Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 PM

322 posts, read 1,108,472 times

Advertisements

I have all summer to do anything i feel like and i know I am working right now but part of me wants to just quit my part time job and Just spend the rest of this summer to walk across america. I would be starting on the West Coast in California and work my way to New York City through the small rural country roads. of course this is just a really great idea at this point but Im seriously considering leaving in early July and just going on till it gets cold then finally then just wherever im at just planning to spend the winter there and in a way "camp out there and survive wherever till the warm season comes then continue on to New York City. The winter scenery is pretty boring and it's just all snow which i personally think it's not too interesting to continue my walk.

So what does the Travel forum public think about this crazy yet possible dream of mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 AM

16,815 posts, read 17,582,425 times
Who's there to stop you?

If you want to do it, do it and don't worry about what anyone here has to say.

Oh, and good luck.

If Forrest Gump can do it, so can you.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:49 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,294,725 times
Peter Jenkins did that in the 70's and wrote 2 books about it.

Those two paperbacks were some of the most interesting books I have read.
He walked from the NE coast to New Orleans. Got married, then he and his wife walked together from New Orleans to the Pacific ocean in Oregon .

If you do keep a journal and eventually write a book detailing your walk, I definitely will buy it and read it.

Good luck , best wishes, on your walk.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,459,848 times
If you have that desire, then just do it. Too many of us have wished to do things and were not able to. As other posters have said, you can write a book about your adventure. If you have the means, make sure that you don't live with regrets. Good luck. I'll look forward to reading your book.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:36 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,492,838 times
"On your death bed, you will not regret anything you did. Only things you did not do." -- Mark Twain.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:54 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,588,761 times
As the previous poster mentioned Peter Jenkin's books, I highly recommend you read them. It was many years ago and he has written numerous books of his travels and adventures since that first walk.. Book One I believe is "Walk Across America" and the second one is "The Walk West" . Once you read them I think you will be hooked. Hey maybe your adventures will turn into a book we can all read.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,918 posts, read 58,741,986 times
You might pursue my idea.

Using a sheepherder's wagon and a tractor w/ sign "will work for food and fuel".

Walking definately is a more challenging option and you'll be in touch with more people, but.... I am thinking WY and SD could be a very long stretch (but the people there are superb, as they are also in ND).

If you are the social type, do the walking. If you are less social do a bike / motorcycle / tractor. If you get sore feet, get a high-speed lawn tractor with a BIG reflector and blinking lights.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,609,127 times
My motto is...life it too short. If this is something you really want to do then you'll find a way to do it.

If my legs were younger, I'd walk with ya.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,294,725 times
Allow plenty of time.

Peter Jenkins walk took a couple years as he stopped and worked jobs along the way.
He, also, took the winter off while walking from New Orleans to Oregon.

I believe he stopped in Colorado and stayed at a ranchers cabin til spring.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,992,041 times
This sounds like a very interesting idea. I was wondering how long it would take. You would definately learn and see a lot.

G Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel