Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 AM

30,441 posts, read 23,894,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
a bit of a harsh sentence. She should have been given a chance at parole some day. Have seen way worse crimes (with obvious murder 1 planning) and the criminal gets 25 to life.

It's a tough one though. She lured the victim. Without her actions he wouldn't have died.

She seems like a really stupid girl that got in with the wrong crowd.

Personally, I don't like the laws in some states where if you are part of a felony (robbery) that leads to the death of someone, even if you didn't kill him, then you are just as guilty as the one that pulled the trigger. The person that actually kills someone should always be the one that is treated harshest by the state. They are the most responsible for the death of the person.
I completely disagree. Someone is dead. She lured them there to their death. She deserves every last second she spends in that prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 02:02 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,861,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I completely disagree. Someone is dead. She lured them there to their death. She deserves every last second she spends in that prison.
Okay then. Do you think everyone who is responsible(or partly responsible) for the death of someone else should be given life in prison without parole?

Because I have news for you. That's not what happens in the American justice system. Just last night I was watching a program on Dateline where a guy poisoned his wife, was convicted of first degree murder and then was sentenced to life in prison with parole after 20 years. It was a horrific crime with diabolical planning.

With Jennifer Mee we have someone who did a despicable thing. But do we say that this person should never ever be given a second chance? She did not diabolically plan the murder of the victim. She was a pawn in an attempted robbery. She was convicted of pre-meditated murder because of florida law. But she did not plan a murder. That should matter when sentencing her. I'm fine with a life sentence. But to never allow her a chance at parole, and to just sentence a 19 year old girl to her whole life in a cell, when her intent was not murder, to me is wrong. Life in prison with parole would be justice. Without parole that's just cruel.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,997,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Okay then. Do you think everyone who is responsible(or partly responsible) for the death of someone else should be given life in prison without parole?

Because I have news for you. That's not what happens in the American justice system. Just last night I was watching a program on Dateline where a guy poisoned his wife, was convicted of first degree murder and then was sentenced to life in prison with parole after 20 years. It was a horrific crime with diabolical planning.

The American Justice System varies by each state. A few states allow a jury of 6 members,other states don't have the death penalty. Some states allow jurors to asked questions of the defendant. I personally think child molesters should be sentenced to life in prison without parole or just kill them. Any male or female that molest a little child, abuse a little child or murders a little child doesn't deserve to live. In recent weeks, the teacher in Montana raped a 14 year old student. Which eventually led to the student committing suicide. The teacher was released from jail Thursday after serving only 30 days.

I watched that program on Dateline and I certainly didn't agree with the verdict. But it's the great American Justice System. The verdict on the Hiccup Girl did surprise me. But she did lure the guy to his death.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The American Justice System varies by each state. A few states allow a jury of 6 members,other states don't have the death penalty. Some states allow jurors to asked questions of the defendant. I personally think child molesters should be sentenced to life in prison without parole or just kill them. Any male or female that molest a little child, abuse a little child or murders a little child doesn't deserve to live. In recent weeks, the teacher in Montana raped a 14 year old student. Which eventually led to the student committing suicide. The teacher was released from jail Thursday after serving only 30 days.

I watched that program on Dateline and I certainly didn't agree with the verdict. But it's the great American Justice System. The verdict on the Hiccup Girl did surprise me. But she did lure the guy to his death.
Yeah, the American justice system is very inconsistent. Part of this is states having their own laws but even within certain states there is inconsistency in sentencing.

Wolves said that Hiccup Girl deserves her sentence of life without parole because her actions led to a man dieing (she lured him to his death). I'm saying that if you use that as a standard for sentencing then anyone who is responsible for the death of someone else deserves life without parole.

I'm by no means going easy on Jennifer Mee. I said she deserves a life sentence. But she should get a chance at parole some day.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM

12,817 posts, read 15,109,374 times
I don't feel sorry for her one bit! If she's stupid enough to get involved in that mess, then fine. She gets what she deserves.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't feel sorry for her one bit! If she's stupid enough to get involved in that mess, then fine. She gets what she deserves.
this kind of attitude just annoys me. No one is asking you to feel sorry for anyone. And its not about her being stupid enough to get involved in a crime. It's about appropriate punishment for the crime she thought she was entering in to plus weighing the consequences of what her actions led to.

You have people in this country that kill people with diabolical planning and they don't get punished as much as this girl.

Yeah, I'm going to say it. If you think a 19 year old girl should spend her whole life in prison because she was used as a pawn to lure someone to get robbed(who then was killed by one of the robbers). Mod Cut...that is heartless.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-29-2013 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 09-29-2013, 08:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,457,871 times
I don't know, but I do know, I think anyone who witnesses a crime, or is part of it, needs to go to prison.

I remember being sick, when a friend of a rapist, was not charged with any crime, because he just watched his friend kill a child, and rape her. He seemed to be as guilty as the rapist to me. He did not try to stop him, or call for help. That is as sick and twisted as the act itself.

Although, we can debate morals on this forever...and peer pressure, and possible dependent personality disorders, and possible even fear of being killed, yourself...there are too many variables to sort out, but, this is a caution...be careful who you keep company with....that is for sure.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't know, but I do know, I think anyone who witnesses a crime, or is part of it, needs to go to prison.

I remember being sick, when a friend of a rapist, was not charged with any crime, because he just watched his friend kill a child, and rape her. He seemed to be as guilty as the rapist to me. He did not try to stop him, or call for help. That is as sick and twisted as the act itself.

Although, we can debate morals on this forever...and peer pressure, and possible dependent personality disorders, and possible even fear of being killed, yourself...there are too many variables to sort out, but, this is a caution...be careful who you keep company with....that is for sure.
I remember that case. The scumbag's name was David Cash. He knew his friend was raping a little girl and did nothing.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,685,120 times
I think in harsh sentencing of someone who lures the victim to his/her death was "designed" to deter others from participating in crimes...an example would be charging the getaway driver in a bank robbery with murder if his cohorts that actually went into the bank and killed someone during the commission of the robbery...but the American justice system varies from state to state which leads to uneven sentencing...and some people get off easy and others do not...

Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM

14,475 posts, read 14,432,990 times
Quote:

This case deals with legal theories such as "accomplice liability" and conspiracy. American law makes accomplices and co-conspirators liable for substantive criminal acts committed by others who participate in the crime.

Mere presence at the scene of crime is insufficient for a conviction under the law of any state. However, there can be a very fine line between presence and participation. If I am standing next to my friend and he suddenly pulls out a gun and shoots the newspaper delivery boy, I am not legally responsible for what occurred. However, if he is standing there holding the gun and I yell "shoot him" I am responsible for the crime because that act of yelling "shoot him" makes me what the law calls an "aider and abettor". Both of us can be convicted of murder.

The concept of theories like "accomplice liability" and "conspiracy" is that many crimes would not be committed, but for a "herd" or "pack" mentality. Miscreants often derive moral support from one another. Often, a series of acts is necessary to commit a crime. Someone has to buy the gun. Someone has to drive the perpetrators to the scene of the crime. Someone has to help them escape.

The case with the "Hiccup Girl" is troubling, but I admit I go both ways on this one. Hiccup girl was luring a man to a place where she knew he would be robbed at gunpoint. She probably did not anticipate that he would be shot during the course of the robbery. Yet, without her acts there would have been no robbery and hence no killing. Actually, the role Hiccup Girl played in this case is not an uncommon one. Its a role that women have often played, due to the socialization they get. They seldom do killing or robbing themselves, but they use their wiles in a way that makes it possible for men to do it. So, when someone makes the argument "this is all she did". My reaction is "yeah and that is what cost this guy his life".

Bottom line: I would be more comfortable with a sentence of life with the possibility of parole in this case. The parole board should require such an offender to serve a long time before being considered for parole and should be convinced she poses no more danger to society before she can be released. I can say that if I were on the parole board that would likely be a very long time and a good portion of her life would be spent in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime