Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Yes, folks, we do live in different cities!

Ever since I moved, I haven't been to the NW side and today wanted to go to River and 1st Ave. Decided to try to utilize our worthless freeway. First of all, I live about 6 miles North of I-10 (not that I'm complaining... don't wanna live or work any near it), so I didn't think it would be better mileage-wise, but I was hoping it might be faster. 34 miles of mostly ugly drive later (and God help you if you get stuck in the no-exits area) I arrived at the destination... The whole round trip clocked in at 57 miles, so driving on the surface streets on the way back amounts to 23 miles. In other words, being on the freeway makes no sense and I hate to take a leisurely weekend drive around ugliness anyway. Sooo, don't ask me anything about areas West of Oracle max... Shall we just make it West of Swan...

At this time I have only 3 reasons (other than possibly Desert Museum or the studios) to get out of my Eastern boonies and go to the Western boonies (and this wasn't really that far West):

- Saks Off Fifth
- Steinmart
- My Big Fat Greek Restaurant

I've been to My Big Fats in Phoenix, but that was the first time I tried our local one (note to mdtoaz - had lunch there because they do have 2 tables for us second-hand citizens... ). They'll open an Eastside location soon - not quite East, but Broadway & Craycroft is a lot more palatable to me. Had the two stores mentioned had any business sense, they would've done it loooong time ago, but neither one has such plans presently.

a few side notes:

- The calamari were great! So was the baklava and frappe. Why the baklava comes as if it's for two is everybody's guess... , but oh well... another desert for later...
- Ladies, Steinmart now carries some brand of shoes I at least was unfamiliar with - Italian Shoemakers, Inc. The shoes are made in Italy and are very light, comfy, and reasonably priced - about $40. Granted, all man-made, but it's OK for summer open shoesies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 09:33 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,221 times
I can't remember the last time I took the freeway... I never go up that way now. Of course, I'm always going up to your neck of the woods. Wish I had known that I'd be going to the east side so much when we bought our house.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
...At this time I have only 3 reasons (other than possibly Desert Museum or the studios)..
Hey I was just out at Old Tucson Studios this weekend! Still there, still dusty, and still fun. For anyone who is going be sure to stop by the Haunted Mine attraction, "Terrible" Tom (as he called himself) is a real character!

sierraAZ you should take a drive up to Continental Ranch and see how much it has grown in the past few years.. and maybe spend a wad of cash at Pavilions Theatre and In-N-Out Burger!

Nice little write up though, I enjoyed it!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Hey I was just out at Old Tucson Studios this weekend! Still there, still dusty, and still fun. For anyone who is going be sure to stop by the Haunted Mine attraction, "Terrible" Tom (as he called himself) is a real character!
Good for you! I've been meaning to go for some time. Haven't been there for many years.

Quote:
sierraAZ you should take a drive up to Continental Ranch and see how much it has grown in the past few years.. and maybe spend a wad of cash at Pavilions Theatre and In-N-Out Burger!
I've no clue what's going on in Marana, Oro Valley, etc. Haven't been up to Phoenix forever, either. Sure I'll go for a movie to the Pavilions... In-N-Out Burger has a location by El Con Mall, but I personally wouldn't put it in my mouth if it were delivered home.

Quote:
Nice little write up though, I enjoyed it!
Glad you did. I think you should share some trivial stuff once in a while.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
Wish I had known that I'd be going to the east side so much when we bought our house.
All the more reasons to finally meet one of these days! Darn, we're lazy.

See? Should've lived on the East side, but ya didn't listen!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,221 times
Quote:
All the more reasons to finally meet one of these days! Darn, we're lazy.

See? Should've lived on the East side, but ya didn't listen!
We checked out your 'hood, but we got a big yard down here. Guess we'll have to meet in the middle.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
We checked out your 'hood, but we got a big yard down here. Guess we'll have to meet in the middle.
I know, I know... Mine is teeny and no pool.

So now we're playing hard to get... You come over anyway. Maybe Borders at Park Mall. I think you can still have a smoke there.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,367 times
Sounds like an adventure!

We headed down to Tombstone this weekend with the kids. Had a pretty nice 'family' day

Old 05-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Sounds like an adventure!
Yeah... dragging your rear from one part of town to another...

Quote:
We headed down to Tombstone this weekend with the kids. Had a pretty nice 'family' day
Good for you! It's always fun there. I'm sure your kids had a blast.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:34 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,367 times
Quote:
Yeah... dragging your rear from one part of town to another...

Good for you! It's always fun there. I'm sure your kids had a blast.
I'll have you know my rear doesn't touch the ground yet! I still get by on my feet.

They did have a good time. And I enjoyed it as well. I love the historical aspect of towns/cities/villages etc. I'm hoping we get down to the Mission soon as well. We packed a picnic lunch and went to Tombstone for 4.5 hours. We spent about $20 for our family of 5. For a "Wild West Show" with rescue animals (no gun shoot outs), a few postcards for the kids to send to family back in the midwest and ice cream cones at the end of our day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson