Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:41 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,188,813 times

Advertisements

I'm an OKC native on a Tulsa forum. What can I say? I've just tended to find more Tulsan's critisizing OKC, I don't see to many OKC people critisizing Tulsa. Tulsa is a fine city, but I'd rather stay here or move elsewhere before moving there.

The thing that most people seem to like about Tulsa is it's "hills" and "trees". OKC has less, but come on....if you think Tulsa is hilly and green than you need to get out more. If you want green, trees and hills in a city, go to Cincinnati.

OKC seems to be well planned out for development. Everytime I get in a traffic jam in Tulsa, it's worse than OKC. While it's a smaller city.

I just don't understand saying "woe be to you if you go there"...It's not bad, I've had a great life here. I prefer having fun to staring at a sculpture any day. And that's what I have here, fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 02:32 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,341,992 times
There is nothing...nothing that OKC has to offer that Tulsa doesn't by way of "fun".

You can do all the fun crap in Tulsa that you can in OKC, only you'll be in a prettier place with nicer places to do those things.

I think people seem more critical of OKC because if you've been around both places, anyone can see Tulsa is cleaner, prettier and has a lot more going on. OKC doesn't HAVE anything on Tulsa. It's not that everyone in Tulsa is a jerk who can't wait to talk down about OKC--there's just a big, obvious difference between the two places. Neither place has anything to brag about, but when comparing just those two towns, it's not hard to see which is preferable and why.

Yes, Tulsa is not terribly green and hilly as far as other places in the US go, but it's a darn site hillier and greener than central and western Ok.

However, one thing I'd definitely agree with you on is the traffic. Tulsa traffic is godawful. They are always having to widen streets, do construction, etc. It's a PITA.

On the other hand, OKC has the worst drivers I've ever encountered anywhere.

Seriously, I'm not "pro" Tulsa and "anti" OKC. I hate Oklahoma. I cannot wait to leave, never to return. I'm tired of "christian" conservatives and rednecks and nothing but futtbawl.

I have no vested interest in boosting Tulsa. I couldn't care less about any supposed rivalry between OKC and Tulsa. Couldn't care less.

But, having tons of experience with both OKC and Tulsa, and their surrounding areas, I just advise (and will continue) to advise people that if they feel they have to come live in this wasteland, N.E. Oklahoma--the general Tulsa region--has a lot more going for it, hands down.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:19 PM

I wasn't implying that you can't have "fun" in Tulsa. But if reasons for a city being better are because of having "better" museums. Than I don't care. Can you go to a Hornets game in Tulsa? Nope.

As far as OKC having nothing on Tulsa. How about less traffic. You mean to tell me that you think every single thing about Tulsa is better. If you're so knowledgeable about the area, I'd think you'd have other thoughts.

I think this state would be better off if there wasn't a building rivalry between the cities.

I guess there's just not much else to do here but argue between our only cities...

Old 09-22-2006, 03:37 PM

I guess in a roundabout way, that's my point!

Museums are only one small component of the cultural things that I think Tulsa has beyter aspects of than OKC.

Also, traffic is miserable in OKC as well, I just think areas of Tulsa can be worse because due to growth, they have to widen streets so often. Some parts of Tulsa, the traffic is okay, and the expressways are usually cool except rush hour. But when they are "fixing" a main street, it can make you think road rage for sure.

Overall, though it seems a little better in OKC traffic-wise, but OKC is also chopped up in a weird fashion, making it a little more difficult to navigate. A trade off.

Look, Nameless (great name, BTW!)-- I don't want to just come down on OKC. OKC has some alright qualities. I wouldn't advise anyone to move to Oklahoma for many reasons. It's just that, having been in the NE parts of the state a lot and the Central parts, I feel I should at least tell people that I think the NE part is a whole lot nicer, and why.

Also, I don't give a rusty fig about sports at all. While Tulsa has a little of that, their teams aren't anything to really write home about and the place has more to offer than just more and more sports crap. The university there places a lot more importance on actual academics--arts and letters-- than it does athletics. That's the way it should be.

Sheesh, living in Norman is total hell on home game days...miles of endless zombies with those stoopid OU flags all over their cars, going through the worst traffic possible to pay $250 to sit with 80,000 other zombies in that fugly stadium worshipping a crappy futtbawl team.

One of the most ridiculous things about OU Sonner fans in particular is the dumb rivalry between OU and places ike Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, etc. But, if you look at the roster of players, 2/3rds of them COME FROM Texas and other states. They couldn't care less about Oklahoma or the Sooners--they are just here on a scholarship, trying to make a name for themselves, and will leave Oklahoma as soon as they graduate. It's so stupid and senseless.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:12 PM

94 posts, read 612,952 times
Oklahoma City and Tulsa both have their charms. Jammie, if you're looking for a mid-sized town with very low crime and access to larger cities, you might look at Ponca City, where I live. It basically sits in the center of a triangle that includes Tulsa, OKC, and Wichita, Ks. They're all an hour to an hour-and-a-half away from here.

If you like a college atmosphere, you could look at Stillwater. It's a town of about 40,000 not including students, but you get a more cultural atmosphere there, and it's less than an hour from Tulsa or Oklahoma City.

Personally, as far as downtowns, Tulsa scares the HELL out of me. Wouldn't go there at night. I spent the night in OKC, outside the Myriad once and felt perfectly safe. It seems cleaner there, too.

If you're going to do a lot of traveling, OKC is your better bet, since it sits on the axis of two major highways. I-35 runs from Mexico to Canada, and I-40 runs from Virginia to California.

Both cities are nice enough, the weather is moderate enough, and the people are nice enough. I'd say Oklahoma is pretty moderate in all ways, even politically, regardless of what the map shows. We're pretty purple, if you know what I mean.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:01 AM

Oklahoma is just average we could say.

And Griffis, how about we agree to disagree on Oklahoma I'll promote OKC and you run the people away and we'll see who wins!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 PM

Nameless, I come off as a little bitter because I've been stuck in Oklahoma so long and I still see it as a wasteland as far as things to do, pretty scenery, the political climate, the terrible summers, etc.

But honestly, there are far worse places one could call home than OK or either OKC or Tulsa.

There are lots of nice communities full of good people. It's not all drunken rednecks and goat ropers. I just want to go to the hills and mountains, live in a "blue" state for a change and get away from the heat. My wife and I just really need a change.

But I'd live in--and recommend-- Oklahoma over lots of other places actually.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:18 PM

I understand your views. I'm only 16 but I've been here my whole life. So in a couple years I plan on high tailing it out of here, despite how much I like it.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:32 AM

213 posts, read 765,872 times
Default West side of Tulsa question

Richardseaside1 or anyone else who is familiar with Tulsa: I am considering buying the historic Kennedy Mansion on West Fairview Street in Tulsa. Is this still a good area of Tulsa, or is it going downhill. It has been some years since I visited Tulsa so I'm not up to date on good & bad sections. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:05 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,361,776 times
Hi,

Well, we just got home. Spent a week in Tahlequah. My husband and I fell in love with the town the minute we drove through it. Also the minute we took 82A from Vian I was in love with east Oklahoma and the people, who were actually lovely wherever we were. I have never met so many helpful and friendly people in my life. And when I say "friendly" that is exactly what I mean. I live in CA, lived in Texas, Mississippi and Florida. None of those states compare with friendliness. In fact in comparison, they are just not friendly. We drove thorough NM and AZ, and the people were not friendly. When you meet people in OK it is as if they have known you all their lives, and you will hear about their lives immeditately.

I didn't make it to Tulsa but I have seen all of Cherokee Co. Muskogee wasn't much of a city, but the VA there is great and easy to get to. Some day I hope to visit Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa