Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:42 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,396,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Wait until they unveil the pay toilets in cattle class.

Now there's a revenue maker.
Ryanair, a Ireland based cheapie airline, was discussing charging 1 euro to use the toilets. I think they withdrew that because of the bashing they received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,380,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
If going bankrupt, billion dollar losses, and massive employee cuts aren't good enough reasons for you, what are?
If they go bankrupt, then they shouldn't exist anymore.
And we, ordinary travelers, are not responsible for this bad economy. We too need to sacrifice a lot in order to keep traveling, and thus, in a way, helping companies. But everything should still be included: bagagge, blankets, food etc, especially on long flights.
A cheap airline like Ryanair is OK for short journeys, you can do without having a meal on board, and you won't need a blanket. But on "regular" airlines which provide long flights, air fares are already high, it's not fair to ask people to pay extra for such services!!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,823,136 times
I always dress comfortable on flights. And, they never wash those blankets.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,629,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
If they go bankrupt, then they shouldn't exist anymore.
And we, ordinary travelers, are not responsible for this bad economy. We too need to sacrifice a lot in order to keep traveling, and thus, in a way, helping companies. But everything should still be included: bagagge, blankets, food etc, especially on long flights.
A cheap airline like Ryanair is OK for short journeys, you can do without having a meal on board, and you won't need a blanket. But on "regular" airlines which provide long flights, air fares are already high, it's not fair to ask people to pay extra for such services!!
If you look at the sum of their earnings/losses airlines on average lose money. Air fares on the whole cost the same as they did in the early 80's and that doesn't include inflation. In other words it would be like you working for the same amount of money you did in the 80's, today. Think you can pay your bills doing that?

Adjusted for inflation air fares should average around $800, instead they are in the upper $200's. The consumer wants the cheapest fare possible, and the airline industry adapts to offer what the public wants.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ource=bigimage

Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM

16,415 posts, read 30,547,735 times
Certain airlines have abandoned the hub and spoke system, pay their employees well, and manage to make money while doing that.

Other airlines continue to operate under the "same old" business model that still does not work and use the bankruptcy courts to reduce their operating cost. And they fee their customers to death.

I live next to O'Hare in Chicago and I have flown out of that airport twice in the last eight years. For my monthly flight, I head to Milwaukee and Chicago-Midway or other regional airports where the fares are more affordable.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,394,884 times
I sometimes take my own little fleece throw. I drape it around my neck, and so far no one has noticed (since it isn't in my carry-on). I guess you could buy the pillow-throw just once and re-use it for future trips.

I also hate the exhorbitant costs of the snacks they charge for. $3 for a dried crumbly cookie.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,782,336 times
Boo-Hoo-hoo, Fly First Class and you wont have to pay!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,728,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Hmm. Renting a blanket for $8 a night, for one year, comes to . . . . . . 8 x 365 = . . . .

How can I get a piece of this action?
It's not a rental. You get to keep it, and take it with you on every trip.

Our package has a blanket, pillow, eye mask, ear plugs, and Skymall coupon for 10 bucks. The coupon is worth more than the purchase price of the entire package. Of course, I don't know anybody that has actually bought anything from Skymall.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:35 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,394,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you look at the sum of their earnings/losses airlines on average lose money. Air fares on the whole cost the same as they did in the early 80's and that doesn't include inflation. In other words it would be like you working for the same amount of money you did in the 80's, today. Think you can pay your bills doing that?

Adjusted for inflation air fares should average around $800, instead they are in the upper $200's. The consumer wants the cheapest fare possible, and the airline industry adapts to offer what the public wants.

FRONTLINE: flying cheap | PBS

My first step into a plane was in '80, from Portland to San Jose, CA. That flight totalled $285 30 years ago. In the 90's I paid a lot less. However, 1980 was before the travel boom when people booked vacation packages to everywhere due to the drop in fares. When flying became affordable to the mass, more people flew, flights were usually full, and although the ticket costs were less, I'm sure that the volume of riders made up for it.

The one main cause for change was 9/11, plain and simple. Heightened security costs, and airports have been unpleasant places to be since terrorism raised its ugly head. Then the economy came crashing down.

People still need to go places, but a short flight to the next state for $800 would never fly (pun intended). More people would either drive it or, if they're not pressed for time, Amtrak/"Dog" it. But that's the key ~ time. Life in American travel is much different than it was many decades ago when people had to travel the slow way ~ from stagecoaches to trains to cars to busses. Internationally, by ship.

There is no easy compromise.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 PM

6,587 posts, read 17,631,295 times
I don't like airline blankets, anyway. They seem like nothing more than static magnets! By the time I get to my destination my hair is standing on end. Nah, no thanks. I can live without a blanket and pillow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel