Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 PM

522 posts, read 1,431,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderkid View Post
Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate your comments. I am new to this kind of computer forum thing, so how do I PM you? I would love to know where you have settled. We are in a quandry as to what city to move to and if you have found a good spot, I would love to know. Thanks!!!
PM means Private Message, or Direct Message.
Click on the person's screen name in their message, and it will give you options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 PM

10 posts, read 30,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
Like I said, there are plenty of black kids in the schools here in Tucson. If he isn't going to be accepted into their family as one of their own as you imply, maybe they should rethink this adoption.
i hope you read the posts in this thread after this one. they could really help you understand that being "colorblind" is not a cure for racism. race is a real thing in the world, but it seems that in many areas of this country you don't have to think about race as long as you're white.

as for any implications of mine that this child would not be accepted, i hope you just read what you wanted into my comments. i could clarify and say that being raised by the best, unconditionally loving parents who share their race with the community won't change the fact that the only non-white face you usually see is in the mirror (or in jail in the movies).

wonderkid, more props and congratulations on your growing family.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 AM

64 posts, read 263,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderkid View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Tucson for a variety of reasons, however we are wondering about this....We have 2 biological children (caucasian) and we are adopting an infant boy from Ethiopia. We are wanting to settle somewhere that is more affordable than our current situation(California) but want diversity due to the impending adoption. We noticed that African-Americans only comprise 4.3% of your population. We currently live in a very non-diverse area and want our son to be part of the black community. What are your thoughts on people open to multi-racial families and whether there are a lot of them or whether our son would have connections other than his adoptive family. Thanks so much! This website and forum is super!
Hello, Just wanted to answer your question. There isn't too much diversity here in Tucson, but both my wife and I feel very welcome. I'm white and she's black, but we've never experienced problems here and in fact we've always felt comfortable here.
Other places aren't the same. NY and FL are places we've felt the most unwanted and uncomfortable.
Good luck to you, PM me if you have any more questions for me.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:30 PM

42 posts, read 147,789 times
Tucson is a very diverse city compared to most parts of the United States. As far as having any problems with your family situation I would say not likely. Its funny you question Arizona comming from California ! Everybody knows California has ALL the problems.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,643 times
These are really old posts but I hope that Wonderkid and Frogandtoad see this. I would be very interested in getting in touch with both of you. We adopted from Ethiopia 1 year ago and are considering Tucson for a move. If either of you see this, please contact me. I sent a PM to Wonderkid but Frogandtoad is no longer accepting friends?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
but Frogandtoad is no longer accepting friends?
You don't have to be a "friend" to send somebody a message. This person has posted today, so he/she is still around.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM

153 posts, read 523,080 times
When a moved to this country 20+ years ago, on the very first questioner I had to choose my race. I was very confused. By skintype I guess I am white (I came from Europe), by soul I felt I was black, when I was a kid a wished I became a torreador, so I felt deep love for the latins, I always thought that the Vietnam war was a BS, so I loved Asians. Reading all the western novels I always knew that I would be a Native instead of a cowboy, however some cowboys where very cool. Gipsies are not official, so I choose white...however, I am still not sure if I made the right decision.
But I do understand your question and/or concern, after living in the States for 20 plus years, out of which 6 I spent in DC.
I think Tucson is one of those cities where you can be in any area of the city without encountering racism, but I am sure there are a*holes everywhere.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 PM

95 posts, read 307,790 times
I found this thread interesting to read.

Here in Hawaii it's "melting pot central"... and there's not really much problem that I've seen as long as you follow the golden rule.

I've known enough people to realize that their are angels and thieves in every race, plus I was raised in a multi-cultural environment with a mother from Hawaii and father from Scotland.

I'm a mixed-breed. I was happy that Barrack Obama made Black people proud, and rightfully so.
At the same time, there was a part of me that wished he'd taken a more Hawaiian view, something like this:
"I'm not black, and I'm not white, I'm a mixed breed - just like you".

Because how many of us aren't mixed race? Some come out looking this way or that, but we're all mixed race really, and we're all related.

Morgan Freeman, the great actor said in an interview that he was just tired of the whole black/white thing. He had a "move on" attitude about that I found refreshing.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 PM

38 posts, read 149,632 times
Why does it matter who he hangs out with?

If they are white, and nice kids, cool, if they are hispanic, and nice kids, cool.
I dont understand why race is still so much of an issue - should it be? Should I only try to hang out with other white ppl? Usually when white people do that, they are called racist

Old 07-21-2009, 03:43 PM

100 posts, read 329,349 times
There are not many African Americans in Tucson, although I have met quite a few, so they aren't nonexistent. Check out this website - it is the Tucson Black/African-American Community Website Tucson, Arizona Black /African-American Community Web Site. It may have some information.

In the two years that I taught I have only had one African American student and worked with one African American teacher.

However, it seems that if you seek out a certain group of people, you will find them in Tucson. You may just have to join different groups and make more of an effort to reach out to the black community.

Will you see a lot of diversity in your everyday life in Tucson? Definitely not. I'm from northern NJ and diversity was just outside my door all the time. That definitely isn't the case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson