Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,740 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I are researching the Tri-Cities area for a potential relocation from Bellingham, WA. My husband is from the Bellingham area I am transplant since 2008. We need to stay in state to be close for family reason's and that neither one of us would consider going back to paying state taxes that OR offers its residents.

I love everything about where we are now except the weather. After six years I realize I will not adjust to a life with too little sunshine and no real summers. If I could eliminate the cold weather all together I would. My husband loves to play in the snow along with our adult kids.

I am just wondering if the weather is as good as the advertiser make it seem? very little snow to impact driving, and 200+ days of sunshine and warm weather, where you can actually go swimming in an outdoor pool? (I grew up in the south ~ so yes I am a total wimp when it comes to anything below 70). Since we need to come to a happy middle ground and be within a few hours of family I am hoping a move to the other side of the mountains will work!

Did I mention I love everything about where at - the people, the farmers market, and just the ability to accept others as they are ... (ok sometimes the Canadians get on my nerves but other than that and the weather, its a pretty awesome place).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 01:50 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,784 times
Bellingham is an awesome place. I'm glad you like it there. I liked living there for five years myself. Now onto your question.

YES! The Tri-Cities does get a lot more sunshine. 200+ days a year easy. Note that includes partly sunny days, with passing clouds too. The weather is extremely hot in the summer, and can get bitter cold in the winter. Winters in the Tri-Cities will be colder then in Bellingham . . . mainly just for the month of January. But then things warm up for the Tri-Cities. Summer temps average in the mid to high 80s starting in mid spring to early fall. temps hover in the 70s around that with only four months averaging below the 50s. Even during those months, you will see sunshine, but also clouds too. Note that a lot of the rain clouds hit the Cascade Mountains, then rain themselves out... but clouds do still stray over to the Tri-Cities. On average, except just 3 to 4 days of snow in the Tri-Cities. It will linger if is stays frozen, but the area is fairly flat and shouldn't be a problem for driving at all. About 72 days a year see precipitation below .01 inches. Winters are not extreme by a long shot, just can be cold. The cities are in a semi-arid climate, almost a dessert. In summer especially, hot in the day, cooler at night. Pools are something you will see in many homes. Newer Neighborhoods around the city mimic their Californian counterparts and have palm trees, rock gardens, and swimming pools.

Another thing you will definitely need to grip with in the Tri-Cities is the CULTURE different between Bham and the Tri-Cities. Not just politically, but the mentality of people in the Tri-Cities is different. It is laid back, no rush of Western Washington. Different wants and needs in the area. This is easy to overlook, but is something important that surprises many people.

Services, medical, policing, etc are in all four of the Tri-Cities. Yes, there are four cities in the Tri-Cities... not three. The shopping hub is Kennewick, which has a large mall and stores, but new shopping areas are growing in north Pasco, and in southern Richland. Each city has an old town as well. Kennewick's is historic, with some modern art thrown in. Richland's is art deco, laced with modern art, and Pasco's has become a hispanic cultural hub with ethnic shops and places to eat. The Tri-Cities Airport is a growing airport in the state too, as they are advancing and trying to get more flights. It is certainly emerging. As well, compared to Bellingham, the historic downtowns in these cities are not lively in comparison. What is busy are the modern strip malls and box stores.

All of the Tri-Cities have farmers markets, and each is uniquely different. It is worth checking them out and choosing your favorite. Heck, they might all have qualities you enjoy.

The Columbia River is the source of water recreation in the area, and there are many great trails that line the river, boat launches, parks, and more. You are also close to the wine industry in Prosser, Yakima Valley, and Walla Walla (only an hour away). You are only a few hours from the Cascade Mountains if you want to go skiing in Snoqualmie Pass, or head into the Oregon Cascade's for something different by Mt. Hood.

Don't worry about traffic. There is none. Ha ha! What they claim is traffic is four cars slowing up traffic.

There are several media outlets in the Tri-Cities including radio, newspapers, and television. The Tri-City Herald is the biggest newspaper and would be their equivalent to the Bellingham Herald. Personally I enjoy the Tri-City Herald and read it quite often. There are a handful of local news stations too like KVEW, KEPR, KNDU and others. I always wished that KVOS in Bellingham had a local news program for some local news, or at least a weather report. I always felt we were left out of the media from KING, KOMO, KIRO, and Q13. You can also get all the internet, national channel, etc here that you can get anywhere.

The next thing you need to do is choose a city. Kennewick, Richland, Pasco, or West Richland. I would be happy to further help you in your research.

(PASCO)

(RICHLAND)

(KENNEWICK)

Old 05-01-2014, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,740 times
What a great amount of information! Thank you. Bellingham's energy is unique to itself :-) We typically shop at the farmers market, and co-op, this year we got our own backyard flock of chickens, we have truly embraced living in Bellingham, well technical we are in the county.

I have made the family camp in 90-100 plus weather in July, 2012 so I could dry out from weather here. I am truly looking forward to hot weather again. We are planning on spending some time exploring the Tri-Cities area this summer. My 10 year old step-son will be with us for the summer, and we are hoping to relocate after his visit. Any suggestion key points of interest would be great

In regards to a city hub, my husband will start serious job searching this summer, as to not impact the summer visit. Once we have a clearer picture of the employment, then it will be easier to focus on which city instead of a region. We are looking to visit the region in July,

Thank you once again, the information is extremely helpful.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 AM

541 posts, read 1,730,784 times
It depends what kind of home you want. Suburban or more rural. Almost anywhere you go you will get a bang for your buck.

A new trend is new homes starting as low as $110,000 in Pasco, and they are ugly little boxes. But they are affordable housing if you want a home. You can get pool laden homes in the hills above Kennewick and Richland, with big avenues and grassy medians with palm trees. West Pasco is more rural, with some great lots along the riverfront. There are older, more historic homes, around the historic city centers, as well as apartments in various areas of the cities.

You really just have to find what you like. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:54 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
Bellingham is gorgeous, but home prices there are thru the roof, more then Seattle prices, sad, as I would have chosen to live there myself. I was shocked how high median home prices are there. Tri cities should be much more affordable I imagine.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:43 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
I think you'll enjoy the Tri-Cities area.

If not, here's a suggestion: Look into Ashland, OR. It has many of the same progressive/hippie elements as Bellingham, and it has the hot summers you're looking for. Beautiful area, but rather expensive. Winters there are nicer than the Tri-Cities, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities