Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times

Advertisements

These people worked hard for their money and I feel sorry for them and some people are respondsible that they have looked the other way, and they knew a scam was going on. I don't believe that Madoff could have done it by him self.

Why is the man out on bail!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 05:25 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,393 times
First, these citziens have the same right to be restituted as anyone.
Second, investing in hedge funds is highly risky, but it's a scam what are we talking about here.
Third, Madoff himself and maybe the SEC should be accounted responsible for the mess
Four, if these people knew that something was rotten in Denmark and they kept giving their money to Madoff, then all of above are pointless and I'd say screw 'em.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I think this is different:

nobody put a gun to the investors heads and forced them to invest there! the investors knew there was no transparency but they still put their money there.

i worked for 4 years mainly on hedge fund conferences. i put together more than 20 of these events. i don't recall one event where the transparency issue didn't come up. personally, i would never invest in something where i had zero clue as to what was being done with my money. it's all a matter of risk appetite. these guys wanted huge returns without risk. it's kinda like some people who want to eat ice cream all day, play video games and stay fit and slim.

life just doesn't work that way!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm speechless..just speechless..restitution for high risk investments that had little to no protection ? I imagine there's SIPC but that certainly won't pay the billions lost.

Someone needs to speak up about all the 401K's that have lost money and seek restitution.

UPDATE 1-Hedge fund body wants help for Madoff victims | Deals | Regulatory News | Reuters

snippet:
"Hedge fund trade association the Alternative Investment Management Association (Aima) called on Monday for restitution for investors caught out by an alleged $50 billion fraud at New York hedge fund firm Madoff Securities.
For decades the $1.5 trillion hedge fund industry has avoided the strict rules imposed on mutual funds as their managers argued that their clients were wealthier, more savvy investors who required less protection."

the worst thing to come out of all of this will be the orwellian measures taken by the government. This market does not need to be regulated, it just needs a maddof type character to remind everyone of "CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess no one told them about diversification ?
or
Never keep all your eggs in one basket ?

that's for the old days HappyTex, these ideas that have been drummed into our brains aren't applicable to the modern world.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
If somebody steals your wallet, only they are responsible for your loss.
If you hand them your wallet willingly, then close your eyes and they run away with it, you both share responsibilty .
When the guy you're willing to hand your wallet to wears a black mask, promises to return it to you with twice as much in it and won't allow you to watch him while he's holding it..........

Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
They were on TV yesterday, demanding that someone make them whole for their losses.

because once again, someone forced them to invest ALL their money there!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
These people worked hard for their money and I feel sorry for them and some people are respondsible that they have looked the other way, and they knew a scam was going on. I don't believe that Madoff could have done it by him self.

Why is the man out on bail!!!!

i'd love to know that too, why is he out on bail? i hope the authorities trace all the money he has siphoned off into his family's accounts, trust funds etc. all of it should be repo'ed

Old 12-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
First, these citziens have the same right to be restituted as anyone.
Second, investing in hedge funds is highly risky, but it's a scam what are we talking about here.
Third, Madoff himself and maybe the SEC should be accounted responsible for the mess
Four, if these people knew that something was rotten in Denmark and they kept giving their money to Madoff, then all of above are pointless and I'd say screw 'em.
so who must pay then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime