Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,986,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
OMG did you read the article on that....how the one SEC investigator knew something wasn't right and she was told to back off and pursue something else
I've been following this case, and I was appalled by that incident in particular. Apparently, the guy at the SEC who told her to back off is married to Bernie's niece -- who was employed by Bernie at his company. This is sounding like a bad movie!

But that investigator was only one of many to sound the alarm -- both inside the SEC and outside -- and the SEC ignored them all. It's a travesty -- that some of those federal regulators should be sharing a cell with Bernie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,821,448 times
for example, an inspector general who was investigating americorps is fired by obama. look at all the ambasador appointments, czar positions, etc. its all about paying back favors and other corrupt practices. i only use obama because he is the current president, every single politicians exists only for corruption. thats is their job.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM

13,414 posts, read 28,793,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
I've been following this case, and I was appalled by that incident in particular. Apparently, the guy at the SEC who told her to back off is married to Bernie's niece -- who was employed by Bernie at his company. This is sounding like a bad movie!

But that investigator was only one of many to sound the alarm -- both inside the SEC and outside -- and the SEC ignored them all. It's a travesty -- that some of those federal regulators should be sharing a cell with Bernie!

Yes that was the article and it made my blood boil....all those people that lost their life savings...pension plans, charities..I don't know how Bernie & his band of crooks sleep at night..and I say band because I agree there is no way he pulled off a scam of this magnitude for as long as he did without help

Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 PM

563 posts, read 1,288,573 times
I doubt he will will share a cell with bubba and his friends...
from Foxnews
Bernard Madoff has hired a veteran prison consultant to help him to find the best possible jail in which to serve his 150-year sentence for Wall Street’s biggest fraud.
After his sentencing this week Madoff, now Prisoner No 1727-054, met Herb Hoelter, of the National Center for Institutions and Alternatives, whose previous clients include the jailed Sotheby’s chairman Alfred Taubman and the financiers Michael Milken and Ivan Boesky.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM

13,414 posts, read 28,793,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
I doubt he will will share a cell with bubba and his friends...
from Foxnews
Bernard Madoff has hired a veteran prison consultant to help him to find the best possible jail in which to serve his 150-year sentence for Wall Street’s biggest fraud.
After his sentencing this week Madoff, now Prisoner No 1727-054, met Herb Hoelter, of the National Center for Institutions and Alternatives, whose previous clients include the jailed Sotheby’s chairman Alfred Taubman and the financiers Michael Milken and Ivan Boesky.
Sure he can request but the bottom line is it's the feds call where he goes.
I did read because of the long sentence he will not be going to a medium security facility at least not in the beginning

Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Sure he can request but the bottom line is it's the feds call where he goes.
I did read because of the long sentence he will not be going to a medium security facility at least not in the beginning
i could be wrong (but i never am) but the reason you pay for a high priced prison "consultant" isnt because he can make some recommendations. he probably knows which palms to grease to help assure you that you get where you want to go. maybe he is on some committee that appoints people to government jobs and he can take advantage of that to get what he wants.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,986,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
Bernie's options are dramatically limited by the length of his sentence -- 150-years -- which makes him ineligible for the prisons to which most white collar criminals are assigned.

That's why all of the prison recommendations that Bernie's lawyer made pre-sentencing were denied.

In fact, the the prison consultant whom he hired also develops customized programs to help the criminal adjust to the particular circumstances of the prison to which he is assigned. Later reports said that it was more likely that this consultant would be working with a psychologist to help Bernie make the transition to his new digs.

As for sharing a cell with "bubba," it's reported that Bernie will be isolated for most of the initial stay in the new facility. Apparently in prison culture, stealing from the elderly is the second most detested crime among the inmates ("everybody has a mama") -- following attacks against children (sexual and murders). So Bernie will be at risk for his crime wherever he goes.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:04 PM

23,635 posts, read 17,316,052 times
Default waste of talent just sitting there.....

Bernie should go to work everyday in prison as a volunteer financial guy using his expertise to generate funds to pay his victims back, plus.

He should also be forced to act as a consultant, ironing out the financial problems on Wall st and in the government watchdog kennel that was as complicit as he was. Heck, Obama could make him a czar !!! He could be in charge of watching that other crook who received a special dispensation to head the IRS.

Better yet individual states could contract with his handlers to clean up their messes. Jon, Imean Chris, are you listening ?

Not unlike tom Hanks chacter in Shawshank redemption....but on a larger scale.

Not very satisfying to now give him taxpayer money to subsidize his healthcare, dental, room, food and eventual burial. Let's get our money's worth!!

What a waste having him sit idly in a cell !!!!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Bernie should go to work everyday in prison as a volunteer financial guy using his expertise to generate funds to pay his victims back, plus.

He should also be forced to act as a consultant, ironing out the financial problems on Wall st and in the government watchdog kennel that was as complicit as he was. Heck, Obama could make him a czar !!! He could be in charge of watching that other crook who received a special dispensation to head the IRS.

Better yet individual states could contract with his handlers to clean up their messes. Jon, Imean Chris, are you listening ?

Not unlike tom Hanks chacter in Shawshank redemption....but on a larger scale.

Not very satisfying to now give him taxpayer money to subsidize his healthcare, dental, room, food and eventual burial. Let's get our money's worth!!

What a waste having him sit idly in a cell !!!!!!!!!
im not sure this sentiment is true but i would think that if he was so wonderful at generating money, he wouldnt have had to steal it from people.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:18 PM

744 posts, read 1,409,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure this sentiment is true but i would think that if he was so wonderful at generating money, he wouldnt have had to steal it from people.
Appoint him to run social security, a perfect match for someone who knows how to run a ponzi scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime