Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,259 times

Advertisements

My best friend and I are going on a leisurely road trip in June. We're not booking hotels, and at this point we're not sure how long we will be gone for or exactly where we will be going, but for at least one week, perhaps two. For me, I am looking to drive past, stop at and take pictures of farms, fields, mountains, bodies of water (scenic places in general, but those that are inherently quiet, small town feel, not touristy, etc), maybe hit flea markets or some yard/garage sales for vintage finds, go horseback riding, see/interact with animals, shoot clays, go to farmers markets, see the culture of small towns, and hit some interesting sites along the way that aren't going to be too packed with tourists, but are attractions nonetheless. We like old buildings and homes, good food, and we don't care for skyscrapers, shopping, or anything really "new."

We are starting in Northeast Georgia, making a loop, likely counterclockwise, with Tennessee being the furthest east, Kansas being furthest north and west, and Houston furthest south. The only large city I care about hitting is Nashville, which is required, and Savannah on the way back would be nice, as well. My friend loves Texas, but has only spent time in Austin (I've never been). Between the two of us, we have never been to any of the states in this loop (except for TX and GA). Most of the routes I'd planned out looked to be around 3,000 miles, but could be plus or minus.

So, I'd love suggestions for smaller towns and cities (versus the larger ones), places to go, places that are pretty, routes to take, etc, and I'll look them all up! Feel free to post pictures or links! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,447 times
Smile Lots of miles for a seven day trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
My best friend and I are going on a leisurely road trip in June. We're not booking hotels, and at this point we're not sure how long we will be gone for or exactly where we will be going, but for at least one week, perhaps two. For me, I am looking to drive past, stop at and take pictures of farms, fields, mountains, bodies of water (scenic places in general, but those that are inherently quiet, small town feel, not touristy, etc), maybe hit flea markets or some yard/garage sales for vintage finds, go horseback riding, see/interact with animals, shoot clays, go to farmers markets, see the culture of small towns, and hit some interesting sites along the way that aren't going to be too packed with tourists, but are attractions nonetheless. We like old buildings and homes, good food, and we don't care for skyscrapers, shopping, or anything really "new."

We are starting in Northeast Georgia, making a loop, likely counterclockwise, with Tennessee being the furthest east, Kansas being furthest north and west, and Houston furthest south. The only large city I care about hitting is Nashville, which is required, and Savannah on the way back would be nice, as well. My friend loves Texas, but has only spent time in Austin (I've never been). Between the two of us, we have never been to any of the states in this loop (except for TX and GA). Most of the routes I'd planned out looked to be around 3,000 miles, but could be plus or minus.

So, I'd love suggestions for smaller towns and cities (versus the larger ones), places to go, places that are pretty, routes to take, etc, and I'll look them all up! Feel free to post pictures or links! Thanks!
My wife and I like to take road trips similar to what you've described. But, after a few of those with rigid iteneraries, we now try to limit our driving time and avoid the Interstates as much as practical in favor of two lane highways.

You estimate travelling 3000 miles in as little as a week. At that rate you'll need to average 428 miles a day. At 60 mph average, that's over seven driving hours/day. Maybe that's OK, maybe not. It depends on a number of factors. Do you want to do your driving on the interstate system? It's great for spanning vast distances, but IMO you generally sacrifice seeing the real character of communities and regions on the interstates. And after all, is't that the purpose of a roadtrip? And, if you plan to do anything other than driving, you'll need to allot that time as well.

My list of places to visit would likely be different than yours. For example, I am very interested in the Civil War and stop at every battlefield. I also like all things NASA and/or rocket related. So, my list for that "loop" you descirbe would include:

Assuming you're starting in NE Georgia.
1. Savannah, GA. Spend at least a day here-ride the paddlewheeler in the Savannah River. Check out the architecture and the history.
2. Charleston, SC. Ft. Sumter-take the tour. You might be surprised to find out that Abner Doubleday (invented baseball) was a union officer garrisoned here at the beginning of hostilities.
3. Asheville, NC. A truly beautiful part of the world. Tour the Biltmore mansion if you can afford the $52.00/person admission. Drive on the Blueridge Parkway southwesterly toward the Great Smiky Mountains.
4. Great Smoky Mtn. Nat'l Park-on the boundary between NC & TN.
5. Pigeon Forge, TN. Dollywood. We really like amusement parks. And this one has the friendliest staff of any we've been to. Great park food too. Loved the barbecue.
6. Nashville, TN. Even if you don't like Country Music-attend a performance of the Grand Ole Opry. Terrific experience. Some don't know that's its still primarilly a radio show.
7. Memphis, TN. Graceland. If you're going to Memphis you must visit Graceland-it's the law!
8. Vicksburg, MS. Visit the battlefield. Allot at least 4 hours.
9. Oklahoma City. Visit the Cowboy Hall of Fame.
10. Dallas TX. Take in the Mesquite Rodeo. Arlington has teh Texas Rangers ballpark and Six Flags over TX.
11. Houston, TX. Don't miss the Johnson Space Center. Then continue southeast to galveston. Ride the ferry to Port Bolivar.
12. Cajun Country, LA. Drive to Lafayette, then take highway 90 southeast. Go to the Tabasco Factory in New Iberia. Take a tour of a swamp.
13. New Orleans. Too much to begin to mention. Note that Bourbon Street is not a place for children. Also, mMake sure you get a hotel that has parking.
14. Mobile, AL. Visit the USS Alabama battleship. That may not interest you.
15. Pensacola, FL. Visit the Naval Aviation Museum.
Then on to Atlanta, GA. Don't miss Stone Mountain Park. Beautiful and fascianting chunk of granite and a lovely park with aerial tram.

My recommendations are merely cities and attractions we've visited and enjoyed. We happen to adore the south and in fact plan to retire there in a few years. Have a look at my profile page where I've posted some photos from the area. Someone else might forward a much different list, but perhaps there's something in mine that stirs your interests. If not-that's OK too. To each his own. Don't forget to enjoy your trip!

Last edited by Jaybee; 04-11-2010 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Mis-spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel