Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,239 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am a Communication major and a recent grad. Is there a job field for me? How is Tucson to live and rent a nice but resonable place. I am also working on a Masters.
I have visited and fell in love with the area.
Appreciate your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:17 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Tucson is large enough that there are likely many jobs that require a communication major. Is anyone hiring? It might be tough to land a job right now (that's true across most of the country), but it would be a good idea to start networking with companies that could potentially hire you. When they do hire, if they have a face to match your resume, that will give you a leg up on the compitition.
Also, U of A might be a good place to finish your Masters.
Tucson is reasonable to live and rent. A lot depends on where you want to live, if you want an apartment or house, etc.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM

643 posts, read 2,053,304 times
Tucson is pretty cheap compared to other places in regards to rent and cost of living. $400-$500 can get you a decent one bedroom apartment in any one of the innumerate and typical urban sardine can apartments. Keep in mind that everything is relative, though. So you might pay less for rent, but you're also likely being paid less. My last job in NC was paying $12/hour for what was basically an over-glorified customer service job. Here, most of the listed rates I see are $9/hour. I see a lot of $8 an hour jobs listed on craigslist, too - which is barely minimum wage if you keep in mind the new low is $7.75 or whatever it is.

I'm not sure how the job market is in GA, but it's pretty tight in Tucson. That's not to say there aren't jobs to be had, just that you really have to work for them.

But, Tucson is beautiful and the mountains and sunsets are free to look at.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 PM

602 posts, read 2,063,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piachere View Post
Hello - I am a Communication major and a recent grad. Is there a job field for me? How is Tucson to live and rent a nice but resonable place. I am also working on a Masters.
Appreciate your help
Welcome, piachere.

I love living here, but there are many who don't. Still, if you've already visited and know you like it, I see little risk in moving here. Rent is very reasonable here (but then, I moved here from South Florida where it's very expensive). Oh, and don't really know how jobs would be for a communications major here.

Funny thing is, we've had a serial troll frequenting the place who gets a kick out of stirring up a hornets nest, so I'm actually to the point where I'm a little suspicious when somebody new comes on board.

Not to worry, though. Welcome anyway.

Last edited by azhiker; 07-25-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Funny thing is, we've had a serial troll frequenting the place who gets a kick out of stirring up a hornets nest, so I'm actually to the point where I'm a little suspicious when somebody new comes on board.

Not to worry, though. Welcome anyway.
Yep, true. We're all basically a bit gun shy and watching the gates to CD more closely, aren't we? Shouldn't oughta be that way...

Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 PM

83 posts, read 219,846 times
um, based on my own apartment hunting when I moved here about a month ago, the lowest you're gonna find a DECENT one-bedroom is about $550. Cost of living is comparable to most eastern cities not on the coastline, so don't worry about that. UA is considered a "public ivy" and is pretty dang cheap too, even for a state university, so you have options if you want more education.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 PM

643 posts, read 2,053,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrc5391 View Post
Cost of living is comparable to most eastern cities not on the coastline, so don't worry about that.

lol - what? What cities are you referring to? I can tell you that a friend of mine just moved to Amherst, Mass and she's paying something like $800 a month for a studio apartment - this thing is a shoebox. And that was the BEST she could find even when looking months in advance.

We just moved from Raleigh, NC and we were paying $900/month for a 2bed/2bath house. The same here is going for $750-ish on Craigslist: link (http://tucson.craigslist.org/apa/1290390648.html - broken link), link (http://tucson.craigslist.org/apa/1290323834.html - broken link), link (http://tucson.craigslist.org/apa/1290369105.html - broken link)

In Atlanta, the pricing is similar to NC: link (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/1290601457.html - broken link), link (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/1290500382.html - broken link), link (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/1290126206.html - broken link) If not considerably more

Again, I don't know what cities you're referring to, but Tucson is CHEAP.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piachere View Post
Appreciate your help
Welcome, piachere!

Over the years I have lived in a variety of cities from coast to coast and have chosen Tucson as my home. Maybe not the cheapest place to live but darn close overall when you consider everything from rent or mortgage to utilities to vehicle registration.

Besides, except for July and August . . . the best weather of all in the country.

Good Luck

Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times
I homeless with a 9 yr old daughter, moving to Tuscon for a better life, and a new start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: