Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:08 AM

14 posts, read 170,456 times

Advertisements

What method have people found to be the fastest way to kill weeds with the least amount of money?

I'll share my current methods later... which I'm thinking are not that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 AM

104 posts, read 319,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dester View Post
What method have people found to be the fastest way to kill weeds with the least amount of money?

I'll share my current methods later... which I'm thinking are not that great.
ACE Hardware recommended Remuda... we use that and it works better than anything else we've ever tried but I think it is a 15 bucks a quart (concentrate) or something.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 PM

95 posts, read 307,348 times
I buy whatever concentrate is on sale. Lately that's been a product from Ortho called Weed B Gon Max. It sells for $10 -12 on sale at Home Depot.
It's concentrate so I use a large pump sprayer I got at Ace to apply it. The kind you add concentrate then water and pressurize by hand pumping.
That seems to be the cheapest way.

The expensive way is to buy the spray that is pre-mixed and ready to go with a spray pump attached to the jug. That's a rip off.

The way I do it I'm not paying for them to ship water around the country.
The refillable sprayers like I use are cheap junk though. I've had a few and even though I clean them after each use they seem to clog.

Still that seems to be the cheapest way.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:47 PM

95 posts, read 307,348 times
Also, someone told me that vinegar works but I haven't tried it.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
Do you own one of those pump sprayers? The ones you pump up and then you have the handle so you can spray?

I use those with whatever concentrate is on sale, I have heard a lot of good things about Remuda.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 AM

13 posts, read 35,375 times
Please do not even consider poisoning your own yard- vinegar works well- you may need to apply a few times- and table salt works well for those cracks in concrete walkways.

There is a cheap flame weeder available- try Gardens Alive- which is great for larger problem areas- you do not set anything on fire, just singe the leaves- it kills the toughest weeds after two or three passes.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 AM

104 posts, read 319,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Do you own one of those pump sprayers? The ones you pump up and then you have the handle so you can spray?

I use those with whatever concentrate is on sale, I have heard a lot of good things about Remuda.
No we have one of those things you screw onto your hose and set the mix/gallon level. I think it was from Miracle Grow or something. We use that and just put the Remuda in that with the proper setting. It works really, really well but it took 2-3 days before we noticed them dying but it is very very effective.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 AM

572 posts, read 2,486,771 times
Round-Up works very good also

Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 AM

824 posts, read 2,336,387 times
There is an Eliminator brand of concentrate at Wal-Mart. It is the same chemical as RoundUp but cheaper. I use a 1 gallon tank sprayer available for $10 at WM. I make it a little more concentrated than the directions. Make sure that you spray when it is warmer than 70 degrees and dry.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:35 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,909 times
I pull them. It's free and a little bit of exercise too.

We do have a front yard of landscaping stone, so the smallest weed looks huge and we immediately get a nasty-gram from our HOA. So, in our swale (which tends to get the most weeds sprouting up), we raked away the rocks, laid down landscaping cloth, staked it in place and covered the cloth back up with the rocks. It's worked pretty well.

It's a little more labor than spraying something down, but we're not spraying poison all over our yard, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson