where they are sold " Oklahoma City Oklahoma " or somewhere else in the great state of Oklahoma (?)

Old 09-23-2014, 10:17 PM

641 posts, read 1,075,180 times
There are lots of regular, non-mobile homes in Eufaula. Thats the way I'd go. You could even find something on or near the lake if you are lucky, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Because that lake is huge, and there are areas of housing scattered around. On the other hand, don't expect your property to double in value in 5 years, probably not going to happen. And there's lots of work in the area I suspect. Seems a little prosperous in some ways. I thought I'd like to have a lake house down there. It is fun but without the fat-cat vibe of Grand Lake in NE Oklahoma.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:28 PM

42 posts, read 62,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
There are lots of regular, non-mobile homes in Eufaula. Thats the way I'd go. You could even find something on or near the lake if you are lucky, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Because that lake is huge, and there are areas of housing scattered around. On the other hand, don't expect your property to double in value in 5 years, probably not going to happen. And there's lots of work in the area I suspect. Seems a little prosperous in some ways. I thought I'd like to have a lake house down there. It is fun but without the fat-cat vibe of Grand Lake in NE Oklahoma.
Yeah, teakboat, I've upped my limit to 70K in order to take advantage of property available of the non-mobile variety. Just measured my current home...it's 1100 sf and I've got about 1/3 blocked off from heating and cooling...2 bedrooms and a 1/2 bath...so I'm basically living in 700-800sf of area and find that's plenty for a single person. Still would like a larger place in Eufaula though...my (so far) unmarried daughter will eventually get it and I'd like to leave her something nice.

Kinda want to stay in or directly outside Eufaula...septic systems worry me as far as possible repairs...the tank isn't really a problem usually...more often it's the leach bed that goes to hell and it's a major expense to dig that all up and replace. City utilities DO have their advantages...

Thanks for your input, I'll keep looking. i'm still a couple of months away from pulling the trigger so I've some time yet.

Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa