Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 PM

135 posts, read 500,761 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I was looking to get a little more info on Tucson. I have researched, seen photos, read posts about the city but I still have few questions. My husband has a chance to get a transfer to Tucson or Phoenix, and I am excited about the possibility since both seem like a nice places to raise our 3 kids(ages 14, 12, 9). I am leaning more towards Tucson just because its smaller than Phoenix and has more of what I am looking for.

We have lived in Laredo(armpit of South Texas) for the past two years and absoultely hate it. Main reason being is because all the garbage that spills over from the Mexican border. This is not a place I want my kids to grow up in. I see that Tucson is roughly 60 miles from the border, but how much influence does Mexico have over Tucson? I guess what I want to know is how American is Tucson? I want a diverse poplulation that Laredo does not offer. We are originally from Corpus Christi and miss the diversity it offered and the fact that people there actually spoke English predominantely as where in Laredo, Spanish is the native language.

Also, I know Tucson has plenty for us to do as a family. One thing I want to know is if Tucson gets major rock concerts? My son and husband often travel back home to attend rock concerts so that would be a bonus for them if Tucson gets them. What major festivals are there in Tucson and other events worth noting?

Any info would be appreciated, thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 PM

4,239 posts, read 14,135,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowviolette View Post
how much influence does Mexico have over Tucson? I guess what I want to know is how American is Tucson?
be careful when you phrase questions in that manner....Tucson, Arizona is safely within the United States!....just like Laredo, Texas is!!!.....

but I know what you mean....Laredo is right on the border, so there will be a lot of Hispanic influence, just like there's ALWAYS been.....

depending on what part of town you're in, you'll hear Spanish....but Tucson is much bigger than Laredo and the majority of the population (something like 70-ish%) has a non-Hispanic name....if it's important to not hear Spanish, you'll easily find 'hoods where English is predominant!......

Phoenix, being more than four times as big, has many more concerts of all types.....but since the guys drive to Corpus for shows, I presume a two-hour drive to Phoenix will be OK.....Tucson does have live shows, but just not as many....many big-name acts do Phx and not Tucson...

Old 04-22-2011, 06:01 PM

135 posts, read 500,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
be careful when you phrase questions in that manner....Tucson, Arizona is safely within the United States!....just like Laredo, Texas is!!!.....

but I know what you mean....Laredo is right on the border, so there will be a lot of Hispanic influence, just like there's ALWAYS been.....

depending on what part of town you're in, you'll hear Spanish....but Tucson is much bigger than Laredo and the majority of the population (something like 70-ish%) has a non-Hispanic name....if it's important to not hear Spanish, you'll easily find 'hoods where English is predominant!......

Phoenix, being more than four times as big, has many more concerts of all types.....but since the guys drive to Corpus for shows, I presume a two-hour drive to Phoenix will be OK.....Tucson does have live shows, but just not as many....many big-name acts do Phx and not Tucson...
Not trying to offend anyone or sound racist by my post...I am hispanic. But i want to live in a city that realizes what side of the border its on.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM

444 posts, read 1,358,928 times
I spoke Spanish more when I lived in Houston than I do here. Nearly everyone speaks English everywhere you go. Some don't speak it particularly well, but they still get by. A lot of the people you'll see who don't speak any English, and why you do better in jobs here (particularly in retail) if you speak Spanish is that we get so many Mexican tourists coming up, mainly from Sonora.

I think Tucson is much more integrated than South Texas, but that may be my own impression.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:14 PM

4,239 posts, read 14,135,646 times
there are parts of Tucson where you'll hear mostly Spanish and parts where nobody knows how to speak Spanish at all...

I'm pretty sure Laredo is much more Mexican-influenced than Tucson since it's right on the border....and Tucson, being a much larger city and getting a lot of "gringo" winter visitors and retirees, will "feel" more American.....the majority of residents here are Anglo, non-Hispanic, or whatever you want to call them

funny: I have a good friend here in Tucson who has a wife born and raised in Mexico....she doesn't like to visit back in Mexico because they are so "Mexican" down there!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:39 PM

351 posts, read 981,897 times
Tucson has a much smaller Hispanic population compared to most major Texas border cities. I've been to Laredo, and it is very similar to El Paso (where I grew up). It's a absolute requirement that you speak Spanish in order to get a service oriented job there. Not so in Tucson.

Looking at 2010 US Census demographics, Tucson has approximately a 40% Hispanic population (70% in the city of South Tucson) whereas Laredo has a 94% Hispanic population. El Paso has a Hispanic population of ~80%.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 PM

22,721 posts, read 24,821,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowviolette View Post
Hello all, I was looking to get a little more info on Tucson. I have researched, seen photos, read posts about the city but I still have few questions. My husband has a chance to get a transfer to Tucson or Phoenix, and I am excited about the possibility since both seem like a nice places to raise our 3 kids(ages 14, 12, 9). I am leaning more towards Tucson just because its smaller than Phoenix and has more of what I am looking for.

We have lived in Laredo(armpit of South Texas) for the past two years and absoultely hate it. Main reason being is because all the garbage that spills over from the Mexican border. This is not a place I want my kids to grow up in. I see that Tucson is roughly 60 miles from the border, but how much influence does Mexico have over Tucson? I guess what I want to know is how American is Tucson? I want a diverse poplulation that Laredo does not offer. We are originally from Corpus Christi and miss the diversity it offered and the fact that people there actually spoke English predominantely as where in Laredo, Spanish is the native language.

Also, I know Tucson has plenty for us to do as a family. One thing I want to know is if Tucson gets major rock concerts? My son and husband often travel back home to attend rock concerts so that would be a bonus for them if Tucson gets them. What major festivals are there in Tucson and other events worth noting?

Any info would be appreciated, thank you all in advance.
Tucson is full of illegals, the Nogales area is a huge crosssing point for them. Much of the area South of the city is illegals, you can go into stores where no one speaks much if any english.

And for all of the bluster about AZ cracking down on illegals.......hahaha, that has mostly been shot down by the courts.

I lived in Tucson for 18 months, mainly left due to the weather....but, the place also feels like 3rd world Mexico in many parts.....that was another reason I left.......go ahead and flame me....that is my impression of the place.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 AM

57 posts, read 112,793 times
"""I lived in Tucson for 18 months, mainly left due to the weather....but, the place also feels like 3rd world Mexico in many parts.....that was another reason I left.......go ahead and flame me....that is my impression of the place.[/quote]"""

I visited Arizona last summer and really loved the Phoenix area!!! What a nice City...

Well I did not like Tucson.... I did also not fell save and the city looked to me like a 3rd world City! I don't want to affend someone it was just my impression I got from Tucson.

I would never live there!!!!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:51 AM

461 posts, read 1,321,789 times
I spent a month in Laredo for work and hated it. You are right...it is definitely an armpit! There is no comparison between the two cities. Tucson is far better and does not feel anything like Laredo. There is no diversity in Laredo and nothing to do in that town. Sure, there are some neighborhoods to the south that are similar, but I doubt you would spend your time there.

Yes, there are concerts here in town but the better ones (along with sports) will be in Phoenix...2 hr drive and not a big deal at all. As far as events go, look on the city's website or tourism website for a list. There is the big Gem Show every year, craft fairs, etc. I promise you that Tucson is far better than Laredo!!

Old 05-07-2011, 11:27 AM

444 posts, read 1,358,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel84 View Post
and really loved the Phoenix area!!! What a nice City...
Kinda says it all right there.
If you like homogeneous, sanitized, chain-oriented, unending sprawl suburbia, then Phoenix is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson