Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 14,811 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Thanks for your time if you choose to read this.

I am moving to Tucson. I have never been to Arizona. I'm an upbeat and kind professional young-ish woman who is looking forward to settling in Tucson and making it my long-term home. It may seem strange to move to a place I've never been, but I've done it plenty of times successfully. And I firmly believe that if a person is a kind, caring, upbeat, and responsible person, she will find the same in others no matter where she goes.

I will have a lot to learn about the culture of Arizona. (I've called, among other places, Buffalo, NYC, San Fran, and LA home in the past.) I will respect and learn to appreciate cultural differences. I'm excited! And diversity of all kinds makes America and this earth great - it's my pleasure to experience it. But I have some concerns...

First of all, I know there are a lot of firearms in Az. Plenty of people like and use guns regularly. I know it's commonplace for lots of people to be around and use guns. I read western novels, watch the news, have friends who hunt... the whole deal. Guns have their place. But I personally don't like them. This will never change. I don't like being around them. It's wholly unnatural for me and goes against my very soul. I don't put my opinion on others, and my choice to never be around them nor give guns any place in my life is my choice, and my choice alone. But in Tucson, will I see them? Will I be near them? If I make new friends and go to a house party or something, will someone bring one out casually? It that a social norm? If something like that happens, how to I voice that I am uncomfortable? (At this point I just imagine myself sprinting for the door.) Honestly, I'm not scared of much, but having someone tease me for being afraid of guns while a gun is around is my worst nightmare. Are gun owners respectful of non-gun people? What do I need to know?

Secondly, I have a more general question. Tucson may be more "liberal," but it's common knowledge Az is a conservative state. Now, to me Rep/Dem or Cons/Lib labels are tiresome. But they can be accurate, and some people live by dualities. I come up with my own opinions on things. It's a great part of being a human being! Thinking! Free will to decide my own beliefs! But as it turns out, a lot of my views end up being more "liberal." Now, of course I know politics, religion, etc aren't polite conversation; I am respectful of who's around when conversations like this are going on. But I also love to chat about deep and meaningful things... Again, at a party or out with new people... do I need to watch myself? Will I gain enemies (I've never had one)? Will I be ostracized by my acquaintances and peers? Should I really really watch my mouth at work (I work in finance)? Perhaps this question isn't very focused... but maybe there's someone out there with a perspective of being more "liberal" while living in Tucson?

Thanks so much and perhaps we'll cross paths trail running, road cycling, at a farmers' market, or at work!
Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 03:46 PM

65 posts, read 222,953 times
First of all, welcome to Tucson! You seem like a thoughtful, nice person, so I'm guessing you won't have any trouble making friends. If you're conflict-averse like I am, you probably aren't saying a lot of things that will offend people. I'm about as liberal as they come, and I've had no problems in Tucson. The only people who've mentioned their political views to me have been pretty conservative, and I just listen and move on without commenting. They were pretty abrasive about it, but I definitely don't consider them enemies. I'd say anyone who becomes your enemy based on your viewpoint is probably not worth having as a friend in the first place.

As for the guns, I've honestly never seen a gun in Tucson. I know they're out there, but someone bringing one out at a party would be...odd (unless they were showing a friend their new toy, maybe?). I know open carry is legal here, but it just isn't something you see every day. Again, anyone who would tease you about the gun thing is maybe not someone you'd want to be around.

Tucson is an very live and let live city. People are exceptionally friendly and easygoing. If you enjoy trail running and road cycling, you'll love it here. Right now is a beautiful time of year, perfect for outdoor activities. Enjoy!

Old 10-12-2013, 04:47 PM

867 posts, read 724,856 times
I don't socialize enough to comment on how frequently a gun might put in an appearance at a social gathering, but I'll say this regarding your other concern: I, too, am extremely liberal. Although I've wound up engaged in, shall we say, "lively discussions" with those of the opposite view here in Tucson since I moved here a year ago, this has earned me no enemies.

However, I am quite sure that some people think a bit less of me when they find out that I am an atheist. This tends to be the case even in my native New England, however!

In short, while I can't guarantee that you won't ruffle some feathers, it's nothing to worry about. Enjoy the beautiful Sonoran Desert and other natural wonders of the region!

Old 10-12-2013, 05:04 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
I am not an expert on Tuscan, but I can tell you that you seem to be a product of hype, rather than reality. You have lived in some major hot beds of Birkenstock-land.
As a grown woman, why don't you place learning to shoot, and become familiar with a gun, on your bucket list. To me, it seems like a life skill that a well rounded person should have.
If, after gaining familiarity, you still feel the same way, then you are free to feel that way.
If I were a single woman, I would most definitely have a loaded gun where I could get to it, in case I felt threatened.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,993,061 times
Will you see guns? Probably, if you are looking for them. Maybe not at a social gathering, but out riding your bike, hiking on a trail, or even driving on the highway (I've seen several motorcyclists wearing guns, both in Phoenix and Tucson). Not only is open carry legal in Arizona, but so is concealed carry. Permits are not required, so it's likely more people than you will see are carrying.

I haven't seen a lot of open carrying but I have seen (and done) it in more wilderness areas.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:33 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,578,764 times
I saw more guns in Colorado than I ever have here, and Colorado has stricter gun laws. Tucson is a fairly large city, and the chances of seeing a gun aren't great. Just because you can carry, doesn't mean everyone does carry. Many Tucsonans do not own guns, don't like guns, and don't want to be around guns. Like anything else~~just because you can do something, doesn't mean everyone is doing that something. You may see a gun on someone, but most likely not. Will someone bring one out at a social gathering? I doubt it. Why would they?

As for your political views, Tucson is very tolerant, and it's doubtful they'd be a problem. I have friends who are so far right leaning they make Ted Cruz look like a liberal, and some who are so far left leaning they make Nancy Pelosi look conservative, but most people are somewhere in between. OTOH, I wouldn't suggest you go plastering the back of your car with tons of political bumper stickers. That's just not smart no matter where you live.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:13 AM

59 posts, read 147,871 times
I love to frequent the business that have the NO GUNS Allowed sign in the window or front door. I too, don't want to be around anyone sporting a gun, ever.

So sue me.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:11 AM

57 posts, read 117,541 times
As long as you don't move to the area's that have a little more crime then others, you probably won't ever see a gun...

I've lived here for two years now and never seen one

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk now Free

Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,872 times
I see plenty of Second Amendment enthusiasts walking into Tucson-area Wal-Marts, Costcos, etc. with sidearms. More so in the past year or so. Funny, too, since Wal-Mart used to prohibit them in their stores.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 PM

5,053 posts, read 6,352,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHLauren View Post
Secondly, I have a more general question. Tucson may be more "liberal," but it's common knowledge Az is a conservative state. Now, to me Rep/Dem or Cons/Lib labels are tiresome. But they can be accurate, and some people live by dualities. I come up with my own opinions on things. It's a great part of being a human being! Thinking! Free will to decide my own beliefs! But as it turns out, a lot of my views end up being more "liberal." Now, of course I know politics, religion, etc aren't polite conversation; I am respectful of who's around when conversations like this are going on. But I also love to chat about deep and meaningful things... Again, at a party or out with new people... do I need to watch myself? Will I gain enemies (I've never had one)? Will I be ostracized by my acquaintances and peers? Should I really really watch my mouth at work (I work in finance)? Perhaps this question isn't very focused... but maybe there's someone out there with a perspective of being more "liberal" while living in Tucson?
First you say you know politics and religion aren't polite conversation. Well, apparently you don't, because you nearly immediately imply you DO have conversations about them.

If you're worried about it, don't wear your politics on your sleeve and leave politics out of what you consider 'deep and meaningful things' to talk about. It's really not all that hard to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson