Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM

26 posts, read 95,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
My favorite part of Tucson, is the I-10 North, out of town.
Duly noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNDO View Post
With two small children, I can't help but like Rancho's amenities and activities; are there any other planned communities like that in the Tucson area that I should be aware of?
Well, I already mentioned mine: sierra morado tucson - Google Search

Two of the pics are actually mine I've posted here. There are no pictures of the parks and playgrounds, but I can assure you there are plenty. There are also sidewalks (which is rare in Tucson ) and other walking paths. Not all houses are so close together as on these pictures. There are bigger houses on bigger lots. It's in Vail SD.

I'm sure there must be others, but I just don't know them. Maybe Continental Ranch in Marana...? Marana has good schools. Red Rock Village is of this nature, but that one is halfway to Phoenix.

Last edited by sierraAZ; 07-12-2010 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM

124 posts, read 268,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
........Red Rock Village is of this nature, but that one is halfway to Phoenix.
Red Rock is about 40 miles north of downtown Tucson, Phoenix is about 150 miles from downtown Tucson, now Casa Grande is almost half way to Phoenix, sorry, I had to correct that is a big difference!!

Continental Ranch in Marana is fairly nice too similar to Rancho Sahuarita but more established and has a lot of younger families, schools are not bad, and a lot closer to Tucson than RS and better access to the freeway making other areas of Tucson closer.

Marana has a lot of new developments going on however most are far from freeway and commuting will take a lot longer since there main roads are still not that develop for high traffic.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerey View Post
Red Rock is about 40 miles north of downtown Tucson, Phoenix is about 150 miles from downtown Tucson, now Casa Grande is almost half way to Phoenix, sorry, I had to correct that is a big difference!!
Well, most people with some sense of humor would understand my statement wasn't referring to exact mileage. Also, downtown Phoenix is no way 150 miles from downtown Tucson, if we have to be literal.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
In Oro Valley, Copper Creek is a large development with a lot of families, and is very well-known for their Halloween decorating & trick or treating, and their Christmas decorating. I haven't been through there for a while, though, so I don't remember what kinds of play areas they may have. Still, OV has lots of walking paths, and several parks. Shopping at Fry's (grocery), Target, Ross, Petsmart, Office Max, Sports Authority, Home Depot, and Walmart are very close to Copper Creek, too - maybe 3 miles? Not so close as to be intrusive, but quite convenient.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 PM

352 posts, read 570,121 times
Wink Nice spots in Tucson

I lived in Tucson for several years and for peace of mind, cleanliness, safety, my suggestion would also be northern tucson (Continential Ranch, Oro Valley, River Rd and up) Vail and Rancho Sahuarita are nice, but not much development around the area. Sabino Canyon is nice, but its waaaay east of Oro Valley. Here's a little proactive advice on housing; if you plan to purchase a home-RESEARCH the market; because a lot of people are leaving the city and home values are like a see-saw in different areas of town. I just sold my home and there were around 9,000 homes on the market in May 2010.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I don't know what kind of price range you're in, but homes in North Ranch, while not as new as Rancho Sahuarita, are comparably priced and, to my mind, in a much more highly regarded school district (Marana ... Ironwood Elementary is a stone's throw away).

The development has two pools, a playground, and a community center. It's in a very convenient location with abundant access to shopping, a good library, restaurants, a wonderful Y, and the NW branch of Pima Community College. The Cortaro Road Exit to I10 is very close and best of all, Arthur Pack Regional Park, one of Tucson's best county parks (with a good public golf course, tennis, athletic fields, etc.), is literally right across the street. To see North Ranch mapped out on Google, search for the intersection of N. Thornydale Rd. and W. Sumter Dr. It's the area north of Sumter and east of Thornydale.

There are many other developments -- some at higher price points and many with newer houses -- but few in the area match North Ranch's family amenities and give you a four-bedroom, multiple bath house for $150-250,000. I actually steered away from it when I was buying because I don't have kids and it looked a little TOO family-friendly to me. The Bluffs at N. La Cholla and W. Overton has nice homes below $300,000, but no amenities except for a little playground near the Overton entrance. There are some great homes north and south of Linda Vista between Thornydale and east all the way over to La Canada, but I'm not aware of what child amenities they have.

Oro Valley is lovely, and certainly family friendly in many of its developments, but it's less in the center of things, and definitely pricier than many of the homes located in Marana or unincorporated Pima County. To see homes currently for sale in North Ranch, or any other development, go to this Website, Create Your own Tucson Home Search and search just using the name of the subdivision from the "subdivision" drop-down menu -- and don't fill in any other criteria. You'll see everything that's on the market in that particular subdivision.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:48 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
In Oro Valley, Copper Creek is a large development with a lot of families, and is very well-known for their Halloween decorating & trick or treating, and their Christmas decorating. I haven't been through there for a while, though, so I don't remember what kinds of play areas they may have. Still, OV has lots of walking paths, and several parks. Shopping at Fry's (grocery), Target, Ross, Petsmart, Office Max, Sports Authority, Home Depot, and Walmart are very close to Copper Creek, too - maybe 3 miles? Not so close as to be intrusive, but quite convenient.
Copper Creek centers around its elementary school, so lots of families with younger children live there. Oro Valley is very quiet, safe and clean. Besides what Emeraldmaiden mentioned, Catalina State Park is just across Oracle Rd from Wal-Mart, and there's a full service hospital with a complex of Dr.'s offices attached. There is a brand new McD's being built in front of Home Depot next to the Target/Ross/Petsmart/every other fast food/bank/UPS store/gas station/etc., and 2 miles north is Oro Valley Marketplace. In between are a Chili's and a Wyndam hotel. South is El Conquistador hotel and spa and golf course, Holiday Inn and other restaurants.
Oro Valley Marketplace

Nearer Copper Creek Elementary are a library and Post Office as well as smaller mini shopping centers with independent and national chains. Google Earth Copper Creek Elementary school and you'll get an idea of what the area is like.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 07-13-2010 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: More information

Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 AM

124 posts, read 268,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, most people with some sense of humor would understand my statement wasn't referring to exact mileage. Also, downtown Phoenix is no way 150 miles from downtown Tucson, if we have to be literal.
Sorry sierraaz, I do have a sense of humor, what I was looking at is that this particular person does not live in Tucson therefore she does not understand the difference in distances in the area, for all of us living in Tucson we know and understand how far out of town Red Rock is and yes it might seem half way to Phoenix due to the commute, all is good, I was just trying to be a little more informative as of distances since it seems it is a factor in her search.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerey View Post
Sorry sierraaz, I do have a sense of humor, what I was looking at is that this particular person does not live in Tucson therefore she does not understand the difference in distances in the area, for all of us living in Tucson we know and understand how far out of town Red Rock is and yes it might seem half way to Phoenix due to the commute, all is good, I was just trying to be a little more informative as of distances since it seems it is a factor in her search.
That's all good, but how's saying Phoenix is 150 miles away informative...? Now, if you measure it from Vail in Tucson to I-17 or farther in Phoenix, it might be... but nobody else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson