Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,337 times

Advertisements

Later this Month,My Wife and I are going to WDW. Is there anything that Y'all would recommend to go do or see while in Orlando,besides WDW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,645 times
Universal studios/Islands of adventure.....fewer babies/kids with strollers. I enjoy MUCH more than WDW.

Seaworld is nice. More relaxing than WDW but still nice shows and rides.

Aquatica near Seaworld. I haven't been there, but a water park with many animal attractions.

Discovery Cove - part of Seaworld. I haven't been there, but hear wonderful. Limited admission, snorkeling man-made reef, swim dolphins, etc.

We enjoy dinner shows, although they can be a bit corny - Pirates dinner show and Medieval Times.

Blue Man Group at Universal - worth every penny.

Circue de Soliel at disney - worth every penny.

Take in the fireworks at each park. Disney, Seaworld and Universal each have one and they are very different and special. Universal projects images from movies onto large "balls" in a pond with music, and Seaworld sprays water into the air and projects onto it, all while lasers and fireworks are going.

Downtown orlando has some museums, but we never seem to make it there. There are also many flea markets around that are fun to wander through.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
My parents drove out to Cape Canaveral with some friends when they were in Orlando a few months ago. They said it was really fun and interesting. If you want a beach you could drive to Cocoa Beach or Sarasota (a little further, but I like it better).

Universal is fun, but I'd only give it a day or two, tops. I was there for longer and got bored, and noticed that they spent a significant amount of time bashing Disney (I get it, you have a rivalry--though WDW could seemingly care less about you, now entertain me since you've already taken my money). Cirque du Soleil is amazing. I've seen it twice and would happily go again.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
You might*take a day and drive the two hours to Tampa,where the Cuban old town,Ybor City,is packed with good restaurants and museums. Unfortunately it shows better at night when it's lit up like Vegas.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:44 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Universal studios/Islands of adventure.....fewer babies/kids with strollers. I enjoy MUCH more than WDW.

Seaworld is nice. More relaxing than WDW but still nice shows and rides.

Aquatica near Seaworld. I haven't been there, but a water park with many animal attractions.

Discovery Cove - part of Seaworld. I haven't been there, but hear wonderful. Limited admission, snorkeling man-made reef, swim dolphins, etc.

We enjoy dinner shows, although they can be a bit corny - Pirates dinner show and Medieval Times.

Blue Man Group at Universal - worth every penny.

Circue de Soliel at disney - worth every penny.

Take in the fireworks at each park. Disney, Seaworld and Universal each have one and they are very different and special. Universal projects images from movies onto large "balls" in a pond with music, and Seaworld sprays water into the air and projects onto it, all while lasers and fireworks are going.

Downtown orlando has some museums, but we never seem to make it there. There are also many flea markets around that are fun to wander through.

I like Pleasure Island,I'll probably take My wife there and do some dancing in the 8Trax club

Old 05-14-2010, 10:30 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
It's been a while since we visited Orlando - but we enjoyed Sea World and also a side trip over to Coco Beach and a day at Cape Canaveral. The Coco Beach area has some reasonably priced accomodations. I couldn't leave Florida without putting my toes in the sand and salt water.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Once you eliminate all the theme parks and all their offerings Orlando slips back to being anytown USA,i'd head for the coast for some beach

Old 05-15-2010, 07:24 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Welcome to Florida State Parks

Wekiwa Springs State Park has a great natural spring to swim in. Also, there is an opportunity to rent canoes and paddle along the Wekiwa River and Rock Springs Run.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I seem to remember something not far from International Drive called Circus World. Found that interesting--but that was over 20 years ago. Church Street Station, may or may not be around. I was in boot camp there, and we were warned away from...Rose Street? something like that.

It seems to me that WDW is actually outside of Orlando proper. Lake Buena Vista, perhaps. But very close.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I seem to remember something not far from International Drive called Circus World. Found that interesting--but that was over 20 years ago. Church Street Station, may or may not be around. I was in boot camp there, and we were warned away from...Rose Street? something like that.
I think that you need to get back to Orlando more frequently - both attractions are closed:

Circus World at Florida's Lost Tourist Attractions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_...ation_(Orlando)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel