Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM

11 posts, read 65,500 times

Advertisements

I will be in Tucson later this month for a couple of weeks at my new house. My question is, what if any are the local TV channels you can get without a cable provider? All I will have is a TV. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,253 times
As with all broadcast stations you can get them with an over the air (OTA) antenna. Assuming you have a fairly modern TV with a digital tuner just about any antenna will do the job; but you may run into issues in some parts of town. The biggest issue will be if you are in the shadow of the Catalinas, as of a few years ago nearly all of the local stations had their antennas atop the Catalinas (north side of town) and you could have reception issues if you were too close or in the shadow).

What part of town will you be in?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
As with all broadcast stations you can get them with an over the air (OTA) antenna. Assuming you have a fairly modern TV with a digital tuner just about any antenna will do the job; but you may run into issues in some parts of town. The biggest issue will be if you are in the shadow of the Catalinas, as of a few years ago nearly all of the local stations had their antennas atop the Catalinas (north side of town) and you could have reception issues if you were too close or in the shadow).

What part of town will you be in?
I'll be in Saddlebrooke. This could be a problem.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 PM

205 posts, read 729,983 times
Did the house you are moving to ever have cable service? Our house did and we just assumed it had been disconnected but hooked up a TV to and found it was still bringing in basic cable AND Internet. Apparently Comcast doesn't physically come out and disconnect cable any longer when a house is sold, I guess just assuming the new owner will subscribe. Been that way for seven months now in spite of a phone call to them to tell them we were receiving basic cable and Internet without being charged - they seemed totally unconcerned. Of course, the former owner left the modem behind so nothing needed to be provisioned. Might check that before installing an antenna.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,547 times
I live in northeast Tucson and use only an over the air antenna. I get pretty much all of the broadcast channels listed in the link below. I sometimes have trouble tuning in the CW (Channel 58).

TV Listings Guide and TV Schedule, Where to Watch TV Shows - Zap2it

Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
antennaweb.org will tell you what stations are available as well as what type of antenna to use if your TV has a digital (ATSC) tuner. Also, AVS Forum has a great section on local digital stations. Find the thread that covers the DMA (demographic market area) you will be in and you can get proven help. Here in the Memphis area, we have determined which antennas work best for different parts of town.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 AM

Thanks to all who responded. All good info. I will try the cable when I get there to see if it is still connected. The house has been empty for a couple of years.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
antennaweb.org will tell you what stations are available as well as what type of antenna to use if your TV has a digital (ATSC) tuner. Also, AVS Forum has a great section on local digital stations. Find the thread that covers the DMA (demographic market area) you will be in and you can get proven help. Here in the Memphis area, we have determined which antennas work best for different parts of town.
I'm glad you posted antennaweb.org; I couldn't remember that site's name yesterday, but it is the go-to place for this type of information.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:25 PM

93 posts, read 143,540 times
There's also TV Fool:

https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Looks like it will be very tricky getting good reception in 85755
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson