Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupwithNJ View Post
Whya re the coolers & a/c units always on the roof?
cools the building better because cool air falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
I'm curious as to why you have to keep a window open with a swamp cooler (aren't you then cooling the outside?), yet you can't have a window even cracked with an A/C unit. I was told if you have window open with A/C, you'll freeze up the compressor. And, our compressor is on the ground, not on the roof.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I'm curious as to why you have to keep a window open with a swamp cooler (aren't you then cooling the outside?), yet you can't have a window even cracked with an A/C unit. I was told if you have window open with A/C, you'll freeze up the compressor. And, our compressor is on the ground, not on the roof.
That's an easy one, Marcy.

Think of a Swamp Cooler as an attic fan in reverse plus adding moisture. It draws air into the home (one way, no recirculating) through a thick pad kept moist with dripping water while an Air Conditioner cools and recirculates the air over and over again very similar to a refrigerator.

Does this makes sense?

Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
That's an easy one, Marcy.

Think of a Swamp Cooler as an attic fan in reverse plus adding moisture. It draws air into the home (one way, no recirculating) through a thick pad kept moist with dripping water while an Air Conditioner cools and recirculates the air over and over again very similar to a refrigerator.

Does this makes sense?
Uh, kinda. So, a Swamp Cooler is always drawing in outside air, moisturizing it, and blowing it back in to the house? And an AC unit recirculates existing air, cooling it, like in a car?

So, why can't you have a window open a crack or so with an AC unit? Why would the condenser unit freeze up? I ask this because in my condo complex, each unit has its' own condenser, but in each unit, the rooms closest to the HVAC in the condo are the coolest, while the rooms at the opposite end barely get the AC, plus it gets direct southern sunlight. So, I have a large, standing fan in that farthest room and sometimes keep the window open to have the fan circulate room air to cool it. But, that isn't good for the AC condenser? (I don't open the window when it's 100º out, but when it's low 80's or cooler).

I'm used to 360º Air Conditioning supplied by Mother Nature. So, whole house AC is new for me.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Uh, kinda. So, a Swamp Cooler is always drawing in outside air, moisturizing it, and blowing it back in to the house? And an AC unit recirculates existing air, cooling it, like in a car?

So, why can't you have a window open a crack or so with an AC unit? Why would the condenser unit freeze up? I ask this because in my condo complex, each unit has its' own condenser, but in each unit, the rooms closest to the HVAC in the condo are the coolest, while the rooms at the opposite end barely get the AC, plus it gets direct southern sunlight. So, I have a large, standing fan in that farthest room and sometimes keep the window open to have the fan circulate room air to cool it. But, that isn't good for the AC condenser? (I don't open the window when it's 100º out, but when it's low 80's or cooler).

I'm used to 360º Air Conditioning supplied by Mother Nature. So, whole house AC is new for me.
That's simple, Marcy . . . you need to have your "air flow" addressed by a professional.

When I first moved here and had a new Heat Pump installed, the Living / Dining Room and Kitchen were like "meat lockers" while the Master Bedroom was "cooking" . . . the HVAC experts installed "reduced flow" vents in the cold rooms thereby forcing more cool air towards the warmer rooms. Problem solved.

Since A/C units all have "returns" in order to function properly, an open window is not necessary, however, a Swamp Cooler only draws air into the home with no "return or recycle" capability. Opening a window with A/C will just be wasting cool air which adds to your electric bill.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
That's simple, Marcy . . . you need to have your "air flow" addressed by a professional.

When I first moved here and had a new Heat Pump installed, the Living / Dining Room and Kitchen were like "meat lockers" while the Master Bedroom was "cooking" . . . the HVAC experts installed "reduced flow" vents in the cold rooms thereby forcing more cool air towards the warmer rooms. Problem solved.

Since A/C units all have "returns" in order to function properly, an open window is not necessary, however, a Swamp Cooler only draws air into the home with no "return or recycle" capability. Opening a window with A/C will just be wasting cool air which adds to your electric bill.
Another thing added to the "to do" list. But, I really appreciate your explanations. You describe things in a way that's very easy to understand.

Last year, I taped ribbon to the vents, and the ones near the AC unit look like they're in a hurricane, while the one's in the MBR/BA don't move at all. I can adjust the vents, so I might try closing off the ones in the "meat locker" (perfect term, BTW) rooms, and fully opening the ones in the hot and stuffy MBR/BA to see if that makes a difference. If not, a call to the HVAC people. Especially since Jimmy Stewart is calling for 107º tomorrow. Sigh.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 AM

124 posts, read 269,105 times
I have been using a Mastercool swamp cooler for the past 12 years, keeps the house an average of 10 degrees cooler than a standart swamp cooler, I have changed the pads 3 times since installed and maintain it once a year.
During monsoon season or when humid, I open doors and windows fully to move as much air as possible to keep the (1954) house cool.
The cost to run the cooler is less than one third of running an A/C unit and the yearly maintenance should be around $50 to $75 plus parts (belt, pump, spider, etc)

Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerey View Post
I have been using a Mastercool swamp cooler for the past 12 years, keeps the house an average of 10 degrees cooler than a standart swamp cooler, I have changed the pads 3 times since installed and maintain it once a year.
During monsoon season or when humid, I open doors and windows fully to move as much air as possible to keep the (1954) house cool.
The cost to run the cooler is less than one third of running an A/C unit and the yearly maintenance should be around $50 to $75 plus parts (belt, pump, spider, etc)
Good information, pejerey.

Since I have "dual cooling" (MasterCool and Heat Pump) and routinely switch to A/C during the Monsoons, I believe your estimated savings may be a little on the conservative side.

For example . . . when running the Swamp Cooler, my electric bill increases by $10 to $15 a month over a typical non-cooler month, however, when I switch to A/C, my bill soars up by well over $100 a month.

Another often forgotten point . . . Good Ole Fashion Desert Southwest Fresh Air is much healthier and refreshing than the recirculated stale stuff.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 PM

93 posts, read 200,285 times
Default thanks!

Thanks to bummer & pejerry. Great info!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 AM

124 posts, read 269,105 times
Quote:
........For example . . . when running the Swamp Cooler, my electric bill increases by $10 to $15 a month over a typical non-cooler month, however, when I switch to A/C, my bill soars up by well over $100 a month......
My cost was based in an average for an A/C unit of about 12 to 14 SEER, which most home that are 10 years old or more have, the newer units that are of a higher SEER will be more economical and will save you money.( the SEER information might be reverse, not sure)
Now when you say conservative you mean that A/C units DO use more than what I suggested, in reality I am not completely sure since I do not have A/C but based my information on friends of mine that have A/C or dual system.
For sure the swamp cooler is cheaper than A/C by far and if you know how to use it properly you might not need A/C in Tucson at all and save lots of money depending on the age of the A/C unit.
Mastercool, Aerocool and other brands of those single pad units have and additional section that when added to the unit is as good or better than A/C for cooling and the air inside the house will be exchange with new air constantly.
I am glad the information was useful for you fedupwithNJ!!

Last edited by pejerey; 06-08-2010 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: needed it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson