Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM

7,352 posts, read 11,867,844 times

Advertisements

There is also a very interesting case -- you can read about it in a book called Deliberate Intent by Rodney Smolla -- in which a family was wiped out and they were able to trace the crime scene elements back to a book sold out of the back of Soldier Of Fortune magazine telling the reader how to be a contract killer. The publisher got in hot water legally on top oif the contract killer and the guy who hired him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 PM

5,665 posts, read 6,646,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One famous contract killer was Charles Harrelson, father of actor Woody. He went to prison twice for hired murder. He got out of prison for the first one and then took a job to kill a federal judge. He died in prison a few years ago. Apparently he wasn't that great at covering his tracks, considering he was caught twice.
He killed Federal Judge John Wood in San Antonio. City Confidential did a story on that crime. I'm sure there were other crime shows that profiled this crime as well. And Woody looked very much like his father.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 12-30-2012 at 09:39 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 AM

89,410 posts, read 86,393,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
He killed Federal Judge John Wood in San Antonio. City Confidential did a story on that crime. I'm sure there were other crime shows that profiled this crime as well. And Woody looked very much like his father.
I know! I looked him up once and you could see the resemblance.

I hadn't heard of City Confidential--just looked it up. Thank you!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM

5,665 posts, read 6,646,653 times
My favorite crime show, no longer in production. Paul Winfield was the narrator, he died in 2004. I still miss him! (I whine "Paaaaaul, I miss you Paul!"). I liked City Confidential because it showed the history of the city, from way back when to current day. I also love all the Bill Kurtis crime shows, again, no longer in production (Cold Case Files, for example). And I have noticed they renamed "Forensic Files" Medical Detectives or something like this. Crock. Same music, same narrator (Peter Thomas, who also is perfect for this show). I wonder what Bill is doing now. Guess I'll have to research him.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,845,724 times
I had not known about this case at all until reading this thread - more reading about the case:

Criminal: Charles Harrelson

Charles Harrelson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I had not known about this case at all until reading this thread - more reading about the case:

Criminal: Charles Harrelson

Charles Harrelson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think when Woody first got famous on Cheers there was a People mag article about him, and it mentioned that his father was in prison for being a hitman.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM

17,872 posts, read 16,290,760 times
Richard the Iceman Kuklinski is a contract killer. There will be movie about him out soon starring ironically, the guy who plays a cop on Boardwalk Empire.

Another man, Thomas karate Pitera, was also a contract killer, but killing was not his only mode of living. He did what all the other mobster did, but also killed on orders from higher up. There is a five part vid of his bio on youtube.

The wiki has lots of articles.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Richard the Iceman Kuklinski is a contract killer. There will be movie about him out soon starring ironically, the guy who plays a cop on Boardwalk Empire.

Another man, Thomas karate Pitera, was also a contract killer, but killing was not his only mode of living. He did what all the other mobster did, but also killed on orders from higher up. There is a five part vid of his bio on youtube.

The wiki has lots of articles.
The Iceman was from NNJ, and at the time of his trial, I hung out at this bar where a young lawyer who was working for the prosecutor's office also came after work. He was in the courtroom during the trial, and he said Kuklinski's eyes were absolutely creepy.

Kuklinski is a "was". He's dead. He got the name Iceman from freezing his victim's bodies in a big freezer to disguise the time of their death.

I didn't know they were making a movie about him, thanks. I'll look for that.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 AM

23,558 posts, read 29,526,228 times
From all the mountains of true crime books I've read, the majority of those who hire contract killers are women, to kill their husbands.

So the question is, how do they find them?

And it's all an exercise in futility anyway, as history proves it, when a spouse is killed, and 10 police officers show up at the crime scene, 8 of those, looking at the surviving spouse, will have G-u-i-l-t-y stamped on their foreheads!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 PM

14,994 posts, read 24,109,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
From all the mountains of true crime books I've read, the majority of those who hire contract killers are women, to kill their husbands.

So the question is, how do they find them?!
I think that's been answered. A person has a friend that's been in jail, they contact another friend (former jail mate), or maybe the person they buy meth from, who contacts another friend, who contacts another. These aren't pro's - just desperate drug addicts that will do anything, including kill, for money. These aren't "contract killers" as you see in movies (a fictional occupation) - just junkies. They usually get caught and both go to jail.

The few described above - Kuklinski, did his killing for a few organized crime families only, although I think his "hobby" was also standard serial killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime