Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,571,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
One approach would have been to ask where his seat was and if it was one you wouldn't have minded moving to, suggest that you exchange seats so he could be near his friend.

I would have taken that approach 1st also. No need to get hostile or upset unless all civilized attempt fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 AM

195 posts, read 295,087 times
I asked the man who was sitting next to me to exchange seats and he refused. He later said after the friend finally left that I had no right to complain and there is no right to personal space on an airplane as long as the person is not physically touching you.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,737,956 times
I would have asked to switch seats, either with the window guy or the friend. Since the window guy was hostile, I would have called the flight attendant over and in front of him/her asked something to the effect of: would it be ok to switch seats with the standing guy, as you are extremely uncomfortable, and it's a safety hazard for him to be standing in the aisle for an extended period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
I asked the man who was sitting next to me to exchange seats and he refused. He later said after the friend finally left that I had no right to complain and there is no right to personal space on an airplane as long as the person is not physically touching you.
Well, that's just rude. I probably would have been a child about it and encroached on him as much as possible (and sure hope he doesn't have to go to the bathroom, as I wouldn't move).

Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,811,244 times
What a jerk!! After firmly asking him to move with no response I would have called for an attendant

Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,982,942 times
The guy was rude. You should have done more than politely ask him to move out. I would have moved him on. Im suprised the flight attendants didnt come move him because you arent supposed to be blocking the aisles as far as i know.

G Man

Old 12-03-2009, 08:01 AM

136 posts, read 424,915 times
Hell No !
You did have your space invaded and you should have insisted that the airline do something right then & there to help You.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,498,823 times
Just tell the flight attendant you heart him whisper something in Arabic, if you really want to play dirty.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,738,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
All it would have taken is a push of the attendant call button. I can't believe that people don't know how to stand up for themselves.
Yup.

And I also would have gotten loud. But I am a man.

Stranded and Lonely huh?...hmm wonder why? I'm just saying.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,704,441 times
I'm willing to bet that this was an International flight, it wasn't an American based airline, and the gentlemen were from a country that treats women as second class citizens.

Am I even close in my assumptions?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:41 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,162,110 times
Of course you should have said something and can probably think of hundreds of things that you could have done (hindsight is always 20/20 and I always come up with great responses to rude people AFTER they've left ).

First, I would say to you as a former flight attendant that you should have contacted one of the attendants as soon as he responded that you should just "get over it." Someone else posted correctly that no one is supposed to just be standing in an aisle anyway.

Second, I could tell you some horror stories to make you happy that you only had to deal with the guy's crotch. I was called by a passenger whose seatmate was sitting reading Playboy magazine on a night flight from Las Vegas to Newark and decided to not only read the magazine, but to unzip his pants...and well...you know. Ugh. I've had people who were sitting next to the lavatory on flights from Mexico where someone with Montezuma's revenge made a run for the bathroom but was too late. Same for someone who was sitting in a window seat, felt nauseous and finally got up only in time to barf on the person sitting in the aisle seat. Plane travel is not pretty.

Finally, I would tell you that sometimes you just have to let stuff go. Yes, you have a right to be irritated but this "gentleman" clearly had no concern for anyone but himself. There are people like that all over the world. You find them when you try and be polite and then realize that in their world, life revolves around them and they don't care for anyone's discomfort, inconvenience, or time. Wasting more than a few minutes being irritated gives him more time than he deserves.

Just keep reminding yourself that if he treats a total stranger that way, he is likely one of those losers on his 4th or 5th wife, spends most of his income on court-ordered child support payments (since he probably couldn't be counted on to make them voluntarily) and has eaten his fair share of booger and loogy-filled food at various restaurants when he was no doubt rude to his server. I'm not a person who wears rose-colored glasses, but I'll be willing to bet that you now have a great line or idea of what to do if that ever happens again. Consider it your "learning curve" and prepare for the next idiot to come your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel