Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
The biggest disappointment for me is the "bike friendliness" of the city is really oversold. Minneapolis and even Manhattan were much better.
Growing up in Denver I was spoiled; for me, bike routes were along the canals on tree-covered paved paths or around the numerous parks with the occasional road to cross. Here it is primarily road riding or dirt paths along washes. That said, I rode Julian Wash this weekend and really enjoyed it - I will have to take the kids there for a ride before it gets too hot. I think we will start at the Kolb end though so if they get tired we can coast downhill to finish the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM

136 posts, read 261,612 times
I grew up in Minneapolis and we, also, had tree lined bike paths that wound through and beside the many lakes and parks in the city. The biggest problem I find here in Tucson is, there are far more cul de sacs and dead end streets than Mpls. That makes it more difficult to avoid riding in traffic by taking less busy side streets. I ride the Pantano wash fairly often and it is great for simply getting exercise, but going long distances in town, does require a little more caution. On the upside, I don't have to put the bike up for 4 months or so in the winter! (bicycle couriers DO ride year around in Mpls., but those guys/gals are a different breed!!)

The other thing my research didn't prepare me for, is the lack (compared to the Midwest) in what I would call really good sausage and cold cut selections. I have nothing against Boars Head meats, but I've yet to find a good deli that specializes in "House Made from scratch" sausage (although Dickmans does some). I ran into a gentleman from NY, at Sunflower one day that was buying bulk fennel in amounts that were shocking. lol He railed about Italian sausage with no fennel and had to agree with him. No fennel is simply spiced ground pork. IMO I now buy Sunflower Italian, but always add a good helping of fennel/red pepper flakes,etc.

Those short comings aside, I still consider Tucson my little piece of paradise and will continue to work through "MY" little problems.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2farsouth View Post
I ran into a gentleman from NY, at Sunflower one day that was buying bulk fennel in amounts that were shocking. lol He railed about Italian sausage with no fennel and had to agree with him. No fennel is simply spiced ground pork. IMO I now buy Sunflower Italian, but always add a good helping of fennel/red pepper flakes,etc.
You might try the Italian sausage at Roma Imports. I thought it was very good. Don't remeber the level of fennel flavor, but the hot had plenty of red pepper in it! They have a mild, medium and hot, fresh in the deli case or frozen.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
Growing up in Denver I was spoiled; for me, bike routes were along the canals on tree-covered paved paths or around the numerous parks with the occasional road to cross. Here it is primarily road riding or dirt paths along washes. That said, I rode Julian Wash this weekend and really enjoyed it - I will have to take the kids there for a ride before it gets too hot. I think we will start at the Kolb end though so if they get tired we can coast downhill to finish the ride.
I am not a cyclist but I have heard some of them talk about "The Loop"??? Has anyone gone for a ride on this? Sounds interesting and no cars! I believe one of them said the section connectiong the Rillito to the Santa Cruz area just opened recently.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
You might try the Italian sausage at Roma Imports. I thought it was very good. Don't remeber the level of fennel flavor, but the hot had plenty of red pepper in it! They have a mild, medium and hot, fresh in the deli case or frozen.

Thanks, Rick, I'll give it a shot. I can always make my own, Italian sausage is one of the easiest to make. What I really want is real German Bologna, summer sausage, cervelat. polish etc. And scratch made skin on hot dogs. I think the European Market carries real kielbasa and the like, but haven't been there either. Sounds like I'm in need of a road trip. haha

Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times
@Rick. Yes, the Rillito and Santa Cruz have finally been connected. The Loop will be 55 miles in total length basically wrapping around the city. It is not yet complete and looks like it will be complete in about 2 years. It earned Tucson the coveted Platinum rating.
<rant>
What is funny to me is people stating things like: Portland is so much better for biking. LOL. or Minneapolis, sorry but you can ride your bike almost any day of the year without worrying about rain (nvm July and August). Tucson is a world class biking town. No doubt about it. Now I will be the first to complain about bike lanes simply ending. Like at Grant and Swan. But I never ride on Grant, too dangerous. If you take the time, you will find safe routes to almost anywhere in the city. And here is the big one: Mt. Lemmon. Absolutely epic biking. People come from all over the US just to ride up that pristine road. Are there potholes on Tucson roads: just go to 4the Ave and even laugh at the new bike boulevard, are there dangerous drivers: what city doesn't have people on their cell phone, could it be better: get to city hall and advocate. </rant>

Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
I ride on the Rilito part of the loop every day, it's pretty nice. It will be great when the whole thing is done.

Tucson certainly has better cycling weather than most places. I think when it got voted #1 it was because road cycling teams like to come down and train on the hills. It is not that great for day to day commuting. Although, I will admit I was a bit hasty in my initial judgement. If you take the off roads, there is often nobody on them. The best way to commute is to just wind around through empty roads.

Minneapolis has a better bicycling infrastructure than pretty much anywhere else in the USA. A bicyclist can get from one part of town to the other without having to go on a road. There's the nation's longest bike bridge over one of the main commuter highways. It broke the other day, though... and doesn't have as much character as the snake bridge. The recreational paths by the rivers and around the lakes are great. Although, it's cool bicycling alongside people riding horses! Even with much worse weather, there were far more daily riders in Minneapolis than there are here.

That said, nowhere in the USA is very good compared to places like Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Even Tokyo is better. The cities here are just too spread out to ever be great for everyday cycling.

Last edited by rzzz; 03-13-2012 at 12:52 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 AM

101 posts, read 247,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2farsouth View Post
Thanks, Rick, I'll give it a shot. I can always make my own, Italian sausage is one of the easiest to make. What I really want is real German Bologna, summer sausage, cervelat. polish etc. And scratch made skin on hot dogs. I think the European Market carries real kielbasa and the like, but haven't been there either. Sounds like I'm in need of a road trip. haha

You may want to try Buffalofoods.com. It's a bit expensive due to shipping but you will be able to find what you want there and get it next day.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmar1024 View Post
You may want to try Buffalofoods.com. It's a bit expensive due to shipping but you will be able to find what you want there and get it next day.

Thanks for the link! I may have to resort to online purchases, but would prefer to support the local stores, if possible. If I find Midwestern style local sausages, I will be sure to post.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
Prodigal Native: My husband grew up around Monaco and Leetsdale and would ride up Monaco Pkwy to 6th Avenue and the wide, tree lined streets in the older neighborhoods. He rode the Highline Canal area and around Confluence Park. When we moved to Divide, west of Colorado Springs, he'd ride the dirt roads around there with all the hills and valleys. It's harder here with concrete and dust. He found it very challenging with heat, dust, dirt, wind, and less-than-careful-drivers. Riding in the Springs was nice because they had paths and trails for the olypians in training. Enjoy your rides around Tucson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson