Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 02:33 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,956,046 times

Advertisements

With retirement creeping up on me I am thinking of traveling the criminals path.

The most interesting facet of Bonnie and Clyde is the amount of travel Clyde could do in a single day in the era prior to the Interstate Highway system.

We all saw the movie but most appeared to take place in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana but the reality is this duo traveled literally all over the country spreading death and destruction.

So I am going to order this book Traveling History with Bonnie and Clyde: A Road Tripper's Guide to Gangster Sites in Middle America and see how it comes out.

Actual travels take them as far west as Arizona (so I have heard) up north to Indiana and all across the south. Sometimes Clyde would travel 1,000 miles in a day which is somewhat remarkable today but back before the Interstate getting that many miles in would almost be miraculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 02:44 PM

22,885 posts, read 6,451,080 times
I wonder if it was true (according to the movie) that copycat criminals robbed banks that were blamed
on Bonnie and Clyde?

Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,363,571 times
Arizona seems to have been a magnet for criminals in the Thirties. John Dillinger, as well as sidekicks Harry Pierpont and Homer Van Meter were captured there; also the Eastern equivalent of Bonnie and Clyde -- "Iron Irene" Schroeder and Glenn Dague. (the latter two after a gun battle in Chandler, if memory serves me correctly).

Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,681,460 times
And, a more recent mobster was living in alias (gov't protection) in Arizona, Phoenix area. About 5 yrs. ago, they busted him for something, drugs maybe??

Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,931,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
With retirement creeping up on me I am thinking of traveling the criminals path.

The most interesting facet of Bonnie and Clyde is the amount of travel Clyde could do in a single day in the era prior to the Interstate Highway system.

We all saw the movie but most appeared to take place in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana but the reality is this duo traveled literally all over the country spreading death and destruction.

So I am going to order this book Traveling History with Bonnie and Clyde: A Road Tripper's Guide to Gangster Sites in Middle America and see how it comes out.

Actual travels take them as far west as Arizona (so I have heard) up north to Indiana and all across the south. Sometimes Clyde would travel 1,000 miles in a day which is somewhat remarkable today but back before the Interstate getting that many miles in would almost be miraculous.
This is true. Clyde learned early on that crossing state lines and a fast car (for those times) and distance was the key to escape. This was during the infancy of the FBI which made crimes involving the crossing of state line a federal issue. It's possible also that other robberies were attributed to them. The only thing about retracing these routes is that many of these country roads no longer exist and the landmarks - like the Platte City motel and the Joplin house where gunbattles occured, have long since dissapeared.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,956,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
And, a more recent mobster was living in alias (gov't protection) in Arizona, Phoenix area. About 5 yrs. ago, they busted him for something, drugs maybe??
Sammy Gravano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What a loser!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime