Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,114,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If your bag is too large they will put a tag on it when you go through check in at the top of the boarding ramp. You leave your bag at the bottom of the ramp by the door into the plane and they will put it in the luggage hold. After the flight you wait at the same place you left the bag and they will bring it back to you.

The thing I find interesting about this: We are warned constantly not to leave our bags anywhere. To have them in our possession at all times. Then they tell us to just leave them sitting at the bottom of this ramp by an open door and go into the plane. LMAO!
Yeah, this happened to me years ago when I was boarding a tiny commuter plane.
The same thought ran through my head.
I only travel with a backpack, and that pack had everything I needed for a two week trip. But all was well.

To me, carry-on is always better. It saves time and helps prevent theft and loss.
They are becoming stricter about carry-on, probably for good reason.
But I am going to continue doing it, even if I end up having to buy a smaller backpack. Right now, my pack only fits under the seat in front of me if it is not fully packed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 11:14 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,322,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If your bag is too large they will put a tag on it when you go through check in at the top of the boarding ramp. You leave your bag at the bottom of the ramp by the door into the plane and they will put it in the luggage hold. After the flight you wait at the same place you left the bag and they will bring it back to you.
This is absolutely not true. It's only for commuter/regional planes, where no bags will fit into the overhead compartments and every passenger must gate check. They will not gate check a bag just for you on a regular sized plane. If your bag doesn't fit, they will bag check it and you will pick it up in the baggage claim, with the rest of the people. The only things they take from you and return upon landing on regular sized planes are strollers and wheelchairs.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:18 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,028,602 times
For short trips I only take a small carry-on. I can get my laptop and a couple days worth of clothes in it. It is small enough that it will fit in the overhead bin of just about any type of plane. For more than a couple of days I check a bag. I almost always have one or more connecting flights. The last thing I want to do is lug a 50 pound suitcase from flight to flight. I also wish the airlines would limit carry-ons to one per passenger period. The second carry-on bag policy is being way over-abused by a lot of passengers. The small computer bag seems to have grown into a full size rollerboard suitcase as of late. The other day a passenger carried on two rollerboards which would only fit sideways in the overhead bin. He actually had the nerve to ask me if I would put my carry-on under the seat so that he could put his second bag in the bin. I suppose a simple no would have sufficed for my answer. However my answer went a lot further than just saying no.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 PM

111 posts, read 436,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
For short trips I only take a small carry-on. I can get my laptop and a couple days worth of clothes in it. It is small enough that it will fit in the overhead bin of just about any type of plane. For more than a couple of days I check a bag. I almost always have one or more connecting flights. The last thing I want to do is lug a 50 pound suitcase from flight to flight. I also wish the airlines would limit carry-ons to one per passenger period. The second carry-on bag policy is being way over-abused by a lot of passengers. The small computer bag seems to have grown into a full size rollerboard suitcase as of late. The other day a passenger carried on two rollerboards which would only fit sideways in the overhead bin. He actually had the nerve to ask me if I would put my carry-on under the seat so that he could put his second bag in the bin. I suppose a simple no would have sufficed for my answer. However my answer went a lot further than just saying no.
I had a similar experience on last flight. I usually have some reading material in my carry-on so I almost always put my bag under the seat. This man came down the aisle with a roller and a fairly large duffel bag that was clearly over-packed. He asked me if I minded moving my bag so he could put his bags in the overhead. I politely told him that it wasn't my bag since it wasn't, but I'm afraid to think of what I may have said if it would have actually been my bag.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,114,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I also wish the airlines would limit carry-ons to one per passenger period. The second carry-on bag policy is being way over-abused by a lot of passengers. The small computer bag seems to have grown into a full size rollerboard suitcase as of late. The other day a passenger carried on two rollerboards which would only fit sideways in the overhead bin. He actually had the nerve to ask me if I would put my carry-on under the seat so that he could put his second bag in the bin. I suppose a simple no would have sufficed for my answer. However my answer went a lot further than just saying no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
I had a similar experience on last flight. I usually have some reading material in my carry-on so I almost always put my bag under the seat. This man came down the aisle with a roller and a fairly large duffel bag that was clearly over-packed. He asked me if I minded moving my bag so he could put his bags in the overhead. I politely told him that it wasn't my bag since it wasn't, but I'm afraid to think of what I may have said if it would have actually been my bag.
OMG!
These stories just blow my mind!
The whole baggage situation probably needs its own thread.
There are justifiable reasons for people wanting to do only carry-on, but people do carry (forgive the pun) it way too far.
Overhead bin space never used to be so in demand.
I've seen altercations erupt between passengers when someone else takes "their" space (the overhead bin space above their seat.)

Old 10-20-2009, 07:08 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,742,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I may be traveling within the US and want to know how to pack.

I would be taking a laptop in its own bag with me and a small bag with a few days worth of clothes, my cell phone and my electric razor. Nothing more.

Am I better off carrying both on or just carry the laptop on and check the small bag in?

Unless you've got a lot of liquids, carry them both on. I often just wrap my laptop in clothes and put it in the clothes bag to minimize what I'm carrying.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,842,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
This is absolutely not true. It's only for commuter/regional planes, where no bags will fit into the overhead compartments and every passenger must gate check. They will not gate check a bag just for you on a regular sized plane. If your bag doesn't fit, they will bag check it and you will pick it up in the baggage claim, with the rest of the people. The only things they take from you and return upon landing on regular sized planes are strollers and wheelchairs.
I appreciate the information. However stating that it is absolutely not true and then adding that it is only for commuter planes negates the original comment.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,812,922 times
It's always better for you if you can do all carry-on. When I do a short trip, I pack a carry-on rolling suitcase with my toiletries, clothes, and shoes, then I throw my laptop in a sleeve-type case, then throw that into a backpack with whatever else I have like books, etc. Sometimes I need to use the backpack for a few extra clothes or shoes.

When you get to the airport security check, you will remove your shoes, so try to wear the easiest shoes to slip on and off. The only other thing you have to remove is your laptop, which must go through on its own in a bin.

There are rules about liquids/gels - you are limited as to how much you can bring as carry-on. They will confiscate if you have more than the allowed amount, so be careful if you're bringing that expensive cologne/perfume, or makeup, or other product. Here are the rules for liquids:

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel

You can buy inexpensive clear containers for sprays, fluids, creams, etc. at a dollar store, usually. Use a 1 Quart Ziploc to package them, and it's a good idea to take along a few ziploc bags extra, I always end up using them for receipts, change, and all sorts of things. If anything they help me organize my small stuff during travel.

Below are all the rules for what you can or can't carry-on. Most electronics are perfectly fine, and razors are fine if they are the normal "safety" razors for shaving as opposed to old-fashioned straight razors or boxcutters. Note - no meat cleavers allowed! lol

TSA: Prohibited Items

Also, notice that a lot of what you can't carry on is permitted in checked luggage, so sometimes it's worth it to check luggage just to be able to carry certain things home. On my last trip home from California I had bottles of wine which were not permitted to carry on, so I wrapped them up real well with bubble wrap and clothes and put them in my checked luggage. My brother has brought home wine from France, Argentina, Italy, etc. by doing this.

So, look at what you're taking and assess all your options by checking the TSA website. It sounds to me like you'll be fine to carry-on all your luggage, which will help you avoid fees and will also save you from waiting at baggage claim.

One other tip - I always print out the TSA's pages on what to bring and what not to bring, in case there is a discrepancy with an agent who is mistaken, it has helped me clear up some conflicts to my favor. (Lately though they seem to be on top of the rules, but it can't hurt to carry these with you.)

Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,350,565 times
Some people will take anything as a carry-on...
In one of our last flights there was a guy with a big skateboard. It took all the space in the overhead compartment. He eventually agreed to keep it with him, but of course there was no room under the seat for such a long item. And while trying to take it down from the compartment, he almost hit me on the head with it...
By the way, it would be great if people paid attention to the other passengers while boarding and stopped hitting them with their huge bags...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel