Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 PM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this old saying?

Are some victims not as sweet and innocent as the media portrays them?

Why is it I always get a pang of suspicion, when the media portrays many victims as the saintliest people you could ever meet?

I've yet to meet someone with angel wings! Have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
Your post makes little snese. if you mean that the person wasn't just a accidental victim that really doesn't excuse the murderer of responsibilty of the murder;now does it.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,077,030 times
Two words - what ... and ... what???????

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,783,571 times
Well, you don't normally kill someone for no reason at all, but that's not the same as saying the victim is as guilty as the offender. If that's what you're saying...

Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
Nothing to me, is either shiny enamel white or shiny enamel black, except police cars, and the symbolism of that doesn't escape me. Ever seen a grey police car?

So, in every murder case, it's 100/0? Not 90/10, 80/20, 70/30, 60/40?

Many a house is nothing more than a lockbox. Will we ever know what goes on inside a typical "lockbox"?? Inside any number of these "lockboxes" you might get a peak of what hell may be like some day.

Apparently, the media seems to know what goes on inside these lockboxes as they, oftentimes, dwell solely on the angelic aspects of the victim, overlooking the hidden diabolical, which exists in all of us, speaking largely of the cases with a husband or wife being killed.

John Liszts's wonderful wife never told him she was afflicted from complications from syphilis when she married him. Nice!

The Robert Blake/Bonnie Blakely case? 100/0? After reading that book, I grew frustrated, page by page, that he waited so long!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-28-2010 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-02-2011, 10:52 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,289,082 times
The innocence of the victim isn't really the issue.
Vigilante acts, taking the law into your own hands, is the crime.
Now, it might go better for you in terms of not getting the death sentence if you had a good reason for killing someone and maybe even doing society a favor in the process, but it is still against the law regardless unless it was in urgent self defense.

I'm not sure about other states, but Florida had a law for a long time that you couldn't even kill someone breaking into your house unless half their body was INSIDE your house...such as half way in the window. That law has been rewritten....but it explains the point.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,783,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
The innocence of the victim isn't really the issue.
Vigilante acts, taking the law into your own hands, is the crime.
Now, it might go better for you in terms of not getting the death sentence if you had a good reason for killing someone and maybe even doing society a favor in the process, but it is still against the law regardless unless it was in urgent self defense.
I second that emotion!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:23 AM

192 posts, read 436,895 times
Reminds me of an eye-opening moment I had when I went to a child fatality meeting in Philadelphia years ago. During this meeting, representatives from law enforcement, medical examiners office, CPS, DA's office, and others would review child deaths that occurred in the city. For each case, they would present any history of disciplinary/criminal activity for both the victim and the perpetrator. Turns out, most of the "child" deaths were drug and/or gang-related shootings of teenagers, and I was surprised to find that there was usually little difference between the criminal history of the perpetrators and the victims.

Of course, this phenomenon is not restricted to children, nor is it limited to Philadelphia. Baltimore, for example, has an extremely high homicide rate; however, the vast majority of these are again drug/gang related shootings that occur in certain parts of the city. Houston has its share of deaths occurring during "home invasions", which alarm the general populace - but what is not typically reported is the reason why these homes are being "invaded" - most of them are drug houses.

Certainly, there are murders with completely "clean" victims, and these do get much more media coverage - but these are in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime