Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:09 AM

24 posts, read 122,033 times

Advertisements

Can ayone please give share experiences on vacationing alone? I never vacation but in the coming months I have an opportunity to do so. It seems I have no one to vacation with. Friends or family either don't have the money (I'm not rich; I am s imple hourly wage but it about time I vacation for once) or are working.

Do you find yourself not having as much or any fun vacationing alone?

I would just love to read some experience on this. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live&Learn View Post
Do you find yourself not having as much or any fun vacationing alone?

I would just love to read some experience on this.
I spent last week in Reno/Carson City alone. My wife had to work and I was on furlough for a week. In many respects, I prefer to travel alone as it allows me to sit down and plan to do what I want to do each day. I do a lot of different things that bring me into contact with other people.

One of my friends is really into tours. He heads to Europe every year with the alumni association of the college that he attended. They do everything as a group of about thirty people. That is NOT my kind of travel but he always has a blast and really enjoys it.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
I did a solo trip to Ireland for 2 weeks back in 1998. Rented a car. I had a fantastic time! No compromising - just going where I wanted. The only time I wished I had a companion was when I'd have a meal at a nicer restaurant and that was only so I wouldn't have to endure the looks of sympathy from other diners.

I haven't done any other long trips solo, but many short ones.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
It really depends on you. Are you comfortable in your own company? Do you find it easy to meet people and make friends?

I did a solo ski vacation at Club Med one year and had a great time. Met lots of people, skied hard and partied hard. And no-one to complain if I got back to the room late

Old 04-04-2010, 08:30 AM

335 posts, read 938,842 times
I absolutely LOVE vacationing alone. Don't get me wrong I have a great time when I vacation with my sister or my boyfriend (rarely, he's not much into travel). But I despise group tours and I love to explore places by myself or with one other person. Hardly anyone I know likes to do this independent oriented travel. So, I go by myself. And I love it! Sometimes to keep in touch I snap a picture on my phone and upload it or email it.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It really depends on you. Are you comfortable in your own company? Do you find it easy to meet people and make friends?

I did a solo ski vacation at Club Med one year and had a great time. Met lots of people, skied hard and partied hard. And no-one to complain if I got back to the room late
Depends on where and what you're planning on doing. My holiday wasn't people-oriented. I had brief conversations with locals but otherwise it was scenery, culture-oriented. I covered many miles.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I LOVE traveling alone. You meet more people than a couple does. The ONE disadvantage as Yank pointed out is that dinner in an upscale restaurant can be awkward but I don't let it bother me. When you remember the dinner later , you don't remember the awkwardness, only the meal. There are some places where they don't LET you eat alone. In Belfast, in particular, three nights in a row I started out my dinner in a neighborhood restaurant and had my chair pulled over to another table,made new friends ,got invitations. This won't happen if you look like you're on your honeymoon.
Even when I'm traveling with with someone, we split up during the day, meet for dinner. Better all around. (Obviously, I'm not a good candidate for organized group tours!)

Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Warning! Traveling alone will spoil you rotten! Try it a couple times, and you'll do it again and again and again.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Warning! Traveling alone will spoil you rotten! Try it a couple times, and you'll do it again and again and again.
Oh, I so agree!!! I like ALL travel, but there are some special moments / hours when solo.
here are some hints:
Solo Travel - Information and Inspiration for Solo Travel - Solos Holidays - Singles Vacation
How to Travel Alone | eHow.com
Ten tips for women traveling alone - SmarterTravel.com

+ check Ricksteves travel, podcasts as I know there was a radio show highlighting solo travel.
http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/podcast.htm

I really enjoy NOT being the 'tour director' and not worrying about making travel partner 'happy', or appearing to be 'bossy' by being decisive. I really have a blast by myself, but meet tons of people and strike up conversations with locals. I also stay in private guest homes (travel directories) Very safe, comfortable, (cheap... $10 / night), and interesting.

The disadvantage is on road trips and not having an extra driver to help make tracks. For flying vacations, I almost PREFER solo. , big cities, foreign countries, trekking, backpacking, motorcycling, 'working travel' (when you pull off the road for a few weeks and get a job). All is easier solo. Adventure (Whitewater and wilderness climbing) may be the exception. I know a group of 70 yr old guys got airdropped into Alaska wilderness and they lost their rafts a few days into the trip, that would not have been fun alone. They made it, just a tad late for the flight out...

Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I travel either with my husband, or alone. Will not travel with other family or friends.

LOVE to travel by myself because I'm content with my own company and don't have to compromise my time with someone else. It can be quite addicting.

In '08 I spent 10 days in Manhattan alone, and would do it again.

However, I do only domestic travel.

You didn't state what kind of vacation you have in mind (big metroplitan city, hiking, road trip. . .) but make sure you're well-equipped with maps and information, and have reading material with you for quiet times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel