Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM

96 posts, read 173,242 times

Advertisements

What could all of the research in the world not have prepared you for now that you have relocated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 PM

190 posts, read 621,129 times
The cost of groceries here. We have found the cost of groceries to be much higher than back in NH. We also miss Market Basket (Demoulas), miss the selection and price. It was truly one stop shopping for us. They had a great selection, simple things like Hood milk/cottage cheese.

And Chinese food, the chinese food here is not the same.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,604,607 times
Bugs. Even though I knew what kind of bugs were here and what they looked like, until you see a 6" long, shiny black beetle in your livingroom (Palo Verde root borer), or cockroaches in your bathroom, or a scorpion in your kitchen, or a vinegaroon in your bed, you aren't prepared for them, and you become semi-paranoid until winter when you are pretty sure they're hibernating....

Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 AM

461 posts, read 1,319,160 times
Being homesick. I relocated here from NE about 12 years ago. I think I cried every day for a month when I first arrived. Now, this is "home" and I can't imagine living anywhere else. Slowly, other family members are moving here as well.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,798,126 times
It's been about 14 years since I relocated to Tucson from Walnut Creek in Northern California . . .

Over the years I have learned there is no perfect place to live, however, Tucson is as close to perfect as possible and I plan to stay.

In response to Mike . . . there are a few, very few in fact, items that are a little more expensive but the large majority are much less expensive. Gasoline, Real Estate Taxes, Sales Tax, Income Tax, Vehicle Insurance, Vehicle Registration, Utilities and most Food Items are all much less expensive.

Also, if Chinese Food is not the same . . . how about the Mexican or Southwestern? Food varies around this country every bit as much as it varies around other countries.

In response to Marcy . . . Bugs are definitely a non-issue compared to California. Is it possible Oro Valley has more bugs because of the new and/or newer construction and development? My home is in a 30 plus year old area and a simple annual dose of exterminating does the trick.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM

339 posts, read 835,734 times
I think all the research in the world cannot take the place of actually living here and seeing for yourself. Research cannot prepare you for how living in Arizona will be for you relative to where you are coming from. I find Tucson to be much better than research could have told me. Compared to where I moved from, the prices are lower/cheaper here, the people are more friendly, it was much easier to find work, and the scenery is awesome. The streets are wider & bigger and things are spread out so that right next door is not as close as next door in some states. Overall I love Tucson, I've been here 2 years and it already feels like home for me.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,757,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

In response to Marcy . . . Bugs are definitely a non-issue compared to California. Is it possible Oro Valley has more bugs because of the new and/or newer construction and development? My home is in a 30 plus year old area and a simple annual dose of exterminating does the trick.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH
No bugs in my part of Oro Valley, I just do an occasional DIY treatment as needed maybe two or three times a year. Seems they have taken a shine to Marcy though

Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Don't get me wrong Bummer, we are not planning to move back to NH. But, to clarify yes gas ($0.11/gallon less than Manchester, NH as of 1 week ago), registration, and Real Estate are less (I would argue the description of MUCH less). We come from NH, there is no Sales tax or Income tax.

But, as for groceries I have verified this absolutely. I have traveled back to NH a couple times recently for business. While there I priced a grocery list of items I purchased here (because we were curious as to whether or not our perception was correct, just a fortunate coincidence this post was this week). It would have cost 30% less in NH. The biggest differences were in Coffee (almost 50% less), meat (which I do find odd), and vegatables. Most of the other items were less, I did not have a single item that was the same cost of higher in NH. I will admit, I went to a store in NH (Market Basket) that is the least expensive store to shop in NH, and the list here was from Bashas in Oro Valley.

And you do have a point, we never ate Mexican in NH and eat it all the time here. My post was not to be negative about Tucson (and yes, your post does come accross to us that you are suggesting as such). The post was what did our research not prepare us for. My research said that the cost of living would go down, some broke out specifically that groceries would be less and we have found (and demonstrated) to be inacurate. Perhaps we should not be buying in Oro Valley but, never the less this has been our experience.

We love it here and are frequently in awe over the sunsets, the mountains, and the weather. If this were a post for what we loved about Tucson we would surely gush. But, that is not what this post was about.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM

Ahh Marcy...the bugs.... As you may remember Helena got stung 3 times by a scorpion last summer. We were prepared for them and scared but, it was not as bad as we expected (don't get me wrong, Helena says it SUCKED, it HURT) but, we have stopped worrying about them. The other bugs you mentioned are gross but, have not had to deal with them yet. Pack rats though...(another post).

Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,798,126 times
Sorry, Mike . . . no negatives implied or suggested.

My point is fairly simple . . . some things are higher and others are lower depending on the area in the country. Since I didn't move from New Hampshire my price comparisons were Tucson vs Northern California when I used the term MUCH LESS.

With no State Income Tax or Sales Tax does New Hampshire have a Personal Property Tax or possibly a high Vehicle Registration Fee? Generally speaking, they get you one way or the other.

One thing I definitely miss from California or even the Atlantic Coast is the great fresh tasting seafood which is a rarity here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson