Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
If you are in the back of the plane, it might take 20 minutes (literally) to deboard once they open the doors.
Don't even stand up ...
Just sit patiently until the dingbats in front of you, who think that standing up for 20 minutes will help make things go faster ....are almost gone.

If the seat in front of you, once you stand up, is in your way, then just push hard forward. Most seats, when properly adjusted, will move when forced forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
Here's my advice: When you reach your destination, please be careful when you stand up after the plane has landed and is at the gate. I'm only five feet tall, so I usually don't have problems, but once I stood up in an MD-80 (I was at the window) and whacked my head against the ceiling really hard! Unfortunately, the fuselage is curved, so the height was much shorter at each window. The pain almost brought tears to my eyes. The embarrassment made me just rub the back of my head and shrug my shoulders when people near me asked if I was all right.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,404 times
I fly from Detroit to LV regularly. I do not mind flying (don't like crashing, but...)but I do detest the airport experience and usually cannot wait just to get going. Last couple times have been very easy. Lots of good advice here. Do not forget your ID as you will need to show it at the ticket counter if you are getting your boarding pass there or checking luggage and at the security. After that, you don't need it.

Amazing that there are so many people irritated with all the people who stand and lollygag waiting to deplane. I thought it was just me and my husband. It is soooo annoying to me and it is made worse by the airlines charging for luggage because now there is so many people doing carry-ons.

Landing in Vegas is typically a breeze. Depending on which airline you are flying on, you may have to take the tram to the baggage claim. Signs are marked well. Just keep watching directions for the baggage claim. Most times the pilot or the flight attendant will tell you the carousel # that your luggage will be on. If not, they have screens there that tell you or you can just look at the carousels, but there are quite a few. Taxis, limos, rental cars and all that are right there, self-explanatory.

Have fun!!! Wish I was going soon! I am freezing in MI, with a house in Vegas!!! Ugh!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
... If the plane is shaking in the middle of the flight, you are just colliding with clouds, which have a physical mass (turbulance) and all will be fine. Don't panic.

Are you serious? Turbulence, in this case convective air currents, the natural lifting of lighter warm air into the atmosphere, can cause clouds when the warmer, wetter air rises, cools, and condenses. It's not the clouds that cause the turbulence but rather the turbulence that causes the clouds. Puffy (cumulus) clouds actually show the air movement -- similar to boiling water.

Air below cumulus clouds is usually rough, and it stays that way until you get above the clouds. Generally once you get above the tops of the clouds the air will be more stable. But not always. Turbulence can be caused by high altitude wind shear too, and it's often more severe and widespread than that caused by convection.

Stratus clouds are more like a flat layer, like fog, without the puffiness. That indicates there's no convective currents -- and generally no turbulence.

Clouds are actually less dense than dry air, not that you'd notice it while flying.

I realize this is of no importance to anyone.... I just didn't want passengers thinking that turbulence is caused by flying into one of those dense clouds.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 AM

111 posts, read 435,409 times
Don't panic when you hear unusual noises or feel unusual bumps in flight. Look at the other passengers and even the flight attendants. If they don't seem alarmed by it, then there's no reason for you to be alarmed either.

Enjoy your flight.

Keep in mind, Las Vegas McCarran International is usually slow about getting baggage to the carousels. I've waited up to 35 minutes for a single bag from my flight to appear and it was at least an hour before mine showed up. The good thing is there's slot machines right by the baggage claim if you want to get a headstart on gambling

Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,495 times
I fly quite a bit, so I can give you my perspective:

1) Give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, say about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. This is alot, but if you aren't familiar with the airport, security lines, etc, it's better to be way early than rushing and forgetting things. Are you driving yourselves to the airport or taking a cab? Be sure to get directions and time to find parking. I park in the long term lot no matter how long I'm gone, it's just cheaper. They usually have shuttles to the terminal. Just look around. If you're getting a ride, you should get dropped off at the door to your airline.
(Oh, and call your airline and confirm your reservation!!)

You'll proceed to the ticketing counter, either self check-in using the kiosk, or wait in line for an agent. They get your photo id and issue your boarding pass. And will check in your bag if you have any. Some airlines charge up to 50.00 for the first checked bag, and 25.00 for the 2nd, and so on, when you call to confirm your reservation, you can ask what the checked bag fee is or check online. That way, you are not surprised when you check in! If you aren't checking bags, then you don't have to worry about this.

After your boading pass is in hand and your bag is checked in or you have your carry-on, you'll proceed to the security checkpoint. This is where you will need to prepare your ziplock baggie of liquids, laptop, shoes off, etc. This actually moves pretty well, especially if you are early and start untying shoes, jacket off, labtop out of the case, id and boarding pass in your hand.

2) Don't worry about your prescription eydrops, as long as they are in your baggie, I doubt that they will even notice. If you want to include the prescription label, you can. As long as your 3.0oz liqiuds are in a baggie, you won't have any issues. (Usually, but they could always inspect the baggie, depending on different things, but I wouldn't worry about it).

After security, you'll proceed to your gate, if time, you can always go to a bar and have a quick drink or bite to eat before your flight. Check the departure monitors to confirm your gate numbers. (these can change at the last minute so stay updated on your gate number!)

Then it's just waiting for your flight. My least favorite part of traveling, But at least you have time to relax.

3) Just give yourself time for parking, or wating for a cab, etc to get to the airport. Have your id, a copy of your itinerary, prescriptions if you want to bring them.
Drink plenty of water, have a light snack, also, bring snack items for the plane, pretzels, nuts, granola bar, dried fruit, a banana, apple,etc, they no longer feed you very well, so if you have your own, you're set!
Oh!! buy bottled water or other beverages AFTER security, since you will not be permitted to have any liquids over 3 oz, or in your hand.

I hope these tips help, have fun on your trip and tell us how it went!

P.S.- Be prepared if there is weather trouble or plane trouble, gate changes, etc. There's always a chance for these problems, just take them in stride and be patient!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsobeer View Post
A couple friends and I are going to Vegas in a couple months. I've never flown before. I'm not afraid of actually flying, but I'm nervous because I've never done it before. So I guess I just have a couple of questions.

1) Can you explain the process from say, leaving the house to go to the airport up until leaving the airport in Vegas?

2) I know a little about the security rules, but not much. I have to use prescription eyedrops. Are these included in the 3.5 oz rule or are they an exception because they're a prescription? Do they need to be placed in a bag? Do I need any documentation proving that they are prescribed to me?

3) Any advice for a first-time flyer?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:25 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
For a first time flyer my biggest piece of advice would be take your time and get there early since everything is new to you.

For security take everything metal off of you and your shoes, jacket etc.. Its pretty easy.

For the flight GET A WINDOW SEAT!!! Enjoy the view!!! Dont worry about any weird sounds you hear bumps etc.. 99.999% are normal. After that just enjoy flying! Its great, I love aviation and everything about it. Many people hate it. But even with security and lines I dont see how you can hate seeing the world at 38,000ft going 530mph. Flying in the air on something that weighs over a hundred thousands pounds.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
All good advice. A couple other little details I'd add...

Depending upon your approach to McCarren, it may be a little disconcerting to a new flyer...I've been on approaches where it almost felt as if you were winding in amongst skyscrapers as you descend to the airport. If that happens to you--normal. As someone else said, observe everyone else reactions...if they're screaming, feel free to join in.

One other thing--if it's been mentioned already please forgive me. Keep your seatbelt fastened while in flight, even if they turn off the "fasten seatbelt" sign. My dad was career Air Force and gave me that advice years and years ago, and twice it's kept me from possibly being injured. There is a thing called clear air turbulence and wind shear which can on very rare occasions get rough. In the '70s I was on a flight between Minneapolis and Seattle and hit some that caused us to drop quite a ways rapidly. My most vivid memory is of the stewardess and others plastered to the ceiling, the drink cart in mid air. I still had my seatbelt on and was fine. (We landed in Glasgow, MT to get a couple people to the doc there.) Just keep your belt on during the flight (I loosen mine a bit between takeoff and landing.) and you'll be fine.

Now, that's the worst flying horror story I have. I've flown for over 50 years and almost never have had an issue and still enjoy the actual flying part (not the airport so much any more).

I second the advice about getting a window seat if you can...enjoy the view!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel